Definition of airsoft sniper

scar527

LOL freaked out by a guy wearing a bush with a springer...............oh dear.

Some of us, use gas :P

This topic is a can of worms, but you've drawn me into a short reply (you could write pages on this I guess).

I guess an "Airsoft Sniper" is :

1) Someone who is willing to replace firepower with skills. Someone who is willing to make the game far harder for themselves; by making it so that if they are seen too close, they are hosed down by several AEG's from a larger team. These opponents, often, substitute marksmanship or skills with simple high cap firepower (listening PANZER8?)

2) Someone who doesn't work closely or behind his own team (this role is commonly called "Dedicated Marksman" in Airsoft Jargon.) "Airsoft Snipers" play either in a pair (often with an AEG partner) or alone.

3) Someone who bases themselves on quasi military/film/computer snipers. Often, they try to have a certain image/look/loadout (military unit). Their main objective is "killing," often using ambush tactics.

4) Often dedicated to tuning their rifle to be better than everyone else's. They often have a ghillie suit too, although it is not required to be an "Airsoft Sniper".

5) They may have AEG, instead of bolt action, yet can still play the same role IMO.

Meanwhile, a 6mm HUNTER (apart from being the name of my group of players) is :

1) Someone who is willing to make the game as hard as possible, by stripping away team mates and safe zones and tents etc. Hunting and being hunted, by players who are their equals, in tense games of cat and mouse.

2) Someone who views the game as an extreme hunting sport (hunting the ultimate/hardest quarry). Someone, who plays as hard as possible to win, yet with great sportsmanship.

3) Someone happy to play with guns that are completely identical to all opponents (no technical advantage). Using only a severely limited number of shots (eg. 22 shots for 2 day).

4) Someone who wants a tough physical and mental challenge, rather than instant action/fun. Hunteering for several days, in any weather, non stop. Often the main buzz is after the event upon reflection, rather than just the adrenaline during or discomforts you endure.

5) Someone who tries not to imitate anything else, other than the forest floor. They "tag" other people, and the word "kill" is something that they do not use out of context.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if any of that sounds elitist, but it is my opinion (which is what you asked for). Hopefully, now you could see the difference between the 2 definitions. Either definition is striving to be the elite; the best of the best (be that best Airsofter or best hunteer) and maybe that's what sets them apart from people who realise they need their team round them and big magazines/ROF, just to stay in the game.

Good Hunting ;)

2) Someone who doesn't work closely or behind his own team (this role is commonly called "Dedicated Marksman" in Airsoft Jargon.) "Airsoft Snipers" play either in a pair (often with an AEG partner) or alone.

Too true, i often will take my AEG out with me and spot for our other Sniper and lay and wait for most of a morning making sure were not spotted and defending him from someone who gets too close

Actually I know of very few airsoft snipers. Airsoft sniping is quite different than the real thing or movies. Airsoft snipers that are worth their salt nearly never stop running. They are the best and do like to work with a tail gunner so they don't get shot in the back.

They fire and move immediately and are not satisfied with one or two kills in a day but tend to rack up as many kills as the rest of the players with AEG's.

I have seen an airsoft sniper playing with an upgraded PSG1 running around in a traffic guard outfit with bright orange on in the winter with no leaves wipe out 6 players in a bunker with aegs. In fact as they were killed they were always aiming in the wrong direction, it was amazing.

Thanks

glock21

It's not much but a small opinion from a dark, damp corner of Scotland, but what little time I've spent in game behind a scope and a good gas or spring boltie, I've loved. The only thing more satisfying to me is taking on AEGs with pistols and coming out on top.

Different strokes for different folks!

Some of us, use gas :P

This topic is a can of worms, but you've drawn me into a short reply (you could write pages on this I guess).

I guess an "Airsoft Sniper" is :

1) Someone who is willing to replace firepower with skills. Someone who is willing to make the game far harder for themselves; by making it so that if they are seen too close, they are hosed down by several AEG's from a larger team. These opponents, often, substitute marksmanship or skills with simple high cap firepower (listening PANZER8?)

3) Someone who bases themselves on quasi military/film/computer snipers. Often, they try to have a certain image/look/loadout (military unit). Their main objective is "killing," often using ambush tactics.

4) Often dedicated to tuning their rifle to be better than everyone else's. They often have a ghillie suit too, although it is not required to be an "Airsoft Sniper".

5) They may have AEG, instead of bolt action, yet can still play the same role IMO.

Meanwhile, a 6mm HUNTER (apart from being the name of my group of players) is :

1) Someone who is willing to make the game as hard as possible, by stripping away team mates and safe zones and tents etc. Hunting and being hunted, by players who are their equals, in tense games of cat and mouse.

2) Someone who views the game as an extreme hunting sport (hunting the ultimate/hardest quarry). Someone, who plays as hard as possible to win, yet with great sportsmanship.

3) Someone happy to play with guns that are completely identical to all opponents (no technical advantage). Using only a severely limited number of shots (eg. 22 shots for 2 day).

4) Someone who wants a tough physical and mental challenge, rather than instant action/fun. Hunteering for several days, in any weather, non stop. Often the main buzz is after the event upon reflection, rather than just the adrenaline during or discomforts you endure.

5) Someone who tries not to imitate anything else, other than the forest floor. They "tag" other people, and the word "kill" is something that they do not use out of context.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if any of that sounds elitist, but it is my opinion (which is what you asked for). Hopefully, now you could see the difference between the 2 definitions. Either definition is striving to be the elite; the best of the best (be that best Airsofter or best hunteer) and maybe that's what sets them apart from people who realise they need their team round them and big magazines/ROF, just to stay in the game.

Good Hunting ;)

totslly agree with you there bushman - oddly enough i remembered it was you who came up with that idea not long after i posted.

mac

I define the word "sniper" by hardware and tactics.

A sniper in my book is someone who wears a ghilli suit (in a woodland setting) and uses a high-powered bolt-action or semi-automatic rifle as a primary weapon. He would work alone or with a similarly equipped spotter (carrying an assault rifle instead of a sniper rifle) separate from other units. His objectives include reconnaissance, intelligence gathering, and elimination of select targets.

A designated marksman would be a squad member who is armed with a modified assault rifle. His would function as the eyes of the squad and provide the extra reach when necessary.

Mmmm, well, I don't know about you, but I hit plenty of stuff.... =P

But you're right - at a normal skirmish, we fire a lot more than a real deal sniper does.

So I think an airsoft sniper is halfway between a real sniper, and a real dedicated marksman.

Remember, they get orders, either a specific target, or overwatch on an area, or something. We just have to roam around shooting at stuff. But we like bolt actions and ghilles....

Ben.

I'd have to say it depends on the situation, on most game types we can be used as effective scouts, relaying troop movements via comms, and we can be used to hold objectives on our own, calling for reinforcements when needed. And as for never hitting anything i would have to entirely disagree, i expend around 2-3 shots per target and i certainly dont spend all day running.

far better to lock down an area of enemy troop advancement, our presence can slow the other teams advance to a crawl and force them to avoid the flanks, thus protecting the team in defence missions.

The prime definition these days in my neck of the woods is as much "victim of circumstance" as it is "one shot, one kill" - thanks to the 0.97J legislation (still, there are plenty of us still about and as long as one can play the terrain well enough, a silent shot out of nowhere can still unsettle an opposing team).

For myself, its more a matter of The Fat One nicking all the good AEGs, and the fact that my stumpy little legs do not do well in the underbush any more.

Archived