Liberty re-opened to visitors

Stealthbomber

Congrat's to people in New York who can now take the trip up inside the statue of Liberty to the observation platform built into the crown.

Apparently it was closed after the 9/11 attacks although, at the time, I thought the reason it was closed was because visitors were causing too much wear and tear to the structure.

S'funny, as well, because I've seen the statue (from a long way away) and, although impressive (must have been amazing back when it was a shiny gold colour) I didn't really think it was big enough to have a viewing platform inside the crown.

As it turns out, I think a lot of people might be slightly disappointed with the interior facilities, as seen HERE.

Ah well, nice of them to open it for 4th of July.

Oh you have got to be kidding.

I went to NY and Liberty island 2 years ago and we knew the viewing platform on the crown was closed so we went up to stand around the pedestal and look up inside her (ooerr).

My mother asked why the viewing platform was closed and for the old yanks to save face, the guide said because there was never an original viewing platform in there they wanted to return it to original and how it would have been a few years ago, as in not being able to go up top.

If that makes sense.

I remember watching some program where there was a big deal about whether or not to repaint it once the patina set in. They eventually stuck to it and areas that have been patched have their patina made to match the existing color.

Also remember saying environmentally today sucks so much it would take only 10 years instead of 25 for the same patination to occur to a new Statue of Liberty if it were erected. Despite all that they gold plated the torch, which is still closed i believe even after the head was reopened today.

I thought it was interesting that in one of first groups up today a guy proposed to his girlfriend when they got to the crown.

Archived