Flash Lights. Wot am bestest.

greg

Recently picked up a cheap cree torch off ebay, 1 beacasue it was cheap and 2 because after seeing videos of the mall in reading i think i may well need one when we go down there in may Just out of interest, where are you lot sourcing your recharable 123a's from?

I have found the disposibles for £0.99 on component-shop, but the only rechargables I have found including a charging dock are from HK. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Just got a ThruNite Cree XP-G R5 LED in the mail. Supposedly 300 lumens. Ordered it from QualityFlashlight.co.uk on tuesday, so real fast delivery. Put it in my G3 and it works great. In another thread there was some talk and uncertainty about putting the led bulb in the nitrolon body and I wanted to adress that. I don't think there's going to be a heat issue because it atleast feels like the more powerful led bulb is actually cooler than the original xenon one.

Also greg, I complained to the people who sold me my G3 and they've just send me some fresh batteries :)

1, In another thread there was some talk and uncertainty about putting the led bulb in the nitrolon body and I wanted to adress that.

2, Also greg, I complained to the people who sold me my G3 and they've just send me some fresh batteries :)

1, I have exactly the same module in my G2. When i first got it, I turned it on & left it for one hour. No probs. ;)

2, Good.

Greg.

Isn't there a larger heat issue in Xenon's compared to LED's? I noticed that the older G2/6P's I had were a lot hotter than the 6P LED I have now.

Well, yes & no.

Sure the Xenons get hotter than an led.

However, that is not the issue. A zenon & incandescent can take all the heat it generates, being made 'heat proof' by design.

The problem with led's is that they are capable of handling more power & generating more heat than they, alone, can actually handle. Compared to a zenon, this is cool but enough, to damage or shorten the life of the led.

This is why high output led specific torch designs, have such elaborate heat sinks. Decent quality drop ins come with large copper radiators.

It's also why the cheaper drop ins often fail, burning out relatively quickly at relatively low temperatures.

Greg.

For my needs my favorite flashlight is hands down the Surefire V2 Vampire light. If you never use night vision gear than there are other lights that would provide a better value for the money, but for NV users this torch is the only one you'll ever need and is priced very reasonably.

It's a combination visible white LED flashlight and IR LED illuminator with a high and low setting for each. The low setting on the visible light mode provides 10 lumens for map reading and navigation without giving away your position and the high setting provides 100 lumens for more direct action uses. The IR mode for night vision use provides 6 lumens on the low setting for stealthy navigation and 95 on the high setting for long range spotting.

The visible white light has a great balance of throw and spill effectively lighting out to a few hundred yards on the high setting and the IR illuminator on high is miles and miles ahead of the Surefire M1. Its a great spotlight and effective out to 300 yards, which beats the pants off the M1's 100 feet effective range.

I really like the mode activation layout too. Twist the bezel for visible light or IR light, push the tailcap button in a little way for momentary on using the low setting or push it in all the way for momentary on using the high setting in either visible or IR mode. And for constant on you can twist the tailcap a little bit to get constant on using the low setting, twist it all the way to get constant on using the high setting in either visible or IR mode.

Best of all it's light weight, compact, has very good battery life, and can be rail mounted with any standard 1" mount. 4 lights in one simple package :D

In short, Surefire V2 = :wub:

I've just noticed that Fenix are now offering the TK 11 & TK12, with an R5 led.

This gets you a quality light offering nearly 300 lums for under £70.

R5 performance is pretty close to that of the sst50, at this level of power. I can't tell the difference between the thrunight R5 drop in & the sst 50'd, olight M21, at £90.

I suspect the new fenix's will be the same. In my book, this makes them an incredibly attractive option. Especially for weapon mounting, as the fenix remote pressure switch is less than £20.

Greg.

• 5 months later...

My torch am bestest :D

The lights in the room are on here, I had to adjust the exposure to see things

35695_442789515578_545940578_5916006_7838683_n.jpg

What it looks like

35695_442789520578_545940578_5916007_465095_n.jpg

It's made from a cheap spotlight, a 55w HID bulb and a 17Ah 12v SLA battery, gives me about 4 hours runtime and around 800m of illumination. It's 7000 lumens aprox. And cost me £30 as I already had the torch body and the battery. Would've been about £85 to build if I didn't have the bits.

Archived