Sniper Training

TheProfessional

I know a lot of airsofters try to be as "authentic" as possible. So i was just curious to see how many people have actually tried to read sniper training field manuals and or other training materials. I just recently got the urge to add a sniper rifle to my arsenal and i know i like the idea of it but i've always been the type of person that if i do decide to do something i'm going to do it "right". I want to be able to use it and also have to ability to move and act like a sniper as well...just not play the part of one and pretend i'm one. And i figure short of enlisting and becoming a marine scout sniper (which there is no chance in hell that's going to happen, and not that i wouldn't want to, but because they wouldn't accept me!), I figured maybe reading some field manuals and training materials might give me a better understanding of techniques actual scout snipers use.

Anyone else actually try this and find that it was useful? And did it help you out on the field?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get yourself some good quality general fieldcraft manuals as a starting point. Sniping is 80-90% fieldcraft. After all, you need to be in a position to shoot your target before you can actually take him out.

Good luck!

Oh i already have quite a few. And there's some great information in there for those wanting get a better understanding of wind, distance and target recognition...i highly recommend picking up some of these training manuals.

Doh, sorry Askey and theproffesional, biffed the email, second one sent WITH the attachment this time! lol

Got it, thanks.

Even after just skimming some of these training manuals... I definitely have a new found respect for Military trained snipers. The amount of information these guys need to process in order to get a shot off is amazing. Not to mention just being able to get into position to shoot at a target.

madwelshman, pm sent...

im lucky enough to have a brit army sniper instructor come down and do training weekends with us.

its surprising what you think is involved in sniping, only to have it rubbished and torn apart, and then be taught things you never even thought about.

i am making my third ghillie suit due to this ;)

i also read as much material as possible, and use the info as best as i can. ebay and the internet are responsible for my literature for the last 6 months or so!

madwelshman, pm sent...

im lucky enough to have a brit army sniper instructor come down and do training weekends with us.

its surprising what you think is involved in sniping, only to have it rubbished and torn apart, and then be taught things you never even thought about.

i am making my third ghillie suit due to this ;)

i also read as much material as possible, and use the info as best as i can. ebay and the internet are responsible for my literature for the last 6 months or so!

How long has the instructor been helping you?

It really is surprising. Like you, the things that i found the most interesting were the little subtle details that you wouldn't think about unless you were actually taught to look for things like that.

Have you read/learned about the distance calculations based on how much detail you can see on a person's face and body outline? If you haven't, highly recommend it...

How long has the instructor been helping you?

It really is surprising. Like you, the things that i found the most interesting were the little subtle details that you wouldn't think about unless you were actually taught to look for things like that.

Have you read/learned about the distance calculations based on how much detail you can see on a person's face and body outline? If you haven't, highly recommend it...

he's a friend of the guy who runs our site, so he's been helping him out for a bit, but ive only had 1 (intense) training weekend, with 8 of us, him, and 2 other snipers aiding him.

we have another one coming up though, and run practice sessions on none-game days for those who did the course, to keep the training up.

the distance thing was really useful like you say, and the detail and things you go into, as said before, is unbelievable.

cheers,

shmook

highly recommended if anyone of you get the chance at your site!

he's a friend of the guy who runs our site, so he's been helping him out for a bit, but ive only had 1 (intense) training weekend, with 8 of us, him, and 2 other snipers aiding him.

we have another one coming up though, and run practice sessions on none-game days for those who did the course, to keep the training up.

the distance thing was really useful like you say, and the detail and things you go into, as said before, is unbelievable.

cheers,

shmook

highly recommended if anyone of you get the chance at your site!

Sounds amazing to get one on one time with someone who actually knows what they're doing!

TheProfessional, could you host the one I sent you? half the time I try to attach the manual, it doesnt work! (I'm a computer biff!)

I'm not actually hosting anything, its a site that hosts documents and they happen to have field manuals!

But the manual you sent me is the "Sniper Training Field Manual 23-10" that i posted.

Archived