Cheap Rocket-Laucher idea.

Stormleader

Ok, I've got a idea for a really cheap RL.

My idea would be that you would have a tube, a spring-powered plunger, and a End cap and with hole with a slot on either side (Like this -O-).

The plunger would have a O-ring with the same diameter as the inside of the tube on a plunger head made out of something, the plunger body would be made out of PVC. It would also have a rod through it, so that you could cock the plunger, then twist it to lock it into place.

The end cap would be glued onto the body of the laucher, most likely a PVC pipe.

So to fire, you would pull the plunger back, twist it to lock it into place, then load the rocket (A peice of foam) And then once you have your target picked you would twist the plunger again.

I hope that all of that made sense, if not, just ask!

I'm also looking for ideas to improve the design.

-Stormy

I actually has the same idea for a science fair project, I think it will work very well if you can get the spring back far enough. I would love to have one of these to launch nerf rockets out of, beats having to use CO2 cartridges and valves, a lot more simple too. The only difference with mine is that it works like an HK gun, and an HK slap. The rod would be put up in a little notch, and then when I push it down, the spring would go forward and shoot the nerf rocket out.

• 2 weeks later...

So the whole thing would be like a giant springer bazooka? And the whole thing is the piston?

I have the same idea before. I was never really sure if that kinda system would have enough power to launch a "rocket" though.

Also if I'm understanding this right, and it is supposed to be like a springer then the charging handle wont exactly work due to the slot for it letting air escape and preventing compression.

Heres a quick diagram of what I had in mind:

untitled-2.jpg

Note: Scale of things is a bit off but it should get the idea across

So the whole thing would be like a giant springer bazooka? And the whole thing is the piston?

I have the same idea before. I was never really sure if that kinda system would have enough power to launch a "rocket" though.

Also if I'm understanding this right, and it is supposed to be like a springer then the charging handle wont exactly work due to the slot for it letting air escape and preventing compression.

Heres a quick diagram of what I had in mind:

untitled-2.jpg

Note: Scale of things is a bit off but it should get the idea across

well ... i think it is a nice idea but ... where are you gonna find a spring to power it ???

Seems like a lot of faff to make a rocket launcher, you'd be better off using compressed air/gas. Take a spud-cannon design and craft it to fire foam projectiles - it's going to be a darn sight less fuss than trying to make a big piston, plus the overall unit will be shorter with a longer barrel.

Psah, all this has been done before - just google "paintball rocket launcher".

The really hard part for airsoft is the projectiles.

They both need to be dirt cheap, have some kind of impact reaction AND be safe to be shot in the head with.

The really hard part for airsoft is the projectiles.

They both need to be dirt cheap, have some kind of impact reaction AND be safe to be shot in the head with.

Balloons filled with BBs... Balloons filled with popcorn kernals.

As people have suggested, bungee cords. Someone on the old ASR made a bungee launcher, I'll try to dig up a picture.

Balloons filled with BBs... Balloons filled with popcorn kernals.

To light, wont fly more than a few metres

no impact reaction, wont even break

how do you get popcorn kernals into a baloon?

Ive been down that road, and if this is going to be

even remotley usable it needs quite a bit of force.

Just make an air-cannon, its both easier and cheaper.

Archived