Odd camo issue, need suggestions

Endospore

So I've got a tan SCAR-L and I absolutely love it, so I'm going to be using it as my primary during woodland games (probably CQB too, but I might take CQB matches as a work out time for my VFC AKS74U :) ). But I'm having a bit of an issue: Camo.

I was really considering moving to Multicam, but after a lot of thought, I'm really not sure I want to spend the money for a completely new loadout of the currently most expensive camo (would have been Multisham, but still, $50 for a set at a cheap price is a bit steep, plus the cost of the vest and everything. It's still an option if I can find out a few things, but it's a lower option now). Now, the thing is, I really don't have a loadout right now (unless you call a set of US Woodland BDU's, 2 black drop leg holsters, and a Flecktarn BDU jacket a loadout :P ), so I'm flexible. However, I'm having a really tough time deciding what goes with a tan SCAR.

Why not US Woodland? Well, because USW is made of darker colors, the tan on the SCAR becomes almost a becon in a wooded area. Now maybe I'm wrong, but this seems logical to me.

Why not desert of some kind? Desert in itself is a becon in my area :P EVERYTHING here is woodland. I only know of one "desert" around here and it's more of an industrial desert than anything, and it's also well over 2 hours away and no one plays there, so it's not an option.

So I'm down to the wire: Go with Multicam, or look for something else?

One little thing about Multicam that gets expensive is the tactical gear. Now that might be changing, but in my experience it's a bit expensive. But, if there's an alternative color that's cheaper, that'd be great. So what would work with Multicam? I'm figuring any kind of lighter brown, but what do you guys suggest?

Well, that about wraps it up, so let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Reference for a SCAR with operator wearing US Woodland would be here. Would get better resolution, but I'm at school now, so resources are limited.

I would only reccomend Multicam if you have a changing environment where you play, and you say everywhere is Woodland. Woodland like this, with khaki or tan gear, doesn't appear too out of place to me, and you could dust the gear some to help it blend (that would almost serve as a makeshift Multicam kinda thing).

If it were me, I'd probably have but some brown on the SCAR by now, too (and if you look closely, it appears the SCARs in the picture have been sprayed with brown diagonal stripes, most notably the guy in the back). It would be along the lines of making it look worn in, but I'd probably spray it as soon as I got it because I'm not crazy about the tan with it's size and shape (essentially a fairly large rectangle, though there is some black hardware). If you've had yours a while and it's seen good use, then it should be worn enough that I would think it should blend better even if you didn't spray it.

All that's just my opinion, I've not been able to test running Woodland with khaki or tan gear, much less a tan primary. Out of memory I can think of one person who has pics somewhere of Woodland with khaki gear, which is Lord_Sex. He posted them in the first SEAL thread some time ago, but should still be somwhere in his Photobucket if you'd like to look for them (I'd link you, but, again, at school).

EDIT:

Here is LS in a flight suit for a similar look, I'm actually look for the aforementioned loadout (managed to find it, surprisingly) though.

Wow, got more responses than I thought :P Ok, down to it...

AVELLIN: Hmm, that's definitely some good arguments towards USW with brown-hue gear (since there are so many hues to choose from lol). I suppose if I went ahead and bought the vest I want in the brown-hue in order to save on cost, I could always switch the BDU's to Multicam if I decided I hate USW with brown-hue, right?

kliskey: Don't show me those, my wallet is thin enough! :P Every time I look at Multicam I think "Holy crud, that's stinkin' awesome :D", but when I shop, I think "Holy crud, that's not cool :(" (I'm a very emotional person :P ).

evansy: Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about that in my main post. I found Propper and TruSpec Multicam at a great price ($50 for the set) from a reliable seller (LA Police Gear), so I was going to ask which brand is the better option. Longevity is the thing for me, as I don't plan to have to buy camo every few years unless it's just completely dead (my USW has held up quite well, considering I've had it since just before the 6th grade *currently getting ready to start my Senior year, so a good amount of time*, so I'd like something that'll hold up just as well, if not better). So what do you think? If I can get the BDU's themselves out of the way, it probably won't be too big of a deal considering I can just buy brown-hue gear and no one will notice, right? And if I do my little plan of buying tac gear first (which is what I need to do anyway so I can at least carry mags during the games for now) and testing the brown-hue with woodland, I'd be fine to buy MC later on. Hmmmm.....

ECRRR and MARS: Well, during the dead months in this area (September through maybe March or April), the tan SCAR will probably work wonders (I just got the SCAR in a trade a few weeks ago, so I haven't been able to test it yet. I had ankle surgery 2-3 weeks before that, so I've been out of playing commission since then. Should be able to play in about 2 weeks though). The dead leafs and stuff are all lighter browns and with the light coming through the trees (all the trees die, allowing light to come through very easily) the leafs are that much lighter. Besides all that, I'm absolutely petrified of painting anything other than the flash hider, and I haven't even done that yet :P (want to pick up a plastic orange one first for storage and transport, then only use the black one during games. Keeps it nice and safe :) ) And at any rate, I do actually like the color of the tan SCAR quite a bit (contrary to what it may have sounded like in my first post. I really do love the gun the way it is *could be a little different shade, but hey, it's fine*, I just need to match the camo to it). So if I can leave it alone, perfect.

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys! I'll definitely give all of this some thought :)

I'm a fan of Propper or Truspec Multicam and OD gear, and I think that could work well for you.

As of late, I've converted all my tac gear over to OD because I can use it with all the different camo patterns we tend to wear here (Tan Based vs. Green Based is how we differentiate teams for our large OPs).

OD works well with:

Multicam

DCU

ACU

Desert Marpat

Black

PCU / MCU

Contractor Gear (ie. Tan Cargoes and simple single color T-shirts, Sweat shirts or Polos)

Tiger Stripe

and if you add in a bit of Tan gear (my SERPA and my belt pad for example) it can really work well...

My $.02 :D

Edit: Oh BTW I'd try the Propper Multicam in their ACU cut... I've been really impressed with the quality I've seen from it thus far

Good luck

Hm, never thought about OD with Multicam. I'll have to go look through the MC picture thread again, see if I can find some pictures. I like OD tac gear, and it'd probably allow me to continue using my black drop leg holsters (one is for an M11, so there's no hope of getting a different color one). It would also definitely allow me to continue using USW should the need arise.

lol, the only thing harder than buying a first AEG is buying camo and gear to go with it :P

How about some propper or truspec multicam. It'll be cheaper than crye but is made from crye material then use either CB or OD plate carrier with multicam pouches to help keep the cost down?

Actually, the Propper and Tru-Spec multicam stuff isn't made from Crye material. It's the official camo pattern licensed from Crye and printed on their own cloth - that's why they're able to sell their uniforms at reasonable prices...

Ok, the Tru-Spec stuff has a label on it that says "Officially licensed by Crye". Now, if you can produce proof that the camo is printed on Tru-Spec material and not actual Crye material then I will believe you. However, until I see such proof I will continue in my belief that my Tru-Spec BDU's are actual Crye material and will attest to their quality as such.

Ok, the Tru-Spec stuff has a label on it that says "Officially licensed by Crye". Now, if you can produce proof that the camo is printed on Tru-Spec material and not actual Crye material then I will believe you. However, until I see such proof I will continue in my belief that my Tru-Spec BDU's are actual Crye material and will attest to their quality as such.

SpoonMan,

I used to think all "legit" Multicam products used Crye fabric, but I was corrected on this very forum.

Now, although not definitive, here is a quote from www.multicampattern.com (one of Crye's sites):

QCan I get MultiCam applied to my own fabric or surface?

AYes. We are happy to work with you to get whatever you want

“MultiCam’ed.” Obviously there will be minimum production

requirements for any development project.

So it's entirely plausible, if not probable that Tru Spec used the process above to get the Multicam pattern applied to their own fabric.

In addition, Tru-Spec produces a Multicam uniform in 60/40 Poly/Cotton twill, which Crye (according to their own website, does NOT list as a "Crye" fabric)...

I highly recommend the Propper MC. A Friend got his for 86 USD shipped from US Patriot Store.

http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductInfo....?productid=5408

Why Propper over TruSpec? I dont know I had both side by side and wasent too impressed with the Tru Spec stuff. Not to mention my run in with their MARPAT left a lot to be desired. I've now purchased my fourth set of Propper Cammies and have nothing but gleaming reviews of them. I dont know if its the TruSpec dyes or the fabric or what but my Woodland MARPAT is closer to ACU than it is to Woodland MARPAT in coloration.

I guess I've never seen both brand's MC after its been washed but I can only imagine that the Propper wont fade AS MUCH as the TruSpec will. All of my Propper uniforms (some several years old) look just as new as the day I bought them as far as coloration goes (and most importantly its my Woodland MARPAT :P)

Archived