The Strongest V2 Gearbox?

Ross-Da-Boss

Unless you are handy with a dremel DO NOT work on this yourself,the billet box requires more than just shimming, An entire pdf file is dedicated in showing the proper steps. The ar latch , trigger, semi-auto cut off ,and also the cylinder head pins must ALL be shaved down for proper fitment, there is no way around this it is REQUIRED. Once thats all done your good to go. Figured I mention before you go ahead and waste your money lol. Its well worth the work to NEVER worry about your v2 box again. TRUUHST ME.

Are you talking about the prowin(blue anodised) or the MT Haynes 6mm Milspec box?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well I am very familiar with Monsieur Dremel, Had to fit several CA metal bodies so a bit of machining won't be a problem.

Hopefully I wont have to take too much off the box, hate to ruin it even though I dont really know what it looks like.

Searched for some pics and the box is due next week.....anybody got some more pictures?

So Is that your Haynes box in the pic? If it is how do you find it and what gun does it live in? Hoping to put mine in a G3SG1/MSG90.

Do you still have the pdf of all the machining that is needed for say the anti reversal latch etc?

Cheers buddy,

R :D ss

KWA's new gearboxes have 9 and 8 mm bearing bushings. They havent released them except for their G36 and M4 guns, but are supposed to be releasing a drop-in

I think there was an Anaconda brand gearbox with 8mm all around.

You shouldnt have to worry about 8mm in you are in the UK, 7mm bearings are fine for regular applications, i have some in my HK51 that shoots 350fps, so 328 shouldnt be a problem.

King Arms makes a 7mm AK box

And just about everyone makes a 7mm v2 box

people one question, why should be a aluminium box like prowin or 6milspec be stronger then steel? i have not the complete knowledge about alloys but i think aluminium is lighter and thus more popular...steel is more flexible before breaking...i dont know my common sense would tell me a steel box is stronger...

btw, why is the htmyes 6milspec box no more availible???

anyone knows that box: KWA for m4a1? is it better then prowin 8mm new version?

please anybody tell me why the stronger mechboxes are aluminium...is strange to me...

for them beeing more expensive they are lightweight then a block of steel...

lets keep the question of this topic up...which is the strongest version 2 gearbox

First off standard mechboxes are made out of a zinc metal alloy. That in of itself says it is not steel. Therefore your logic cannot be applied.

Secondly standard mechboxes are casted. Casted items are very porous and tends to be of a lesser grade material then a solid block CNC/Milled. Both the pro-win and the haynes are CNC'd out of aircraft grade aluminum. Aircraft grade aluminum in of itself is much stronger then mixed/impure metal alloy.

Thirdly steel is less flexible then Aluminum. It has a high tensile strength but in order to achieve such strength mass must be increased. Aluminum has a better strength to weight ratio then steel. Other "exotic" metals also provide better ratio then steel such as Titanium. However, the actual benefit of cannot be seen in small items such as screws, nuts and bolts for which hardened steel still wins out.

Fourth the KWA has a proprietary mechbox that can only be used with their AEG. As for how well it can hold up is uncertain due to how young the product has been on the market. Not in the hands of enough people nor long enough to get a real sense of how strong it is.

people one question, why should be a aluminium box like prowin or 6milspec be stronger then steel? i have not the complete knowledge about alloys but i think aluminium is lighter and thus more popular...steel is more flexible before breaking...i dont know my common sense would tell me a steel box is stronger...

btw, why is the htmyes 6milspec box no more availible???

anyone knows that box: KWA for m4a1? is it better then prowin 8mm new version?

please anybody tell me why the stronger mechboxes are aluminium...is strange to me...

for them beeing more expensive they are lightweight then a block of steel...

lets keep the question of this topic up...which is the strongest version 2 gearbox

There's no need to. As Freq88 pointed out towards the differences in the materials, the tests performed on the boxes by various sources prove what we've told everyone. The strongest will be a CNC style box. The Haynes has incredible data to back it up so there's no need to beat a dead horse.

As MTHaynes has told in many ways...the box is no longer available because it wasn't cost effective for him. He has generously offered to sell the rights to build them I believe or would run off another batch if he could get at least 70 committed purchases. As most know, milling and CNC'd material is never cheap. It takes time, skill and special people to run those machines. Experience helps too! So...with numerous reported failures with steel gearboxes and the aluminum CNC'd boxes walking away with far less...which one do you honestly think is stronger. Once again with the research data on the Haynes, would you seriously doubt how strong it is?

On the other gearbox bushing question: Even though it's not a V2, I believe the new KWA G36's have 10mm bushings. Perhaps that's a sign of things to come?

The old black Classic Army v2 box was nearly indestructible. If you can find one somewhere, that would be the bedst.

Next best must IMO be the Systema 7mm boxes :)

Good god, this isn't opinion hour. This thread has ESTABLISHED that the Haynes or a CNC gearbox will be the strongest. There is data to back this up.

You cannot buy a new Haynes box unless you get the required amount of orders and MTHaynes will resume production or you can buy one 2nd hand. It's not hard to find 2nd hand and in many cases they've never been used.

I have not owned the Pro-win. There are arguments on both sides of the fence with them however. So to unequivacally state it's the best is far from accurate. I'd advise the search button be used as it still works and there are a few threads on everything we've talked about.

In the effort to remain a thread killah, I think we've answered the question of "strongest V2 gearbox."

The PGC/Pro-Win isn't for the faint of heart. It is strong but it maybe more of a headache then it's worth.

Has anyone managed to mod one of these to fit a G3(modded the hopup etc)? Looks impossible. Maybe prowin could come out with a new tophalf for other guns. Is the hopup inlet distance very different to the m4?

the only cnc's gearboxes i know is the prowin and the 6milspec ... so if 6milspec is no longer availible (that includes support) i would say the prowin is the best...but well thats just a opinion...since i am a newbie i am no expert...

but one thing i seen is that the prowin is availible as 7mm and 8mm...which is better and why?...as i said i am a newbie...

the only cnc's gearboxes i know is the prowin and the 6milspec ... so if 6milspec is no longer availible (that includes support) i would say the prowin is the best...but well thats just a opinion...since i am a newbie i am no expert...

but one thing i seen is that the prowin is availible as 7mm and 8mm...which is better and why?...as i said i am a newbie...

8mm bearings will be able to take more punishment than the 7mm. If your running a high fps setup then yes 8mm is better than 7mm.

Archived