Modern Technique of the Pistol.

FireKnife

I have tried it on a target by putting a circle target at chest height and then a can at head hit and having to double tap the target then hit the can in three shots.

Doubt i will use it in airsoft but it does teach speed and acqusition of a target quite well.

'FireKnife'

Also another one i have tried is a variation of the El Presidente.

Place six standard 330ml cans in a line behind you, face away from them with weapon holster and amrs behind head like a hostage situation.

From this position you must turn, draw, fire and hit each of the six cans in order from your firing hand side across (so right handed people at at the far right can and move across).

Since i am planning a short 5 session course on this to introduce a friend (female, not girlfriend) to airsoft pistol shooting to get her used to speed, acqusition and accuracy. May just call it the SAA teachings ^_^.

'FireKnife'

pulling your pistol out usually means your about one minute from dying,no matter what techniques you pull you just cant match a full auto weapon

Only if you're in woodland or you're ###### with your pistol. And not even always in woodland. I've have very successful days in both CQB and woodland using nothing but pistols. Hells, last year at Ground Zero I used my pistols all Saturday and did ridiculously well (mostly because crawling through bushes with pistols is easier than crawling through bushes with a rifle).

In urban combat, pistols are quite simply much faster to point-shoot than pretty much anything else, and most of the time? That's all you need.

I've been in a situation where I was assaulting a room (bear in mind there is no cover at all inside this room, it wouldn't have worked otherwise) with three guys in it, and a friend of mine is providing enough covering fire that they're keeping their heads down. Take two steps back from the door, accelerate from a standing start into a run and you're in the room and past the defender's initial aim-point before he can react (literally within half a second you've got to have cleared the door opening). You then have a further 0.5s plus shock time (What the Hell is he doing over there?) plus the time it takes your opponent to bring his weapon to face you and pull the trigger in which to shoot at them. It helps (a lot!) if you have some idea where the enemy is going to be, and can start turning to face them as you move through the door.

In this situation, I'll take a pistol over a rifle any day of the week. That said, it is ALL point shooting, and not even particularly realistic point shooting because unless you've got a wall to spin and thump your back into you'll likely be shooting while you're still moving at a rate of knots. On the other hand, in airsoft- it works!

Also, going around corners. Pistol fits much better, and doesn't give you away before you get around- with a rifle it's a case of, "Right, I see his muzzle... wait for it... here he comes!" If you've got a pistol and are in a defensive position against a guy whose rifle is poking around the door, you can see where he's aiming already: Duck under it or lean out over it and you can often take him out and duck back round the corner before his friends can react.

I'm not even claiming to be anything special. I've just done a LOT of airsofting, and specifically a lot of airsofting with pistols.

In terms of aim points on the body, I do tend to double or triple-tap: I have quite a fast double-tap action (which, yes, I have practised endlessly) and when I triple I usually do go for a triangle spread, but I try not to let it wander up to head height: it's more to increase the likelihood of my hitting the target by spreading the shots across an area rather than a line than to try to find a soft spot.

Only if you're in woodland or you're ###### with your pistol. And not even always in woodland. I've have very successful days in both CQB and woodland using nothing but pistols. Hells, last year at Ground Zero I used my pistols all Saturday and did ridiculously well (mostly because crawling through bushes with pistols is easier than crawling through bushes with a rifle).

In urban combat, pistols are quite simply much faster to point-shoot than pretty much anything else, and most of the time? That's all you need.

I've been in a situation where I was assaulting a room (bear in mind there is no cover at all inside this room, it wouldn't have worked otherwise) with three guys in it, and a friend of mine is providing enough covering fire that they're keeping their heads down. Take two steps back from the door, accelerate from a standing start into a run and you're in the room and past the defender's initial aim-point before he can react (literally within half a second you've got to have cleared the door opening). You then have a further 0.5s plus shock time (What the Hell is he doing over there?) plus the time it takes your opponent to bring his weapon to face you and pull the trigger in which to shoot at them. It helps (a lot!) if you have some idea where the enemy is going to be, and can start turning to face them as you move through the door.

In this situation, I'll take a pistol over a rifle any day of the week. That said, it is ALL point shooting, and not even particularly realistic point shooting because unless you've got a wall to spin and thump your back into you'll likely be shooting while you're still moving at a rate of knots. On the other hand, in airsoft- it works!

Also, going around corners. Pistol fits much better, and doesn't give you away before you get around- with a rifle it's a case of, "Right, I see his muzzle... wait for it... here he comes!" If you've got a pistol and are in a defensive position against a guy whose rifle is poking around the door, you can see where he's aiming already: Duck under it or lean out over it and you can often take him out and duck back round the corner before his friends can react.

I'm not even claiming to be anything special. I've just done a LOT of airsofting, and specifically a lot of airsofting with pistols.

In terms of aim points on the body, I do tend to double or triple-tap: I have quite a fast double-tap action (which, yes, I have practised endlessly) and when I triple I usually do go for a triangle spread, but I try not to let it wander up to head height: it's more to increase the likelihood of my hitting the target by spreading the shots across an area rather than a line than to try to find a soft spot.

2nd , and a very big one!!!

In CQB i almost always use my pistol (my IPSC Hi-CAPA)...

Nothing and nobody who can match that kind of accuracy and trigger response in CQB...

Just seen this over on ASCUK, interesting vids Todd Jarrett shooting tips

This thread has inspired me to get more practice in with my pistol, I do use it quite a lot during skirmishes and use a variation of the Weaver stance, as other have said the speed with which you can aquire you target and react is so much faster than with an AEG, for clearing Buildings and Bunkers the pistol reigns supreme IMHO :D

hmmm... this is what ive always practiced. i thought this was normal. in no way am i saying that im a "master" heh, not at all. but ive always used a basic form of this technique.

for me, its been very useful for airsoft, especially when clearing rooms with my pistol.

really interesting article though, i learned alot

-Joe

2nd , and a very big one!!!

In CQB i almost always use my pistol (my IPSC Hi-CAPA)...

Nothing and nobody who can match that kind of accuracy and trigger response in CQB...

I 3rd that! I use one of my many standard class race guns.

You compromise magazine capacity, accuracy, rof, reliability and optics when using a pistol so I'd disagree.

Umm, nope.

Ok the gas temperature can sometimes be an issue, I grant you that but otherwise I disagree.

Race guns in the open class often have optics, C-More red dots and even 45mm RDS, anything that can go on a rail essentially, for this sort of shooting I would personally go without but essentially its very easy to get a rail onto your pistol. As regards magazine capacity, well you can have 31 rounds (Hi Capa) or even 48 rounds (Extended WA mags) which, to be frank is more than enough as when engaging a target with a pistol you go through about 3 rounds at most, how many more would you use in your AEG? I think its relative frankly.

As for accuracy my upgraded Springfield can achieve grouping superior to an AEG in practiced hands out to about 15 metres, the only thing I have that betters it are my systema PTW's.

As for rate of fire, well an oldie but a goodie: Why do something with 300 rounds when you can achieve the same with 1? besides which most pistols can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger anyway, a practiced shooter can manage about 5~7 rounds per second (not counting draw and acquisition), most people can do about 4 or so.

A race gun for you (Open class)

First guy, point shots two in the chest, turns and does a Mozambique drill on the other guy then finishes the incapacitated first target with a headshot. An example of effective point shooting use, even if it is from a film. So a target turns the corner in front of you, gun drawn but side on to you, you draw and put out a shot from the hip then bring up to eyeline, then fire. The first shot will either cause a reaction or a hit, followed by two to the chest just to ensure a hit.

'FireKnife'

Not really, as the person being shot is on the same payroll as the shooter. IRL you double tap the centre of mass as it doesn't move as fast and stays in the same place (more or less) relative to the rest of the body. The 'Mozambique' strikes me as merely prudence on the part of the shooter (never leave a wounded enemy behind you) as there have been cases of people high on drugs who have taken excessive numbers of rounds before they fell over. Shooting from the hip looks good in the movies but there's no substitute for an aimed shot however quick the aiming process is carried out. The best sight I ever used for snap shooting was the Guttersnipe sight on the ASP 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Two main tactics. Dual wielding. Come through the door way with the left pistol shooting in his general direction. This makes him look for cover. Then take him with the right. Or if I have the glocks, you can step out and rip him with both guns.

One pistol. I always shoot free handed since you never know which direction you will be coming from. Holding the gun with two hands slows down the time it takes you to target. You should always have the pistol in the dominate direction. Shooting counter clock would call for a right handed pistol and clockwise would be a left. Otherwise you need to expose more than the pistol in order to clear the corner. If I know I am making a counterclockwise direction around a building. I will have the gun in the right and an extra mag in the left. Reloads are then down to about three seconds and can be done in the time it takes to step back if your shot at.

Archived