Sniper Training

TheProfessional

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pics are gooood! showing them to my flatmate, who isnt very military minded, she then asked

"so that ghillie suit you made will hide you in bushes" (her words! lol)

So I said gimmie 2 minutes and pop into the garden, try and spot me....

Scared the ###### out of her, I waited in the house and followed her outside! Boo!!! she jumped screamed and hit me in one go! lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sniper skills one is a bit retro :D

I like it, pretty interesting

Mark Spicer is actually a superb author, its just that no-one (read: Us ) notices his stuff until it looks dated :)

His first book was more readily applicable to Airsoft (concentrated more on camo/fieldcraft) but its been OOP for a while sadly (Its just called "Sniper" if you ever see it). Major John.J.Plaster also wrote an interesting book called "The Ultimate Sniper" but while of some use it won't add anything more immediately useful than the links above.

On the subject of training we were lucky enough to have an ex-Army/Police sniper in my old team so he did all the training we could ever want - not particularly to be more authentic, just to give us a bit of a kick up the *albartroth* when we got lazy. Covered all the usual fieldcraft/camouflage/communications/marksmanship to CTR, patrolling and Target Identification in Urban areas (man, thats long-winded stuff).

Not particularly neccessary for us BB-lobbers but its interesting to get an overview.

• 1 month later...
If anyone wants the U.S. Sniper carde manual, gimmie a nudge, i'll email you a copy ;)

Could you send that please

the email's

phillipmayes@ho*m**l.co.uk

thanks

Chef Edit.

Squeezed... I've blotted a bit of your email out so any online spam-bots don't get hold if it and cause you untold nightmares. Not always wise to post such information in an open forum. Best to send it in a PM.

Hopefully Tony can work out what it is when he sees it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, just had another weekend training with brit army snipers!

4 in total, one a master sniper/instructor.

there were 5 of us, but one guy jacked on the second day (today) and walked off in a huff on a stalk!

personally, for me, it was epic. magaged to zap the DS on the 1st concealment ex - we all cam up and hide, then the spotter turns round and searches for any sign. i was not not seen for approx 40 mins, so a walker approaches to within 10 metres (you let them know where you are), indicates general location. i was not seen. walker moves to 5 metres away. again not seen by spotter/observer who is a trained sniper.

fire a shot, hit. not seen. asked to ID a letter held at head height, as a test to see if you are really on target... got that too.

then fire a second shot. still not seen. got a 'pass 10' for that, highest grade.

today, we did a stalk, not a huge one due to our field size, around 600 - 700 metres, with the instructor in an OP searching. we had an hour and a half to get within 50 metres of him and be in a position to shoot.

i was the only one to make it, everyone else got seen en route. got the shot off, and still wasnt seen, even when he was given my position.

it sounds like im blowing my own trumpet here, and i suppose i am a bit!

its just that im still on a high, its truly a real rush for me to do this, gets my blood pumping every time!

also, dont get me wrong, im not professing to be a super leet sniporz who am better than army...

i just took the lessons he (the instructor) gave, and applied them. he said if you listen to what he says, anyone can do it.

its just hard to remember details when thinking about loads of stuff at once, but this weekend it all came together for me!

also chaps, i highly recommend getting a periscope. mine saved my *albatross* when i misjudged on the stalk, and had a look round with it.... only to find i was 15 metres from the OP! if i had stuck my head up instead, i would have been pinged immediately! had to do a bit of backtracking there...

anyway, apologies for the ramble,

shmook

The Bushman, cheers, it truly was amazing. the second time ive done it now.

as for the 'scope, it is a golf/sporting one. extends on a little side bar, X5 magnification. i got it second hand on ebay for £20, but they are on there for £36 delivered.

i just sprayed it green (covered the lenses and removed the prism first!) and wrapped a piece of scrim around it when moving.

i use elastic bands to fasten it to the side of my rifle scope when moving, works a treat.

hope this helps,

shmook

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The Bushman, cheers, it truly was amazing. the second time ive done it now.

as for the 'scope, it is a golf/sporting one. extends on a little side bar, X5 magnification. i got it second hand on ebay for £20, but they are on there for £36 delivered.

i just sprayed it green (covered the lenses and removed the prism first!) and wrapped a piece of scrim around it when moving.

i use elastic bands to fasten it to the side of my rifle scope when moving, works a treat.

hope this helps,

shmook

cheers for the info on the periscope got the one you mention of on ebay £36.00 delivered great piece of kit .

I just ordered one that uses coated prisms rather than mirrors. 25 posted. Should arrive next week.

Good Hunting ;)

ace price! mine uses coated prisms too, i thought the golf one i mentioned did also. could you post a link? a couple of guys on my site are interested.

I am also thinking about getting a periscope - funny you guys should mention it!

I'm too short to see over most tall hedges, etc, so it would come in handy.

:lol:

Ben.

you will be surprised how much you do actually use it. they are ace for peeking out of dead ground, around walls etc. common sense really, but if you get one, you think "why didnt i get one of these ages ago?"

Archived