Real Steel SUSAT's

Handsome Pete

I wouldnt say it would be illegel for you to buy one from ebay or something but the person who is selling it is brakeing some army law thing which if they get caught will get court marsheld and sent to minitary prison some ###### like that!

(Asked my friend who was in the RAf if he could get me one and thats what he told me)

If you google it, there are a few sites who sell deactivated weapons and such who have SUSATs in stock. Usually old gear legitimately disposed of. Ebay will be more of a minefield, and as the guys above say, there is always a chance they are nicked.

The tritium capsule inside a SUSAT has a lifespan of around 10 years.

Once it's depleted they do get sold off legally.

FWIW, as well as the legal implications of buying a stolen one, you can also be conned in other ways too.

It's pretty common for sellers to buy up SUSATs (and other tritium-illuminated scopes, I imagine) with depleted cells and then try and zap them with high intensity UV/IR light for a couple of days.

This'll "charge up" the tritium cell and it'll glow for a couple of weeks.

Dodgy sellers will charge up depleted cells and then sell the item as "fully functional" for double or treble the cost of a genuine surplus item.

Also, SUSATs tend to have the living sh*t kicked out of them in use.

A genuine surplus one will almost certainly look like it's been dragged across afghanistan behind a landrover.

If you see a shiny new looking one there needs to be a very good explanation for why it still looks new.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine got hold of one cheap (around £150) after it had been officially "disposed" of by the Army, but in general they seem to go for £700 to £1000.

I've only ever seen a couple show up on eBay.

The tritium source can be replaced, but only by an armourer. And 'depleted' sources can be reused for 18/ 24 months by taking off the White paint on the source. If you find one on eBay it will most probably be a nicked one that was "lost in theatre"

I see SUIT (Sight Unit, Infantry, Trilux) sights being sold all the time on GunBroker, mainly in the US. It's the sight that came before SUSAT, designed for the SLR.

There's an article somewhere on FALFiles.com about how to replace the Tritium with a fiber optic light, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Just an extra point, if you do decide to buy a real one, make sure you get all the official paperwork like the disposal papers and inspection records. If you can't get them from the seller then leave it well alone because it will most probably be nicked/ MoD plod will be looking for it

• 2 weeks later...

Anything more that 700 quid, you should consider getting a brand new one.

Very few people are aware of the fact that it is possible to buy a brand new one, so of course the few that do appear "second-hand" skyrocket in price rather rapidly.

Archived