Helmet Camera

tom lawson

Hey all, i assume this is the right place to post this in..

Anyways, ive been looking into getting a helmet camera, as i do a fair amount of helmet-wearing activities, and i think it'd be pretty cool..

The one ive been looking at can be found here: http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/prod_allterraincamera.htm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it, or any other, similarly priced (around £100) cameras..?

Ive seen footage from it, and watched and read reviews, but any hands on experience would be appreciated..

Thank you for your help,

Tom

I know quite a few guys who use these regularly at my local site. They actually seem like really decent bits of kit, pretty robust. If you've watched videos from them etc. when you'll already know, but DON'T expect amazing quality from them, even on the highest quality setting it's not exactly brilliant.

However if you are just looking for something to put videos on YouTube, then they are fine. Only problem I have heard from guys is that on the highest quality you don't get masses of storage space, even on the biggest SD card it will allow (can't remember if its 1 or 2 gigs). If you want high quality videos then probably better off spending alot more, but as a cheap camera you won't worry about bashing, etc. it seems to be a great bit of kit.

I know in my local ANIMAL shop they have some on there for £99 and i was speaking with the geeser behind the counter about them....... he was really good about it as he is a downhill moutain bike dude and reakons the good clear and very robust. I can't find them on the net but if you have a shope near by pop in a have look with the MK1 eyeball also came with a head strap system like a petzel head torch comes with :D

The ATC2000 is supposed to be great for the money. Plus its an all in one unit, requiring only fresh AA's and a fresh SD every so often. Unlike some complicated and expensive DV recorder + bulletcam setups.

I have two of them, ones even been hit from the side, still works like a charm. theres 4gb sd out now, extra long time to record.

I had the Tony Hawk one in Afghan and it was truly a waste of money (I bought my second hand because the first guy thought it was rubbish too). Picture quality is awful and the user interface was truly stupid. Additionally it kept recording over itself and recorded in quicktime format (why?). Best avoided.

I had the Tony Hawk one in Afghan and it was truly a waste of money (I bought my second hand because the first guy thought it was rubbish too). Picture quality is awful and the user interface was truly stupid. Additionally it kept recording over itself and recorded in quicktime format (why?). Best avoided.

ah ok, thanks for that..

Do you have any idea what other types of helmet camera were/are used out there?

I think i'll go with the ATC-2K though

I have the ATC-2K. My movies are all on my page at http://www.youtube.com/...BASHOCAM!

Pros: Very durable and waterproof. Mountable on head and gun. Cheap.

Cons: 1h per 2GB card. Lowish quality grain on film. Not wide angle enough. Batteries.

All in all I am now using a HD camcorder to do the outside combat shots and the ATC for action.

hope that helps,

Basho

Archived