Springer Sniper vs AEG's

audacity

day one of most sniper "classes" as you refer to them are running, swimming and martial arts/physical combat conditioning.

Majority of the airsoft "snipers" wouldn't get to day one... Or they would fail on day one, miserably. For the sake of the thread, I'll skip the pissing contest on the credentials/background.

And as far as consistency in airsoft? It's not good enough for someone to really fill the role of sniper in airsoft.

And what would be that role in airsoft?

Majority of the airsoft "snipers" wouldn't get to day one... Or they would fail on day one, miserably. For the sake of the thread, I'll skip the pissing contest on the credentials/background.

And what would be that role in airsoft?

The credentials background discussion isn't a pissing contest. I don't hold myself in a high enough regard for it to be. I just want to know what you're basing your incredibly broad statement on.

A sniper in airsoft can generally hit a target at about the same distance as an upgraded AEG, but just with a few less BBs in ideal wind conditions. That just doesn't make sniping worth much in my book. Until an airsoft sniper can consistently hit a man-sized target with one or two shots at a range beyond an upgraded AEG, what's the point?

Until an airsoft sniper can consistently hit a man-sized target with one or two shots at a range beyond an upgraded AEG, what's the point?

My 2 yen worth :-

Errr...how about the fundamentals of airsoft - "role playing and fun"? Don't tell me that the -sole- point of sniping only about range? I think it's a lot more than that!

Errr...how about the fundamentals of airsoft - "role playing and fun"? Don't tell me that the -sole- point of sniping only about range? I think it's a lot more than that!

Agreed.

Thiers also the fear factor of that shot from nowhere that can really get the oposing teams moral down, especailly when they are all taking cover and then another one gets shot.

Also its different for different countries, regarding power limits, Uk for example, 330/350 for AEG's usually and 500fps for Bolt action, even with a .36 im shooting at 380fps and i can shoot outside of AEG range. so in this country, we can consistantly hit a man sized target from outside of aeg range.

But as its been said its not all about range, most of my shots are 45-65m shots at the lesser end of the scale its a 99% chance of a hit, at the other end its bout 80% chance depending on conditions.

Couldn't agree more.

Let's face it airsoft is a broad pass time. There must be room for both those who want to use it as 'practice' & those who go for escapism. & anything else,,,,,,,,,,like, HAVING A BLAST WITH YOUR MATES!!!!

Greg.

I just want to know what you're basing your incredibly broad statement on.

Since when "most players would fail and they have no shooting skills" is incredibly broad?

I shot hundreds of different guns, from 1000yd rifle to combat handgun, shot alongside regular military/police to special units, I've had some training with CT/Swat teams, high-risk target security (nuclear installations) and police snipers. I carry CCW for 8 yrs, on and off the job... We have police and military guys in the team. I also know from my combined rs and airsoft experience that coming from the military means nothing in itself. We had less problems with pimple faced teenagers than active duty tough guys.

Since when "most players would fail and they have no shooting skills" is incredibly broad?

I shot hundreds of different guns, from 1000yd rifle to combat handgun, shot alongside regular military/police to special units, I've had some training with CT/Swat teams, high-risk target security (nuclear installations) and police snipers. I carry CCW for 8 yrs, on and off the job... We have police and military guys in the team. I also know from my combined rs and airsoft experience that coming from the military means nothing in itself. We had less problems with pimple faced teenagers than active duty tough guys.

Alright, fair enough. I'm going to just leave that line of discussion where it is and admit that I'm a jackass sometimes and I apologize if I've offended you or anyone else. And no, coming from the military in and of itself means nothing. I'm the strongest proponent of this since for reasons I'm not going to get in to.

And, while I'm at it, I'll admit I was a bit short sighted and was basing my statements off of airsoft in the US. But, all in all, my point was that I don't think sniping is practical in airsoft. I never said that it couldn't be fun. I said that I didn't enjoy it, and most people I've met who have tried it also didn't like it.

Cheers.

Alright, fair enough. I'm going to just leave that line of discussion where it is and admit that I'm a jackass sometimes and I apologize if I've offended you or anyone else. And no, coming from the military in and of itself means nothing. I'm the strongest proponent of this since for reasons I'm not going to get in to.

And, while I'm at it, I'll admit I was a bit short sighted and was basing my statements off of airsoft in the US. But, all in all, my point was that I don't think sniping is practical in airsoft. I never said that it couldn't be fun. I said that I didn't enjoy it, and most people I've met who have tried it also didn't like it.

Cheers.

Fair play. ;)

Greg.

But, all in all, my point was that I don't think sniping is practical in airsoft. I never said that it couldn't be fun. I said that I didn't enjoy it, and most people I've met who have tried it also didn't like it.

Most people didn't like it, because they expected something else. They wanted to play the most challenging role with little airsoft experience. It's a pre-programmed failure, except for a few dedicated guys. I started sniping after 2 yrs of skirmishing, when I was clear about my gaming style, and I knew the limits of airsoft guns relatively well. I bought my rifle (3rd hand) from a very disappointed "sniper".

Using a bolt-action demands a different mindset, where fieldcraft, stealth, shooting skill, tactics and careful planning is far more important than firepower or range. It's the same game, but on a higher difficulty setting. :) Here we can use sniper rifles up to 3.3 Joules, so I can shoot smaller presented targets, more accurately on longer distances than most AEGs. The wind effect is less pronounced because of the heavy BBs and the shorter flying time. Since I use a bolt-action, I've less exposure to enemy fire, less sound signature, etc. I can operate at the edge of AEG range where I still have decent accuracy, but not the opponents. I also have the aforementioned psychological advantage: taking people out one-by-one with single shots is more demoralizing than hosing'em down with a support weapon. A couple seasoned bolt-action airsoft snipers can tear apart and frustrate whole line of squads to the point where they start complaining to the marshals. :)

PS: I wasn't offended, but I don't like to post credentials since they don't mean much in airsoft (or on the net).

@ Stealthbomber:

That's a superb tactic, I'll have to give that a try when I've upgraded to 500fps :P

With relevance to the thread, I personally prefer bolties for their realism, but my co-sniper uses a TM M14 SOCOM (silenced and on semi, running approx. 400fps) and does very well with it. As far as our little team goes, I provide the close-range (for the moment) shots, and deal with anyone we want to take out silently, but for people who are further out, and if we get compromised, Matt takes over with his higher rate of fire. Having both options in a sniper pair is a pretty nice luxury to have, let me tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

snipers will always have a role in airsoft.

and as far as engaging targets outside aeg range, why do you think sites have different limits for aeg and bolties?

the ONLY advantage a sniper has is range and accuracy. the rest is down to fieldcraft, shooting skill/familiarity and to be honest, the balls to crawl in a burlap oven, toting a rifle twice as long as an aeg.

the amount of times i've gone charging to an objective and been stopped by a sniper ive lost count. dammit i lost a tooth to a sniper!

oh and the Stealth Assasin, the clone of the TM Mk23 comes with a 'silencer' that is actually a barrel extension. screw that on the end of your TM. an extra 10m range and the muzzle sound is still muffled.

Maybe? :)

50-55m hits are easy with a good rifle and BB.

Forget about 300ft (90m) hits.

Do not fire when the target is moving around.

Do not fire when the wind is blowing.

Do not fire unless you have a good chance (= least 70%) to hit.

Do not fire when the opponent is aware of your position.

Do not fire when the initiative is not yours.

Learn NOT to fire.

It's very simple.

Right!!! i think when the limits are on the field 350fps for aeg and 55o for sniper so you have good chance the aeg with 350 never shoot so long !!! and never so accuarcy! play the right tactic on field and have a good buddy

Aside from that, my personal view of bolt action airsoft sniping is thus; it can be used in one of the two following ways;

1./ Infiltration - A sniper can deploy behind enemy lines, repeating troop positions to the rest of team, who then shift their defense/attack plan accordingly. This type of sniper need not even fire a shot during the game, preferring to use his good position for the good of the team, and not his own personal kill count. If he does fire, it might be an important target, such as the enemy commander, radioman, medic, or support gunner.

2./ Support weapon - This works incredibly well in defensive scenarios, and is the role I prefer to play myself. The sniper sets up on the extreme flank of the defensive line, engaging targets as they present themselves, and generally holding up the enemy advance. This is good for anchoring the flank, and causing much annoyance. The sniper can remain hidden until the very last minute, before selecting the most important targets.

If you have two snipers, you can use the two roles in tandem. This happens sometimes with me and Malakith; he happily trots off, reporting the enemy movements, and helping the flanking defenders take out important targets, while I stay with the main line, anchoring a flank, and picking the attackers off one by one.

A.E.G. snipers usually take the role of Designated Marksman, and I don't see that many of these. I think the whole allure of having an A.E.G. is the full-auto functionality...

Ben.

I couldn't agree more - the most effective use of a sniper is as a force multiplier. Deployed in a recce screen role the sniper is more effective when passing intel about opfor to his team. Plus, if he manages to stay undetected as they pass him by, the morale drop incurred from receiving fire from the rear is amazing to say the least. It induces paranoia and means that a percentage of the opfor are always watching their six and not concentrating on what's happening in front - more chance for them to get taken out by your team.

The credentials background discussion isn't a pissing contest. I don't hold myself in a high enough regard for it to be. I just want to know what you're basing your incredibly broad statement on.

A sniper in airsoft can generally hit a target at about the same distance as an upgraded AEG, but just with a few less BBs in ideal wind conditions. That just doesn't make sniping worth much in my book. Until an airsoft sniper can consistently hit a man-sized target with one or two shots at a range beyond an upgraded AEG, what's the point?

Sometimes it's not about shooting but about not shooting. The old adage of never getting into an *albatross*-kicking contest with a porcupine springs to mind. As someone else said it's about having the mindset to crawl around in 10kg of burlap and vegetation, not minding getting wet or covered in s**t and waiting patiently for the one shot where you've got a high percentage chance of taking someone important out of the game (team commander if opfor have no command structure or target player ie in defend the president type games) and then sneaking away to do it all over again.

Archived