Loose right-hand side safety on Army MEU

tome

Hi,

My Army MEU has the classic ACM pistol problem of a loose safety lever on the right-hand side. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how i might be able to fix it?

Cheers :)

Hi,

My Army MEU has the classic ACM pistol problem of a loose safety lever on the right-hand side. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how i might be able to fix it?

Cheers :)

I've got the same issue on my TM, so I would be interested in any answers you get.

In both real 1911's and airsoft, the ambidextrous thumb safety is joined by means of a tounge and groove. How tightly these two parts mesh together would mean how much slop the lever on the right side would have since its not being held against a plunger/spring. You could shim the contact points using very thin layers of super glue (cyanoacrylate). Just apply a thin film on the inner sides of one part, let dry then sand down for fit. Apply multiple coats if necessary.

edit:

DO NOT attempt to hammer the two prongs of the groove together in an effort to make them tighter. While this may work in theory, both marui and army use cast aluminum/zinc which does not bend but break if you force them to.

I wouldn't suggest the use of superglue for this. It might work or it might gum something up or it might just erode away and leave you with a floppy safety again.

If you have the skill I'd suggest you take the lever that's got the "peg" on it (rather than the lever with the "hole") and giving it a careful tap with a small hammer.

This'll cause the peg to deform slightly, which means it'll be a much tighter fit into the other lever.

This method can work very well if you're careful but, if you screw it up you'll probably ruin the safety catch completely.

TBH, when you first take the safety catch on a hicapa (or similar) to bits you'll probably think the joint between the 2 levers looks so flimsy and weak that you'll cringe every time you operate the right-hand lever afterwards.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Army MEU (dunno about TM) uses a different system to the Hicapas. The way that it works is that there's a small metal rectangle (about 3 x 1mm) which slots into two holes/grooves in the shaft of each side.

I think renegade cow is familiar with the structure from this description. Is there a better way than to fatten up the rectangle with glue and then filing it down? It just seems a bit messy!

Well there's still Stealths suggestion. Allow me to illustrate.

safety.jpg

Tapping that part will cause it to bulge out a little making it fit tighter against the other side. But its not without risk so be careful and fit it repeatedly against the other part after every adjustment. The glue method, while messy, doesn't alter the metal on the parts at all so if anything should eventually give from wear, it would be the glue and so you could always re-shim it later.

good tip actually....I tried it on the Nova stainless parts for my Hi-Capa which suffers from the loose right safety, and works perfect. Before the play was just enough that I can't actually disengage the safety with the right side, but this fixed it...

would that technique work with the MEU safety? the bit that links the two halves of the safety together is just a think peice of metal. I'm worried that if i hit it with a hammer it will bend rather than compress and fatten out.

• 6 months later...

Archived