King Arms KAC SR16-E3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, it's so firm that I think the only way to get it off would be a firm bashing with a hammer or something. Let me try it again (no hammer of course ;) )

EDIT: Tried it again (with the hammer too; don't worry, rubber mallet ;) ) but to no avail. There's something getting in the way of letting the receiver slide forward. Even with all that force I'm only able to get the receiver to move forward only about 3mm or so. I'm not going to force anything though so I guess it'll have to wait unfortunately :(

I asked the guys from KA if I could get a manual for the AEG, I'm sure they have one.

Edited by 08kecarv

Thanks for the video Vercingtorix. I tried doing what they did in the video and the receivers did come apart but did not separate. Now I have a screwed up bolt catch though and the receiver doesn't want to go back together, I guess i'll be fiddling with it for a few hours now.

EDIT: VICTORY!!! I got it apart!! I'll be snapping some pics. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to put back together (I hope :( ).

Edited by 08kecarv

Here you go guys!!! I got it apart, took some pics and put it all back together. Now I'd like to make this clear again that the model that I have is only a sample model, not the final product. The issues I have in my gun are being forwarded to KA and they are solving them.

I'd say that the Gear system for the selector switch isn't as bad as the VFC (based on what I've heard, I have no firsthand experience with the VFC). It took a little fiddling around but only took about two minutes to get it set just right.

The hardest part about taking down/reassembling this AEG is the mock bolt. There's an extra spring in there for I don't know what (its in the pics down below) that causes the mock bolt to spring up and out of place each and every time. I figured out a way of putting it back in after messing with it for about 20 minutes but that bugger sure is a pain. I can deal with everything else in the gun, even the selector switch but that mock bolt/charging handle was the worst :P Now I'm not saying its impossible to work with but it was my first time in a completely unfamiliar gun (I've never worked with KA before) but it did give me a few head scratching moments.

Sorry about not taking down the GB but its essentially the same as any other KA GB with the addition of the ambi selector gears. I didn't feel like taking apart a perfectly good and brand new GB and ruin it, plus its night time (bad lights, might lose something but I doubt it.)

Two Halves:

001-14.jpg

Mock Bolt Assembly - Weird spring is encircled in red:

002-16-1.jpg

Mock Bolt Assembly - Again that spring:

003-19.jpg

Heres the metal hopup:

014.jpg

Crowning on the end of the barrel:

015-2.jpg

Gearbox - Note the metal tappet plate:

010-7.jpg

Gear system - Looks exactly the same on the other side:

006-12.jpg

Selector Gear - Left:

007-7.jpg

Selector Gear - Right:

008-8.jpg

Bolt Catch system - Left side BC just hooks over to here:

009-12.jpg

Interesting how KA only partially copied VFC's bolt catch design.....

That random spring on the mock bolt is the return spring that pulls the bolt back into place once the bolt release is hit. So it has a purpose. And the crooked right side selector was crooked because of bad sprocket alignment. Nice pics though. I like a review with a lot of close-up high definition pics of the important stuff.

Sorry for the triple post mods :( I have some new info from KA though:

-Everything that i've had issues with (rail covers, grip, stock, mag release, everything) has been addressed and corrected for the final production model.

-According to KA, PMAGS will be somewhat of a tight fit due to them being slightly bigger than standard mags. I found someone with a PMAG though so I should be able to test it myself.

-Price should be somewhere around $400 USD.

-Everything that i've had issues with (rail covers, grip, stock, mag release, everything) has been addressed and corrected for the final production model.

Glad to hear they fixed those issues. Have the fixes been applied to the SR16 ambi receiver kits that they recently released?

-According to KA, PMAGS will be somewhat of a tight fit due to them being slightly bigger than standard mags. I found someone with a PMAG though so I should be able to test it myself.

Do they have a solution for people that use PMAG's? Is there a specific area that they suggest we file inside the magwell to make them work? I'm not going to modify my PMAGs seeing as they work in all my other guns except for my KA guns. Also, being that this receiver uses a very specific gear box, will they be selling additional gear boxes along with the receiver?

Glad to hear they fixed those issues. Have the fixes been applied to the SR16 ambi receiver kits that they recently released?

Do they have a solution for people that use PMAG's? Is there a specific area that they suggest we file inside the magwell to make them work? I'm not going to modify my PMAGs seeing as they work in all my other guns except for my KA guns. Also, being that this receiver uses a very specific gear box, will they be selling additional gear boxes along with the receiver?

I'll ask about the receivers but I'm sure they've addressed it in that too, they're very thorough with those kinds of things.

As far as the specific GB, I was wondering the same thing. I guess another email is in order tonight. I read somewhere (I forget) that said you can make all your PMAGs fit into KA receivers by filing out the back wall of the magwell; the side closest to the trigger.

Im guessing its this little ridge here and where there's wear in the picture I took of my KA SR:

001-15-1.jpg

Edited by 08kecarv
Might be worth a shot. Are the PTS mags and the green label mags the same dimensions?

Not sure.

I went home and filed down the raised ridges at the front and rear of the mag well and it made a HUGE difference. I pretty much completely filed down the front ridge, and slightly filed the rear ridge. That seemed to do the trick. :)

Just noticed something:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff282/08kecarv/005-15.jpg

I wonder why they didn't go with the modified/machined right side selector like on the VFC?

Thats what I was wondering at first. It doesn't seem easily replaceable though. If I can fit the VFC one on here I will.

@Falcon: Thanks! I say if you want the PMAGs to fit try giving the filing a shot.

UPDATE:

I tested the ROF the other day using audacity using a 11.1v 1350 mAh li-ion battery thats not fully charged. ROF came out to just about 19 rps (more like 19.6 but whatevs...). Trigger response is great and the sound of the gearbox running sounds smooth. The report of firing though is uniquely different from my other AEGs and other AEGs i've fired; it has more.... I guess 'bass' to it. Each shot is less of a high pitched snap and more of a loud thump. The motor is noticeably loud though unfortunately, lets hope KA fixed that.

No problem ;)

I'm glad to see that KA is listening to us and addressing issues/grievances with their products before releasing them to the masses.

Still no skirmishing with my SR15 though :( Been working everyday (weekends too) plus with Black Friday coming up, means I won't get to play with it on the field for a little while more :(

Not sure.

I went home and filed down the raised ridges at the front and rear of the mag well and it made a HUGE difference. I pretty much completely filed down the front ridge, and slightly filed the rear ridge. That seemed to do the trick. :)

All you have to do it file down the rear one :P or thats all I had to do. The mag doesnt just fall out, but it takes almost no force to pluck it out.