Camo Question

onidemonXLR

Well, this is a natural history question as much as it as gear one :)

Germany has famous pine forests, so flecktarn should be a fine choice. But then so does the UK, so you could argue DPM would work just as well. Or US Woodland. Or Swedish (M90) even :)

In truth, any temperate camo will do the job, but other than that I should say it's just a matter of preference.

As an aside, don't be taken in by these arguments about one camo being better than the other. It's really dependent on the environment. These new camouflages like Multicam or MARPAT are the new kids on the block, so everyone is buzzing around them. But after all the hype, when you're wet, muddy and covered in cr*p, it's just camo. Pick the one you like the look of/your country wears/the first one you find, and enjoy! :)

Well, this is a natural history question as much as it as gear one :)

Germany has famous pine forests, so flecktarn should be a fine choice. But then so does the UK, so you could argue DPM would work just as well. Or US Woodland. Or Swedish (M90) even :)

Curious thing is. Why do armies design camo with their own counties in mind when most conflicts are overseas...

I don't know, and I don't think it's on-topic. But defence of the realm is fairly high on most armed force's priorities I'd say ;) And the British Army has tropical and desert DPM, as well as arctic coveralls, so it's not like we're that narrow-minded :)

..and let's not forget Dutch DPM, which looks remarkably similar to the Brit sort ;)

Camo is designed to work where a force is likely to be deployed, or may have to be deployed. That included Cold War Britain.

Getting back to the original point... ;)

What do the pine forests where you're going to play look like? Is it dry, mountain pine? Is it mixed low-land forest? Is it dense with foliage, or sparse? Is it wet, temperate pine forest?

Unlike most armies, you have an opportunity to really shop around and match your camo to your terrain.

Flecktarn is very good for densely forested terrain.

CADPAT is excellent for thick pine/fir forests.

MARPAT is excellent for drier pine forests.

DANCAM is excellent for green woodland.

etc. etc.

Ive heard flecktarn is really good all around, but what is the best type of camo for mainly pinetrees, brown pineneedles and decidious bush?

I consider modern flecktarn pretty effective myself, and it can be used in other environments as well. That said, look into a Russian "partizan" sniper suit. Its based on a WWII German fleck camo patten, and is reversible : One side is predominantly brown and should work well in areas with little or no undegrowth, while you can always reverse the suit when playing in greener areas. Look on page two of the camo thread, JTK has posted some good shots of it there.

Flecktarn works beautifully in the pine forests and cedar swamps of Northern Michigan...

I know of at least 4 different types of pine forest in my area alone, red pine, white pine, jack pine, combinations of the three main types of pine, different grasses and undergrowth, mixes of deciduous and pine trees, etc...

More info would be helpful (and Flecktarn works very well in all the areas I've listed by the way ;) )

Actually all NATO uniforms are great in pineland... since all of our uniforms came from the Cold War era where we expected to fight in the forest of Europe against the Soviet Powerhouse! muh hahaha!

AND ALSO because of the that, nearly all of our uniforms are obsolete for modern combat... considering how everybody fights everywhere now... (except flecktarn... cause that was made post cold war era... sorta based off of the old WWII uniforms though... so maybe it's not...)

DMP was based after the English experience in the Jungles of SE Asia... those Gurka guys and what not... the Tiger strip is based from the old French pattern when they fought in Vietnam... yes they were first... So that leaves mainland European Uniforms mostly in the North... The Norwegian got some good ones... so do the Swed... DMP is great too even with it's tropical past... as they mentioned there are two color variations. And Flecktarn is great too! There is also an old German Splinter camo in the Cold war days... the famous GSG-9 helmet... take a look at that.

Like catsfrommars just said, and as a follw-up to what I originally said, I think too much emphasis is placed on the basic camo pattern by some people. This being a gear section, the real worry should be about what you wear on top of your clothes!

Wearing the basic barracks dress is already a bad idea. S95 stuff is fine for everyday use, but it won't last long. I use the Royal Marines Arctic combat smock myself. It's made from Garbardine, so it's wind-proof, and it comes with a hood as well. I'm sure other armies have their own equivalents. It's light enough to wear in summer on it's own, but an ideal layer when worn with a fleece and thermals in winter. If you really want flecktarn/M90/MARPAT etc, think about whether you want a cheapo shirt from the market, or something a bit more useful. Maybe you'd prefer ripstop, or Goretex? I'm sure on a game all the peeps in camo think they're the bomb in their matching outfits, made from stinky cotton, but you'd be the one laughing if you had plain olive clothes that were breathable, waterproof, lightweight and reinforced :)

You might want a waterproof jacket, or one with more pockets than the issue one. Are the trousers you're going to buy thick enough? Light enough? Comfy enough? If you're in pine forests, will you be kneeling on needles a lot?

Consider all these things *before* you worry about a pattern.

Like catsfrommars just said, and as a follw-up to what I originally said, I think too much emphasis is placed on the basic camo pattern by some people. This being a gear section, the real worry should be about what you wear on top of your clothes!

Wearing the basic barracks dress is already a bad idea. S95 stuff is fine for everyday use, but it won't last long. I use the Royal Marines Arctic combat smock myself. It's made from Garbardine, so it's wind-proof, and it comes with a hood as well. I'm sure other armies have their own equivalents. It's light enough to wear in summer on it's own, but an ideal layer when worn with a fleece and thermals in winter. If you really want flecktarn/M90/MARPAT etc, think about whether you want a cheapo shirt from the market, or something a bit more useful. Maybe you'd prefer ripstop, or Goretex? I'm sure on a game all the peeps in camo think they're the bomb in their matching outfits, made from stinky cotton, but you'd be the one laughing if you had plain olive clothes that were breathable, waterproof, lightweight and reinforced :)

You might want a waterproof jacket, or one with more pockets than the issue one. Are the trousers you're going to buy thick enough? Light enough? Comfy enough? If you're in pine forests, will you be kneeling on needles a lot?

Consider all these things *before* you worry about a pattern.

You hit it on the head!

I can vouch for that! :D

Crawling in mud, snow, and wet vegetation is not fun...

Get gear that you're comfortable in!

Flecktarn I'd say is a great all-around Camo. The only places I wouldn't recommend itwould be in the desert or in the snow and amybe a few certain forest areas ;)

I recommend it, but I also suggest you take a look around a surplus store and decide what fits you and your area best.

Flecktarn I'd say is a great all-around Camo. The only places I wouldn't recommend itwould be in the desert or in the snow and amybe a few certain forest areas ;)

I recommend it, but I also suggest you take a look around a surplus store and decide what fits you and your area best.

Thats why you use desert flecktarn, or schnee(snow)tarn

• 2 weeks later...

Archived