Adding realism to an AK?

longjohn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bah then i probably won't bother with it then.

So the top is already metal, getting metal reciever,  and real wood kit.

Ok is there any other plastic parts that i can change with metal parts?

will this wood kit fit without too much modification?

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=270&1=271&3=53

dunno if it will since its an akm kit.

The grips would maybe only need some sandpaper, and the stock would need a little more job with cutting inside and outside to make it fit to the body. The pistol-grip I think you can forget, cause it would be a hell of a job to make that fit with the motor. For 80bucks.. I would go for it. (With that kit, i've would go for the AKM look with AKM flashhider,ribbed upper reciever and Guarder AKM magazine kit)

go for that look http://russianarms.info/rushtm/photos/Gall...elbi1%20159.jpg

If it's the Guarder AKMS Carbine conversion kit you're refering to, then the proper nomenclature would be AKMSU, not AKSU.

The AKMSU has the thumb-grip handguard and AKMS folding stock, not the AKS-74 side-folding stock, and also the AKMSU is chambered in 7.62 mm, just like the AK-47/AKM/AKMS, while the AKSU (AKS-74U) is chambered in 5.45 mm, like the AK-74.

The AKS-74U is the weapon known as the AKSU.

I think you're a bit confused.

The AK alphanumeric designations do not refer to any individual model with regards to specific styles of furniture and folding stocks. The letters and numbers only designate specific features regarding length and series.

The original AK47 used a milled steel receiver identifiable by large, shallow rectangular cutouts above the mag well:

ak.jpg

The AKM introduced in 1959 utilized a stamped, bent-up sheet metal receiver to save manufacturing costs and time, as well as weight. It is identifiable by small, deep dimples over the magazine well:

akm.jpg

The AK74 is exactly the same as the AKM aside from different furniture and a different chambering in 5.45x39.5 M74. The receiver and trunnion remain the same:

ak74.jpg

Therefore, aside from the Hundred-series, we have three generations of Kalashnikovs that are designated either AK for the original model, AKM for any model using a stamped receiver, and AK74 for any model chambered for 5.45mm.

The designation S refers to any model with a folding stock, regardless if it's an underfolder or a side folder. The designation U (ukorochenny) refers to any short-barrelled AK regardless of other features.

Since every airsoft receiver except the Guarder unit is modelled after the original milled AK47 style, the proper designation for the Guarder AKMS kit is AKSU as it is a milled receiver, short barrelled, folding stock weapon. The AKMSU would be the same but strictly using the stamped receiver, which only Guarder makes. Any airsoft gun cannot call itself an AKM-anything unless it has a stamped-style receiver.

Furthermore, what you call the AKSU is the AKS-74U (or AKSU-74). Without the 74 designation it is only an AK model, which refers to the milled receiver chambered in 7.62x39mm M43. There is no importance placed upon the style of handguard, thumbhole or otherwise, or folding stock. It is perfectly acceptable to have an AKMSU with a smooth handguard and side-folding stock.

One thing being a small arms technical advisor to the film and videogame industry has taught me, is study study study. Any book by Ed Ezell is worth its weight in gold, as are any volumes of Jane's Infantry Weapons and Jane's Ammunition Handbook. http://world.guns.ru/ is also an excellent resource. Hope this helps.

here is one of my AK

ak1.jpg

ak2.jpg

ak3.jpg

rear butt and front handguard and real stuff from poland.

the hand grip are TM plastic grip, but I do re-paint it and it looks better.

rear butt cannot accept a battery again so I need to re-wire it, and put the battery same as AK47s.

I worked on the bolt carrier also, now it looks like exactly the real one, and it can be pulled to the most rear position.

Archived