Teammate interested in TM MP5SD6

HC Airsoft

as stated, one of my friends is interested in the TM MP6SD6. Is the silencer foam filled or not?

Foam filled or not, how much of an effect does it have on the sound of the AEG firing? (is it anything like the P90TR silencer's awesome effect?)

If puchased the AEG will be imported, so no need for posts about how american shops do not sell foam filled silencers, silencers are illegal, etc. Essentially my friend wants an SD series MP5, but whichever model he goes with has to have a fully functional (foam filled) silencer.

Thanks for the help!

I have no idea about the legality of silencers in the USA, so I won't comment.

However, I will say that if he wants an MP5SD6, or any MP5 for that matter, I would strongly advise him not to get a TM. They're not bad as such (they're perfectly serviceable guns), it's just that nowadays you can get much better MP5s. I would suggest a CA, G&G or CYMA. A CA B&T guns are excellent and have the advantage of a new hop-up design which takes the more normal form of an adjustment lever behind an opening ejection port, which is a marked improvement over previous designs. I've not heard much about G&Gs but apparently they're very good as well, and some have a blowback system. CYMAs are clones of G&G and great guns as well.

Stu.

I have one I got used. The silencer on it was a hollow plastic can. In my travels I picked up a JG one as a spare and it was much heavier with fake plastic baffles as part of the can.

The don't seem to make it that quiet (vs my SCAR and AK with foam packed cans).

as stated, one of my friends is interested in the TM MP6SD6. Is the silencer foam filled or not?

Foam filled or not, how much of an effect does it have on the sound of the AEG firing? (is it anything like the P90TR silencer's awesome effect?)

If puchased the AEG will be imported, so no need for posts about how american shops do not sell foam filled silencers, silencers are illegal, etc. Essentially my friend wants an SD series MP5, but whichever model he goes with has to have a fully functional (foam filled) silencer.

Thanks for the help!

The TM SD suppressors are not foam filled. However, they do have porting or "baffles". The muffling effect is minimal, it doesn't really make it much quieter, but it does change the pitch.

Thanks for the help!

I'm confused. You want to know if your friend can get a foam filled can on his imported MP5, which is a legal question, but you don't want me to tell you that it is illegal, which is a legal answer. Well you are either looking for a loophole, and good luck with that, or you just don't care about the law, and in that case you should really find another hobby. I'll assume you are looking for a loophole, for the sake of keeping thinks civil.

So there is a lot of hesitation to put foam in a suppressor in the US, and there is good reason. If you put foam in a suppressor, as rediculous as this might sound, it is considered manufacturing a suppressor, and if you don't get the $200 ATF tax stamp, and you happen to get caught, that means about 10 years in prison. Naturally, something that is regulated and requires government authorization to manufacture is illegal to import. The only way that I know of to get around this is to have a suppressor that was already foam filled before they started cracking down on this. Even then, you're not in very good shape.

That being said, the likeliness of getting in trouble for this is slim to none, since most cops aren't going to care about your airsoft silencer. The laws are in place because airsoft silencers would be fairly easy to turn into real suppressors with a few modifications. So basically, you don't want to modify them. Period. If it came with foam, then you didn't modify it. If it didn't come with foam (which BTW, Maruis don't), then you are illegally manufacturing a suppressor, and you need to either not do that, or do it legally by using a Form 1 $200 suppressor tax stamp, or risk 10 years in prison.

And yes, foam makes a difference. It changes the sound completely and can almost silence the perceived noise of the gun.

Snip...

Exp,

He stated that he didn't care about the legal issue here. You miss-read the OP's post.

He merely wanted to know whether the TM stock silencer had foam in it, which it doesn't. Some have given him suggestions for silencer/front set options with foam. He also wanted to know if a foam filled silencer, in airsoft, actually did anything to suppress the sound. From my personal experience with a socom suppressor with foam baffles the answer is no. As some others have said it may alter the pitch, but at the end of the day it doesn't really make it quieter.

With AEG's the real noise comes from either the motor turning the gears and the thwack from the piston head hitting the cylinder head. The suppressor can act to deaden some of the sound coming from the barrel, but most of the sound come straight through the body. There are plenty of ways to make a gun quieter, and combined with other things a suppressor can help, but a suppressor on it's own isn't going to do much and probably isn't worth the cost and effort of purchasing beyond aesthetic value.

As said above my ICS MP5 SD3 came with a foam fillled silencer. In a review on Justpistols the guy tests the loudness with and without a silencer and theres a 5-6 dB drop, he says an extra 10 dB equals double the loudness so a drop of 5-6 is quite significant.

Archived