TM Desert Eagle

Slash'

I really am desperately close to buying a chrome desert eagle.

I have tried to find out but I need a definitive answer - can I safely use green gas with this pistol?

I can get green gas far more economically than 134a but if it unsafe, I will pay the extra.

So, can (or should) I use green gas in the desert eagle, or will it decrease life and reliablility significantly?

thanks,

- Gareth.

Many thanks for the repsonse.

I am a complete newb to gas guns (I have only ever fired one once) so, please don't anyone get annoyed at the question.

What parts does the use of a higher pressure gas put extra strain on? Is it just the slide?

thanks,

- Gareth.

It puts strain on all the seals, too, and the greater impacts will probably increase wear on the nozzle.

That said (and despite how the Desert Eagle feels that it will explode on every shot) I've never heard of one breaking on green.

If you look inside the slide, you'll find it's pretty much a metal skeleton clad in plastic, so no plastic takes the strain.

Cheers

green gas is green gas all over the world pretty much. to make you feel even safer, i used to have 2 highly upgraded DE's, with hi flow valves, tigthbores, uprated recoil and hammer springs etc, and ran them on pure propane with not a single problem.

green gas is propane, but with some nice lubricant in it.

Alright... So now I've found Abbey Ultra Gas which I've heard is a 134a/Green compromise. Would that be the best bet for the DE?

The only thing that annoys me is 600ml of that for just £4 less that 2000ml of Green gas... but again, if it's safer, I wouldn't mind paying extra.

Should I also buy 134a maintainance gas? Just to ensure the life of my DE.

I used the TM DE on ICS green for a year with no problems.

However, it does kick like a monster and is VERY loud. If you cant handle it, switch down to predator, which I use on my TM 1911's to enable better second shots.

Alright... So now I've found Abbey Ultra Gas which I've heard is a 134a/Green compromise. Would that be the best bet for the DE?

The only thing that annoys me is 600ml of that for just £4 less that 2000ml of Green gas... but again, if it's safer, I wouldn't mind paying extra.

Should I also buy 134a maintainance gas? Just to ensure the life of my DE.

lol was it worth us replying to this thread?

Right many thanks to all those who replied - if the rep system was still available then you'd all be getting +1s.

I truly apologise if I sounded at all ungrateful, rude or impatient at any time, it was truly not my intention. I'm only just starting to get into gas guns and I was simply throwing out questions in the best way I knew how. Don't feel that your reply was wasted as each one has given me useful information.

Many thanks,

- Gareth.

Just as a side note, my TM Hi Capa(when it had the stock slide) would get significant wear to the slide notch from the metal on plastic connections. Eventually, my notch wore out on the slide and it no longer locked back after the final round from the magazine, but would lock if done manually. Im not sure if the DE will have this same issue(from Snowman's post of a metal internal body, it seems unlikely) but it is something to watch for.

The gun itself, however(system wise) has had absolutely no problem performing with propane, in fact by the difference seen between 134a and GG, it seems as though that is what Marui intended it to be run on.

My 5.1's would (after many, many magazines fired) get worn slide notches too - not worn down, just cosmetically worn.

My current 4.3 though, still has an almost mint-looking slide notch, despite heavy use with propane. It was the same with my P226's.

The same seemed to go for the DE plastic slide.

That's what I thought too... But my DE was ran exclusively on propane before it got to me, and the slide catch was worn down to hell... Wouldn't catch, had to hold it up to have the slide back. Also, my Infinity 5" I run on propane (slide buffer instead of flow restrictor) is showing signs of wear on the slide catch.

But to the contrary, my plastic KJW M9 has been running propane/green for many many years, and the cracked/broken parts were only the outer barrel and back of slide.

But I'm still running those stock plastic parts, with zero wear on the slide catch... So maybe something else is at play?... Or M9's just don't get slide catch wear?...

all 1911/2011s are prone to wear on the slide catch, even with a metal kit, so that's that.

However using a 1911 on green will speed up the process of wear (the slide hits the slidestop harder than with 134a)..

--

Where the DE is concerned, dunno, it's not a common problem otherwise you'd hear it all over the place, I don't know of any guns that are prone to wear in the slide catch other than the 1911 series, and thats only because the design is intended for steel on steel, not pot metal on plastic, pot metal on alu, or steel on alu.

Dude, how would propane affect that? You can run your gun on Doc Newstead's fart gas and you're still going to have a metal catch rubbing against a plastic notch.

:zorro:

You and your common sense - someday you must realise that airsoft guns do not follow the rules of logic. They can only be understood through some obscure asian sub-variant of the Chaos Theory.

i know a lot of people say abbey ultra is midway between the 2 but in all honesty it's b****cks. you get about 10fps less than propane, but it seems to have more lube than normal green.

im running my HFC (identical to TM, ive even got a TM slide on it) on ultra simply because its what ive got at the moment. i'd probably save a bit of money in the future and buy regular green.

Archived