FPS limits

Kye

I know the legal limit in the UK is stated 328 ft/s, and that this applies at gaming sites. Also I believe the maximum permissable velocity is 350 ft/s.

So what about out side of playing areas? Does the legal limit still apply? For instance, would it be ok to use a 400 ft/s weapon in your back garden or not? I would of thought so given that it's private land.

Obviously if you go from garden to game site, you tone the weapon down.

I know the legal limit in the UK is stated 328 ft/s, and that this applies at gaming sites. Also I believe the maximum permissable velocity is 350 ft/s.

So what about out side of playing areas? Does the legal limit still apply? For instance, would it be ok to use a 400 ft/s weapon in your back garden or not? I would of thought so given that it's private land.

A muzzle energy over 1ft/lbs is seen as a lethal level. This is approx 1.35J.

With a 0.2g bb, this generally equates to 381fps (depending on your rounding).

Any lethally barrelled weapon (ie over 1ft/lbs) that is able to fire more than one projectile per trigger action is prohibited under section 5 of the firearms act, even if you have disabled full auto.

Most sites to ensure their players are covered legally, they set their site limits well below 381fps to a level covered by their insurance.

328fps (1J) is a recommendation by the home office, not law. Even the 1ft/lbs is not law, as for a prosecution, it must be shown to the court that the weapon involved is actually lethal.

The legal limit before a gun becames "lethal" and therefore a firearm is 1lb/ft, about 1.35J, although there's been various guidance over the years that has led most sites to adopt a limit of 1J, or 328fps.

Guns of 1lb/ft and above, but under 6lb/ft for a pistol or 12lb/ft for a rifle are considered air weapons. You can legally own an air weapon in the UK if you're over the age of 18. Any weapon capable of automatic fire (ie most AEGs) over 1lb/ft are Section 5 firearms so I'd suggest you might not want to be even caught in possession of one without a relevant Firearms Certificate but springers, GBB or any rifle not designed or modifed for automatic fire are fine. There's nothing stopping you owning a "hot" airsoft gun if it doesnt exceed any of these limits.

You can discharge a gun on PRIVATE property on which you have permission as long as it is not within 50 feet of the centre of any highway.

So basically, if your garden is 50ft away from the centre of the nearest road or footpath you can shoot a 400fps single action or semi-automatic as long as no ammuntion leaves the boundary of your property, otherwise you'd be committing a firearms offence.

• 3 weeks later...

It definetily wouldn't matter because you can use whatever you want on your own land.

It definetily wouldn't matter because you can use whatever you want on your own land.

Is it legal to steal something on private land?

How about assualt someone?

See what I mean?

Any lethally barrelled weapon which can fire more than one round per trigger action is a breach of section 5 of the firearms act no matter what the status of the land is.

Lethality would have to be proven to a court, so while 1.35J is the firgure generally assumed, it could be much higher (think about tennis ball launchers for instance)

A single shot air weapon can be taken to 6ft/lbs for a pistol, or 12ft/lbs for a rifle before requireing a certificate (which you can't get for pistols)

See what I mean?

Any lethally barrelled weapon which can fire more than one round per trigger action is a breach of section 5 of the firearms act no matter what the status of the land is.

Lethality would have to be proven to a court, so while 1.35J is the firgure generally assumed, it could be much higher (think about tennis ball launchers for instance)

A single shot air weapon can be taken to 6ft/lbs for a pistol, or 12ft/lbs for a rifle before requireing a certificate (which you can't get for pistols)

you can get one for a pistol, though its a lot harder. black powder pistols in most instances fire over 6ft lbs.

..last I looked black powder weapons werent airpistols. You cant get a licence for a >6ft pound AIR pistol (non transferable brockocks on section 1 licences aside and those arent >6ft pound anyway) Hell even in the good old days when centrefire pistol licences were generally available airpistols over 6 foot pounds have never been permitted.

HOW have they worked this out? How can they consider a airsoft gun lethal at 1 foot pound? Yet you can get lethal airguns seemingly alot easier than airsoft weapons. What made them decide on 1 foot pound when you can get 12 foot pound rifles?

Me thinks i'm going to have to read the VCR bill in detail when I am able to.

HOW have they worked this out? How can they consider a airsoft gun lethal at 1 foot pound? Yet you can get lethal airguns seemingly alot easier than airsoft weapons. What made them decide on 1 foot pound when you can get 12 foot pound rifles?

Because airsoft guns are restricted due to their look, not their performance.

"Lethal" air weapons must be sold by a RFD, 2tone airsoft guns can be sold by anyone.

everything over 1 foot pound is a 'lethal' airweapon 2 3 4 5 right thru to 12 foot pound airweapons The difference is you cant buy any airweapon over 1 foot pound thats fully automatic.

If you found yourself an 'airsoft' gun at 1.5 foot pounds then its a 'lethal' airweapon = thus its a firearm and = thus its NOT a realistic imitation

You could then buy it face to face from any registered firearms dealer who sold airweapons who was willing to stock it provided it was semi auto or single shot only

One thing to bear in mind is that velocity can vary from police force to police force, we are an RFD but the limits for use to sell air weapons will be different to another police force as the is no national standard to go on.

Our restictions on selling RIF's within thames valley is different to say hampshire police.

Im awaiting clearance for our requirments from the FSS, will post them when received

The Firearms Act makes useful reading as does the Crown Prosecution Office details on firearms. Both these and the VCRA make tedious but interesting reading.

One thing to bear in mind is that velocity can vary from police force to police force, we are an RFD but the limits for use to sell air weapons will be different to another police force as the is no national standard to go on.

Our restictions on selling RIF's within thames valley is different to say hampshire police.

Im awaiting clearance for our requirments from the FSS, will post them when received

I appreciate the RFD status for airguns differs from that for other weapon types but I wasnt aware individual forces could impose power limits on the airgun RFDs they approve other than the national off ticket limits. The 6 and 12 foot pound limits are the national 'off-ticket' limits.

The only things I know for sure that have been non standard are what the various forces consider appropriate means of testing wether a gun is over 12 foot pounds and into FAC territory eg In some forces the rifle must return chrono results of under 12 foot pounds based on the ammo seized with it, based on the highest resulting test from a variety of ammo seized with it or based on a choosen weight and type of ammo standardised on by that force for doing those tests (regardless of wether any of that ammo was seized or being used along with the gun). Sometimes that can leave some poor sod half a foot pound over by one forces evaluation versus quarter of a foot pound under by anothers.

Was just reading that in Northern Ireland, 328fps is the legal limit for any Airsoft gun (including single shot). Anything more powerful than this requires a firearms license, however as Airsoft guns don't have serial numbers, they're not eligible for licensing. I'm moving over in a few months so I thought I should check it out. Looks like sites over there don't allow any percentage of error above 328fps due to the legislation so I might have to downgrade, doh!

Interestingly, as NI has different firearms legislation from the rest of the UK, real handguns are still legal to own.

just wndering, the over 1ft lb lethal limit, wasnt this proved in court many years ago with an air rifle that fires lead pellets. would it change anything using plastic bbs instead. i know the power is still the same but, i for one would rather get hit with a plastic ball than a pointed metal pellet!

The firearms act says that the lethality has to be proven in court.

They'd have to show that the airsoft gun in question is lethal rather than just show it's got a muzzle energy over 1.35J

Now, your local police firearms policy may state a specific energy level.

For instance, I believe Dorset police have taken the HO recomendation on board and set their limit at 1J.

So if you have a gun that does more, the police in Dorset will take a dimmer view than the police in other areas would.

Some areas the police may decide 450fps is the limit that they consider it to be dangerous enough to take action.

just wndering, the over 1ft lb lethal limit, wasnt this proved in court many years ago with an air rifle that fires lead pellets. would it change anything using plastic bbs instead. i know the power is still the same but, i for one would rather get hit with a plastic ball than a pointed metal pellet!

1ftlb with a flat head .22 air rifle wouldn't be any worse then a 6mm bb. I guess a .177 superdome would have higher penatration but you have to remember that a wasp pellet slows down more then ball of the same size and mass (the drag on the tail keeps a flatter path then it would otherwise)

oddly airguns are still ok for internet sales if they are second hand as the laws stated by way of trade (or something to that effect)

Sorry to jump in but I have a few questons...

My gun might slightly over the limit then I think (using the poor man's chrono, mine can go through the bottom and almost through the top (with 1 bullet) (I can't afford a proper chrono and using paper + 2 mics I can't get a good enough reading) and it is capable of full auto, although I use semi whenever I can (army R85, so when it won't fire in semi I have to fire a burst in auto) :/

It should still be under 1ft/lb but until I get a proper chrono I just want to stay on the right side of the law...

I looked up how to get a firearms license but apparently all the registered guns needs a serial number and description...plus I think I need a locked cabinate of some sort made of steel bolted on the floor and wall?

So either I get a firearms license (50 quid I think) or I'll find a 1J spring and pop that in (will be cheaper but it'll mean I can't "plink" coca cola cans or targets at long range)...

Has anyone here got any experiences with firearm licenses?

I need a good reason for having a "firearm" so will target shooting in back garden counts? (Garden is just over 16m long, I shoot at coke cans using my shed and bin as a backstop - my little firing range is 10m long).

So far none of my neighbours have a problem with me plinking and the neighbour opposite my house hasn't complained about bullets going out of my premises (Infact I might be better off asking my neighbour.. since he's a detective for Maidstone police (or something like that).

I'm in Maidstone, Kent if that helps...my nearest police station is a good 30 min drive away from me and I cannot drive....I don't want to phone them up...(last time I was in the police station was when I was assaulted and I had to wait for over 3 hours before the clerk told me to go away and he'll send an officer round my house to take a statement...)

Just thought everyone here will have some ideas :/.

Or should I keep it my little secret and hope no-one will find out?

you are not going to get a firearms licence for a fully automatic anything far less a clockwork rammer that is perfectly downgradeable ot a legal limit for the cost of a 10 quid spring.

To be perfectly honest the main reasons for ensuring that your airsoft gun is under 1 foot pound are:

To skirmish with it (best 1 joule or thereabouts rather than 1 foot pound as most sites wont allow for 383FPS with .20s)

To avoid a technical breech of section 5

to avoid antis getting their tits in a twist and having somethign else to whinge about

Ultimately? for your own peace of mind. Chances of getting hauled in for a >1ft pound airsoft gun? pretty much nil (though it can come to police attention for reasons other than you commiting an offence, so dont rely on being sensible to guarantee zero interest in what you own). Chances of most forces prosecuting you for it even if it is? even slimmer. And chances of beign convicted on basis of it would still rely on going to court. But those are all scant consolation for 6 months of sleepless nights waiting to see what the result of ballistics tests are etc just to find out for sure.

get it chronod and re-spring it if neccessary

Don't you need to get permission from the secretary of state to own a section 5 firearm? perhaps write a letter and see what happens. Il bet that no one has ever tried before.

Contact your local constabulary's head firearms officer and ask their policy on what they consider to be a lethal level for airsoft.

Some may say 500fps, others will say 328fps.

See what I mean?

Sorry I forgot you guys are all English :flamed: because in AMERICA it's o.k.

Sorry I forgot you guys are all English :flamed: because in AMERICA it's o.k.

then when the OPs little flag at side of his post turns into an american one instead of a union jack feel free to give him advice on the american situation :) Its not going to be a lot of comfort to him while hes getting to know big bubba a little more than hed like to in a UK jail :D

To coin a phrase...

This is rumour control. Here are the facts:-

On your own land, in the UK, you can do the following:-

Target shoot with any full-auto or self-loading gun of up to 1 ft/lbs muzzle energy,

Target shoot with any pistol up to 6ft/lbs muzzle energy.

Target shoot with any manual cocking or double-action rifle up to 12 ft/lbs.

Shoot at another individual with a "non lethal" weapon, the specifics of which have never been defined in law.

There is no other information pertinent to this question. Case closed.

Archived