Boyi BI-5281 (SPR)

Yay cookie! Also I do think you're right and there is a blanking plate over the screw on the mag release. I'm planning on dropping in a CA gearbox into it so I will have to confirm it by then.

Or replace it with a nice ambi-mag catch.

The latter sounds best.

Its not a blanking plate...its the end of the lever-side of the release that fill the hole where the screw should do. Ill try and take pics to demonstrate.

Edit:

Sorry for the ABYSMAL images (darent use the Fuji without permission).

Watch the white dot of liquid paper Ive put in the centre of the mag release button.

Button on...

Guns017.jpg

Button off...

Guns018.jpg

Edited by GuzziHero
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played using the SPR today. Hop-off chrono results: 355, 339, 340, 335, 339.

Althought the hope adjuster felt VERY slack, there was no hop creep off at all. The gun was impressively accurate, at least equal to my CA M15a1, at about 100-120ft range. Good enough to DM with in CQB, certainly.

Apart from the motor and those initial problems, its very good so far :)

Barrel wobble went when I tightened the barrel nut, yes. Although, it keeps wobbling loose again...I need to threadlock it.

The advantage is though, unlike non RIS runs, youre not holding the barrel...you hold the RIS. So the barrel, even if its loose, is always in the same place so any inaccuracy is minimised :)

Ill be putting it all on a CA body soon anyhoo.

I used a CA motor, but with the power of the spring, I think Id recommend a torque-up.

Crane stock wont go on unless you file the receiver to stock tube down, and if you plan to use a battery crane stock you need to file to to a stub for the wiring. I can find out later from a crane stock body just how short it needs to be, if you like.

Ok so picked up the SPR last night, after paying Parcel FARCE £20! now just stripping it down and finding out where the wobbles are! not crono'd it yet but its very accurate.

hate the pistol grip, that needs to go also a metal body needs to go on. maybe a G&P ZK...... will see. would like to here what anyone else has done to customize theres.

Regards

R

• 2 weeks later...

UPDAAAAAAAAATE!

Second skirmish with it today.

Solved the barrel wobble once and for all - fitted a CA M15a4 CQB body, and added a DBoys crane stock and component-shop.co.uk 2-line battery (£13.50...WELL worth it). The crane stock needed a tiny mod to make it able to take batteries but its no real effort. The gun is solid as a rock. The DBoys stock isnt up to CA standards, but it does the job just dandy.

So took it gaming. Stopped feeding in the morning so I swapped to my M15a1.

Just took it apart. The hop has a coiled wire in place of the usual brass collar - no problem there. The hop rubber is horrid. And its torn, as Id expected.

Took the rubber out and out falls a horrid, misshapen lump of rubber - the nub. Its not a tube, its solid rubber. And it is FAR from round. I dont, sadly, have a camera that can really show how awful it is.

Ah well, one G&P rubber and nub later and its sorted. But that wasnt 100% easy either because the aperture in the hop unit where the nub sits is narrower than most others, hence I had to cut the nub down a little to fit. Id hoped to put a H-Hop nub in, but no chance of that.

So basically with the SPR, Ive paid for a substandard RIS unit, a reasonable barrel, a PRI front flip up sight and a reasonable gearbox. Not a very good deal all in all.

• 1 month later...

Well what can I say. Except dont buy this piece of tripe.

Trying to get the barrel aligned with my 3-screw idea, the superglue holding the RIS together broke again. Got it balanced...sort of...but the silver rod at the top procludes making a true balance by using a 4th screw.

Even time you touch the paint on the RIS/outer barrel, some more flakes off revealing VERY cheap quality shiny metal.

I think Ill be putting a proper quality front end on this ASAP.

So so far Ive had to replace:

Motor

Stock

Receiver

And now I face replacing the foreend to make this even decent. Leaving only the gearbox, inner barrel and outer barrel stock.

Not a good purchase.

My Yie Arr Kung-Fu Bolt-Filing is invincible! After a lot of time and effort I have the barrel lined up etc all nice. The way I have sorted the front RIS/Barrel wobble is like a modern art masterpiece:

Ris held onto barrel nut with superglue.

Barrel stopped from turning left-right by shoving a piece of a Bisodol cardboard box in where the barrel grub screw fits sloppily into the receiver (this isnt the CA Body's fault...it was worse with the DBoys one).

Ris held at barrel end with 3 bolt/nut system.

And if any one part fails, the entire thing will probably come apart like a clown car.

Thats better...the scope is in a wierd place because its the only way to get the correct eye relief :(

Image001.jpg

The bolts shouldnt be seen once I paint them black.

Image002.jpg

I purchased the Mod.0 version of this AEG and my initial impressions are far better than Guzzi’s. For starters, no full RIS so no alignment issues, there is also no wobble on what amounts to the heat-shield either.

Turn over is slow still so I’m assuming it still needs a high-torque motor. I’ve not field tested it yet but I’m hoping the hop was changed for this model over the Mod.1 reviewed here.

Overall, my Mod.0 seems to be a better general build quality but with the motor still slow and, me also suffering from paint flecking off…its not improved THAT much.

The original motors are utter pants, mate. Get on the classified/wanted and get a quality (systema/CA/TM/ICS/GP) one 2nd hand. Itll transform the gun.

Wish Id waited for the Mod.0 personally. Not just because I now know that the build is better, but because I think it looks better.

I just carried away with that Blackwater in Fallujah video hype ;)

I just carried away with that Blackwater in Fallujah video hype ;)

:D Know what you mean! I was about two clicks away from ordering the Mod.1 myself but I managed to restrain myself with the promise of no RIS misalignment...which I already knew the Dboyi M4's suffered from.

I just thought "Bigger RIS, bigger problem". :(

Happy with it at the moment but with new motors so cheap and easy to fit, its not worth NOT getting one!

All good info by the way Guzzi

Guzzihero, can you post better instructions how the remove the mag catch? I tried to take mine off to no avail. Oh, and The Mod.0 is pretty much problem free :) And it would be lovely if someone could give me a link to ambi-magcatch, I haven't heard of these before.

Edited by Tuulos

Nice review :) I read it two days ago before my SPR turned up, and I must say it made me worry a little LOL

But I needn't have. Quality was excellent and I'm really happy with it. ROF isn't massive, but power, accuracy and range are all very impressive :) Thanks again to RSOV for getting this and an EBR to me so quick :D