AUG96

snipernoob

Basically my mate and I have been airsoft a short while now and we both agree never to buy and M4/M16 variant (well apart from my M16A1 cos its so damn sexy :P ) but what I'm really saying is we don't like to follow the crowd. SO the story goes that I have a broken Warrior L96 with an awesome custom paintjob and perfect cosmetic condition and he has a slightly battered JG Steyr AUG and we were thinking could we take the internals from my friends AUG (which are still in good condition and cut/fix the gearboc into my L96's housing. Obviously we would have to go about chopping up the magwell and everything but we intend to use my L96's longer inner barrel and the AUG's gearbox and mag.

We are both pretty compentent at DIY/fabrication things and we both have access to a well-equipped workshop which includes a laser cutter.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sounds an interesting project, seems a bit wrong to make a bolt action into a semi (full) sniper rifle but meh who cares? :P Don't be shy in posting up pics :)

The AUG gearbox is good for about 510mm of barrel you can probably get a little bit extra length given it's cylinder but much more and you're going to start loosing FPS. Though you could stick in a slightly stiffer spring or put spacers on the spring guide to compensate.

if you're going to make this into a powerful sniper rifle check with your skirmish site as to what is acceptable - some sites won't allow AEG sniper rifles

Sounds an interesting project, seems a bit wrong to make a bolt action into a semi (full) sniper rifle but meh who cares? :P Don't be shy in posting up pics :)

The AUG gearbox is good for about 510mm of barrel you can probably get a little bit extra length given it's cylinder but much more and you're going to start loosing FPS. Though you could stick in a slightly stiffer spring or put spacers on the spring guide to compensate.

if you're going to make this into a powerful sniper rifle check with your skirmish site as to what is acceptable - some sites won't allow AEG sniper rifles

Yeh but if the AUG is running within site limits with a longer barrel it would be slightly lower on the fps if anything no? :huh:

Not sure what I'm going to do with the bolt - might just glue it shut

I'll try and get some pics of my L96 up later so you can see the paintjob but we haven't started on the project yet so no stripped and ripped pics yet! :P

Would my inner barrel still screw into a gearbox even though it was originally in a boltie :huh:

Yeh but if the AUG is running within site limits with a longer barrel it would be slightly lower on the fps if anything no? :huh:

Not sure what I'm going to do with the bolt - might just glue it shut

I'll try and get some pics of my L96 up later so you can see the paintjob but we haven't started on the project yet so no stripped and ripped pics yet! :P

Would my inner barrel still screw into a gearbox even though it was originally in a boltie :huh:

I love both AUGs and L96s. But I am still unsure what you are trying to do....

Wheres the gearbox gonna go?

I only see two options:

hopethishelps-1.jpg

Also, looks like thats easily a 650+mm barrel. You will need a bore-up kit (expensive) and stronger spring. Non-ported cylinders (your JG is a ported cylinder, for 350-450mm barrels, JG should have used a non-ported 450-520mm cylinder) get bad compression, especially in this application.

So get a spring and new BUK and you'll be set.

Piston/P-head and C-head wouldnt hurt. Go ahead and grab a torque motor, AB MOSFET, and lastly torque gears for better trigger response and better shooting at long range (better trigger response = shooting when you intend to, and not a moment later, invaluable).

I hope my advice helped!

Good luck with this project, its very interesting and I'll subscribe to it to keep an eye on developments!

Wheres the gearbox gonna go?

I only see two options:

hopethishelps-1.jpg

Also, looks like thats easily a 650+mm barrel. You will need a bore-up kit (expensive) and stronger spring. Non-ported cylinders (your JG is a ported cylinder, for 350-450mm barrels, JG should have used a non-ported 450-520mm cylinder) get bad compression, especially in this application.

So get a spring and new BUK and you'll be set.

Piston/P-head and C-head wouldnt hurt. Go ahead and grab a torque motor, AB MOSFET, and lastly torque gears for better trigger response and better shooting at long range (better trigger response = shooting when you intend to, and not a moment later, invaluable).

I hope my advice helped!

Good luck with this project, its very interesting and I'll subscribe to it to keep an eye on developments!

Hmm a good point you've highlighted there - I think my major worry is going to be where the mag is going to go in realtion to the gearbox.

I'm going to do a full strip down tonight of my L96 and remove the internals but is there anyway we could use a feed tube from the mag so that it could go, in theory, anywhere we wanted it to?

Standard inner barrel length in Well L96 is 496mm so it is shorter than the AUG inner barrel of 509mm

Also, the stock L96 inner of this type of L96 is not going to fit with an AUG hop unit.

So, that leaves you with the 509mm from the AUG, if it is sticking out the end then consider adding a flash hider/silencer adapter.

Hmm a good point you've highlighted there - I think my major worry is going to be where the mag is going to go in realtion to the gearbox.

I'm going to do a full strip down tonight of my L96 and remove the internals but is there anyway we could use a feed tube from the mag so that it could go, in theory, anywhere we wanted it to?

Nope... beyond a certain lenght, and without using huge hicaps, youd have bbs in the tube, not none feeding. it has to for economy;s sake, go bellow the hop :P

I use spring feed tube in my Barrett. No problem there once you fill the tube with BBs. I use 100mm pieces that means 17BB has to enter the tube before the mag start to feed BB into the hopup. That means I can fire around 60BBs from each 85BB mag. If you use a 500mm piece you will have to insert the mag, have the BBs fill tube, then insert a fresh mag and there, all 85BBs will be fed without problem. Just make sure you change the mag while the gun is upside down or the BBs are otherwise blocked so they don't fall out.

The biggest concern is the perfect alignment of the hopup unit and the nozzle on the gearbox. 1 degree tilt or 1mm off center and you will end up with 200 FPS and crappy feeding.

Feed tube from the mag? You mean the internals of the magazine? Sure, but it would involve lots of modification to make it work right.

In theory yes, in practice, all modifications get much more complicated.

nice, im sure youll love it when you get on the field and lay down semi auto fire, giving everyone down range quite the surprise.

SEMI AUTO???!!!!

I'm going the whole hog and showing them what a full auto L96 can do!!!

but projects going well so far just need the precision work doing

Haha, LOL, Ok Ok... It does defeat the point of a sniper, but it is fun... Anyway, we had basically 2 broken guns so now we have one non broken one, the gearbox has been straightened out since the picture, and the tape is just the to cover up the gearbox for the photo, we are actually gonna mount the L96 rail on top of some PVC plastic moulded cover for the gearbox... i'll show you when its done... LOL

Haha, LOL, Ok Ok... It does defeat the point of a sniper, but it is fun... Anyway, we had basically 2 broken guns so now we have one non broken one, the gearbox has been straightened out since the picture, and the tape is just the to cover up the gearbox for the photo, we are actually gonna mount the L96 rail on top of some PVC plastic moulded cover for the gearbox... i'll show you when its done... LOL

Its definitely an interesting idea. Its a shame the gearbox wouldnt fit in the stock. It may have been possible, but your cheekrest dies in the process. You could have run an integrated silencer instead of an airbrake if that was the case. (also more compact)

Whats the new barrel length? Or is it the same?

Archived