do silencers work?

keevin

Only in the same way as having a dictionary in the room improves your spelling. <_<

What sort of gun is it?

If it's an GBB pistol the answer's "No, not really."

If it's an AEG the answer's "No, you still get a bunch of mechanical noise but the muzzle crack is a bit quieter."

If it's an NBB pistol the answer's "Hell, yeah."

• 4 weeks later...

There are lots of old threads, and some not so old, about silencers, so try some searches, but the general rule of thumb has been covered by Stealth.

I'll just add that there is at least one AEG that really 'suits' a silencer (as far as effectiveness goes) and that's the MP7. It's a fairly quiet little tool anyway but with a silencer fitted (at least the one I made for mine anyway) it's almost totally silent.

As we're in the sniping heaven section, I'll assume you're looking to fit a silencer to a sniper rifle?

A properly designed one will make a difference, not so much to the guy firing it but more importantly to the person you're shooting at.

You could also try some sort of silent piston head mod (air brake?), again, do some searching, they are more common with AEGs but could be adapted/altered to suit a springer.

Hi, new member here. Just have a quick question.

I've heard that silencers affect accuracy because they disturb the airflow about the bb. I don;t know if this is a rumor or fact.

Also, if you want to quiet down a sniper rifle, you could fill a hollow stock with something that absorbs sound. I've heard of Old t shirts, Tempurpedic(sp), and even low expansion isolating foam. I think there's a review on another forum...

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/index...1&topic=28850.0

i dont see how filling the stock with something like that (id suggest dynamat btw) would work, as the sound you worried about is the sound going forward an sideways into your enemies. instead you should sourround the cylinder with some insulating material or dynamat, as i know that works in AEGs.

also a silencer at the end, while it may not lower the actual decibal output dramatically, will change the sound into a softer kind of sound and not what your targets will be expecting, and therefore it does help in battlefield conditions. my evidence for this comes from my friends AUG phantom kit, which works like i just described.

i dont see how filling the stock with something like that (id suggest dynamat btw) would work, as the sound you worried about is the sound going forward an sideways into your enemies. instead you should sourround the cylinder with some insulating material or dynamat, as i know that works in AEGs.

also a silencer at the end, while it may not lower the actual decibal output dramatically, will change the sound into a softer kind of sound and not what your targets will be expecting, and therefore it does help in battlefield conditions. my evidence for this comes from my friends AUG phantom kit, which works like i just described.

Silencers work really only on real guns. On AEGs the sound is from the motor/gearbox, to silence that fill empty spaces in your body with foam (from what i've heard).

From what i understand the way silencers work is as the bullet is going threw the barrel the raw sound traveling behind it is trapped behind the bullet. A silencer has little holes on the inside of its barrel which will lead to a sound dampening material (like foam) so usually before the bullet leaves the end of the gun the sound has escaped threw the holes inside the silencer and have been dispersed. now the sound of the bolt is still present though. although there are other factors such as subsonic ammunition so there isn't the sonic boom. (the bang from a gun)

You don't really need to silence the UTG L96. It is very freakin quiet. One of the quietest guns I've shot. If I hide in a bush and shoot at guys 30 feet from me and I'm hidden good, they never see where the shot came from. It's amazing and I was amazed when I saw people don't hear it.

As for the gearbox sound from AEGs - if it's well shimmed and has a good motor, the gearbox noise won't carry very far. The muzzle crack, however, will carry further, and this is where a silencer comes into play.

If anything, it'll make it much harder for your enemies to triangulate your position.

I'm not sure about triangulate, but to locate, yes, it makes it more difficult. ;)

Humans have two ears. These are used to triangulate the postion or direction of a sound. Hence, in this context, triangulation = location.

What the silencer does is make the muzzle crack less 'cracky', lowering it's pitch and volume and thus making it not only harder to hear but more likely to diffuse, which makes your gun harder to locate.

Humans have two ears. These are used to triangulate the postion or direction of a sound. Hence, in this context, triangulation = location.

What the silencer does is make the muzzle crack less 'cracky', lowering it's pitch and volume and thus making it not only harder to hear but more likely to diffuse, which makes your gun harder to locate.

fix:

get a silencer, drill a bunch of very small holes on the inner barrel part (if there isnt already) and put foam in the the hollow part.

*edit* spellings

Finished my L96 silencer yesterday...

L96a.jpg

L96a1.jpg

Alloy tube, machined the front cap from alloy bar (love my lathe :P ) and lined the rear with a piece of plastic tubing so it's a really snug fit over the barrel.

It's filled with soft foam discs that I cut with my home-made foam cutter, just a piece of alloy tube (from the same piece the silencer's made from) with one end sharpened, just twist into the foam, then punch an 8mm hole through each piece.

It's quite effective, on par with a G-Spec for sound.

Just needs a nice camo paint job now...

I might just make some kind of removable cloth camo thing for it.

I was toying with the idea of painting it for woodland, and making an urban camo (cloth) cover, I do both urban and woodland games.

Just got to silence the bolt now, cocking it makes more noise than firing it now :blink::P

Get one of THESE.

I shall be making one as soon as the missus looks away long enough for me to nick a couple of her stainless steel pots.

All you need is about 4ft of jute netting (100m roll from Jewsons for about £5) and a roll of jute twine (£4 from B&Q) then dye it.

There's a guide to making ghillies on here and the same principle applies.

I certainly wouldn't suggest spending 30 quid on one.

Archived