Shooters Design

Vamp V^^V

Hey there,

I'm relatively new to the world of custom slides, etc, and I was simply wondering, are Shooters Design slides and barrels worth the money?

From what I have seen on Den, they are a lot more expensive than some other makes (although less than Prime), I was just wondering whether it is worther spending the extra cash on them?

If it makes a difference, I'm thinking of getting the SD slide and threaded barrel for the KSC USP .45.

SD slides look really great. The CNC finish is top notch and like others have said their fit is generally near drop in. I tend to use their line of upgrade parts for the TM Marui and WA Infinity series almost exclusively. In general, you can't go wrong with their slides.

I do not have experience with an SD slide on a KSC USP as you are specifically asking about, however.

I've used SD slides (and Prime and PGC and some cheapos) and I like SD, personally.

If the tolerances ARE bigger than others it's by 1/1000ths of an inch and I appreciate the fact that they work out of the box (to be honest, though, I don't recall filing down any slide, ever...)

Cheers.

well, I can tell you now the tolerances are far worse, I'll list the things wrong with both my V10 slides.

1) very loose fitting, if you have a metal frame already, you risk the chance of it not fitting (if you modded the frame slightly to accomodate the original slide)

2) Didn't cycle, the internals of the slide which are meant to interact with the barrel did not work, had to have the barrel pinned down in the slide before it would work (conical barrel)

3) Trades, the trades were deep, but all the engraving was far too wide, hence the small lettering was barely legible and the image was flawed (SA trades)

4) Finish, the finish was meant to be Silver, however it picked up all manner of muck and grime within seconds of touching it, it felt unfinished to me.

--

Of course, these may all be a one-off, but just by comparing a Prime SA slide to the SD Springfield slides I bought, I could see the huge leap in quality, fit, and finish, between the two.

To be fair, you were using SD slides on a Prime frame that was designed for a Prime slide. I have put an R-type SD slide on an R-type Prime frame and I had to file the frame rails as the slide/frame fit was too tight. I had to do a similar amount of filing on an SCW Prime frame for an R-type SD slide.

It's swings and roundabouts really it seems.

To be fair, you were using SD slides on a Prime frame that was designed for a Prime slide.  I have put an R-type SD slide on an R-type Prime frame and I had to file the frame rails as the slide/frame fit was too tight.  I had to do a similar amount of filing on an SCW Prime frame for an R-type SD slide.

It's swings and roundabouts really it seems.

Except that I then installed them on the original V10 ABS frame, and they were still very loose.

+ that doesnt excuse the errors in trades/finish which I described, especially not when you've payed out 100 dollars each.

I don't know if yours was a one off, but my SD slides (5+ now) have all been drop in fits, but without enough slop to make me upset. The finish on some Prime stuff does look better, but the SD finish holds up well. I do think that some people prefer Prime, and some people prefer SD, and it has less to do with the quality of either.

Hey guys,

not wanting to hijack this thread, but I've just fitted an SD G17C slide to my KSC Glock 17 and have to say aesthetically it looks the business. The finish is excellent, the trades were spot on, with deep, correctly sized, accurate lettering and it did drop in with no problems.

That said, operationally, not so good. every time it's fired, after the first shot it seems to catch halfway through it's second and frequent subsequent cycles and seems to misfire almost like the gun is being 'double tapped'. I tried fitting an uprated spring I had for my USP compact, however it simply burst-fired. It does seem like it's catching as it slides back. Using 134a at the moment, not sure if using a more powerful gas would work.

Still being a being a bit of a newb, I don't want to start filing away or anything just now in case I get it wrong.

Any suggestions?

I received my SD slide and barrel yesterday, and fitted them into the USP .45 this morning. It works perfectly. Fitting everything was SO much easier than any other kit i've used, I don't have a single complaint.

To the above, though, I would suggest trying a more powerful gas (I'm using ICS Power Gas) as the slide is certainly a lot heavier than a plastic one, it will need more power to cycle it. I found my slide stuck a tiny bit when I first fitted it, but after lubing it, and running it for a little while, it eased up :)

Archived