Flash Lights. Wot am bestest.

greg

Hello.

It seems Torches comes up on Arnies just about every month.

Currently, led technology is moving very fast & this means power levels & features are changing equally quickly.

I was hoping this topic would attract & bring attention to what is going on, helping folk to find the latest & best light for them.

Please don't show your ignorance with a typically dumb 'Surefire am bestest' post. If you know of, or can recommend a decent light, bring it up.

My current fave is the Zebra light SC30, google for details. It's a great example of what 'new' tech has to offer.

The olight M21 has to be top of the pack for 6p enthusiasts, boasting features that surefire fans can only dream of. A great vfm price tag & relatively cheap remote pressure switch.

Although it's been out for a while, very little comes close to a Streamlight TLR1 C4.

As said, things change, so what's hot now, will be out of date fast. I'm trying to keep up but will appreciate any assistance.

So, knock yourself out. All intelligent suggestions are welcome, even surefire. :D

You never know, if succesful, the mods may see fit to make it sticky.

Greg.

I have one of the element m600 surefire replicas. It's fantastic! Nicely made, plenty bright enough, comes with pressure pad and normal on/off button. A fair few people seem to use them and for just over £25 delivered they are a bargain! So i have read they are brighter than the standard surefire m600!

No doubt there are better lights out there but for the money it's a lovely bit of kit!

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Mar 11 2010, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one of the element m600 surefire replicas. It's fantastic! Nicely made, plenty bright enough, comes with pressure pad and normal on/off button. A fair few people seem to use them and for just over £25 delivered they are a bargain! So i have read they are brighter than the standard surefire m600!

No doubt there are better lights out there but for the money it's a lovely bit of kit!

I never new they were that cheap.

Got a link?

Greg.

I used to have a little King Arms M3 for slapping on pistols. Worked lovely with it's cheap little Xenon bulb on 6v. Then I mistakenly loaded it with 7.4vs and blew it up. :(

So in went a Classic Army 9v Xenon bulb. Which was ok, a little brighter than the old 6v bulb, but not as quick to power up and a bit too floody for my liking, and gosh, did it eat batteries quick.

So off I sent to Hong Kong for a CREE LED for it.

And now I have one here. A quick test with nearly empty batteries shows that it is immensely better. Brighter, faster and less diffused. Best £15 I've ever spent.

Please don't show your ignorance with a typically dumb 'Surefire am bestest' post. If you know of, or can recommend a decent light, bring it up.

My surefire m95 weapons light with gregs thrunite drop in ;):P

Although it's been out for a while, very little comes close to a Streamlight TLR1 C4.

My Streamlight TLR1 C4S :D

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Mar 11 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one of the element m600 Surefire replicas. It's fantastic! Nicely made, plenty bright enough, comes with pressure pad and normal on/off button. A fair few people seem to use them and for just over £25 delivered they are a bargain! So i have read they are brighter than the standard Surefire m600!

They are not brighter than the original! I did a side by side comparison only 2 weeks ago and the original surefire M600C is brighter and has a better focus of the light with less distortion than the Element knock off. Material and finish wise, it is extremely difficult to tell the two torches apart and the quality of the knock off will for the vast majority of airsofters be a significantly better buy than the original, as the difference is only marginal (note here that I have not taken the two torches apart and compared the internal quality). So the Element M600 is indeed a grate bang for the buck, however I'll stick with the original as is it covered by warranty and I for one feel more confident with original parts (obviously I didn't pay full price for torch).

For a pistol I would opt for the Streamlight TLR1 or TLR2 depending on local legislation. Small compact and light torch with a grate performance. I have had mine for some 3 years now and it is still going strong. It is close to indestructible and accepts accessories like remote switches that even makes is suitable for SMG and rifle lengths weapons.

The bigger Surefire M951 torch is close to obsolete. But the classic P60 light assembly still has the advantage over the LED as it is possible to put an IR filter in front of it for use with NVGs. But it is a robust torch with a lot of weight to it and with relatively low brightness and a short runtime on a set of batteries, I have converted it to a dedicated IR torch and installed a 5W IR LED bulb assembly for night time skirmishing.

They are not brighter than the original! I did a side by side comparison only 2 weeks ago and the original surefire M600C is brighter and has a better focus of the light with less distortion than the Element knock off. Material and finish wise, it is extremely difficult to tell the two torches apart and the quality of the knock off will for the vast majority of airsofters be a significantly better buy than the original, as the difference is only marginal (note here that I have not taken the two torches apart and compared the internal quality). So the Element M600 is indeed a grate bang for the buck, however I'll stick with the original as is it covered by warranty and I for one feel more confident with original parts (obviously I didn't pay full price for torch).

For a pistol I would opt for the Streamlight TLR1 or TLR2 depending on local legislation. Small compact and light torch with a grate performance. I have had mine for some 3 years now and it is still going strong. It is close to indestructible and accepts accessories like remote switches that even makes is suitable for SMG and rifle lengths weapons.

The bigger Surefire M951 torch is close to obsolete. But the classic P60 light assembly still has the advantage over the LED as it is possible to put an IR filter in front of it for use with NVGs. But it is a robust torch with a lot of weight to it and with relatively low brightness and a short runtime on a set of batteries, I have converted it to a dedicated IR torch and installed a 5W IR LED bulb assembly for night time skirmishing.

I heard different but if you've done a side by side then thats the best way to tell! Has your genuine surefire got the standard bulb etc?

For me the element is best as i don't use torches all that often so £300+ would be a waste :)

I have an old Surefire G2. Popular model that. But it only has a burn time of 1 hour, and mine literally burnt out as in the bulb blew. I managed to get a china made replacement lamp assembly which wasn't too bright and eventually stopped using it due to the fact that a friend of mine fried my rechargeable 123a's. Fast forward to present, rechargeables are cheap and plentiful, so are the replacement P6 bulbs. I got a CREE Q5 LED from ebay at $13 shipped and a set of rechargeables and it's GREAT! Not exactly 270 lumens as advertised, although it does say operating voltage 3-10V, but it's doing loads better than a G2L. My guess is it's doing 160 lumens. Basically, if you already have an old Surefire but you need a reliable, economical torch, just upgrade it.

Basically, if you already have an old Surefire but you need a reliable, economical torch, just upgrade it.

Totaly agree.

As Crimson points out, the best I've found, is the comparatively expensive 'Thrunite' P60/61 replacement drop in.

It's exclusively available at qualityflashlights.co.uk for £25.

This seems expensive but it exceeds its spec in all areas. It quotes 300 lumens & holding it against a reliably specked 500 lumer, I can barely see a difference.

I ran it, non stop, for over an hour in a G2. There was no noticeable heat build up & the batteries showed no sign of running out.

As eel correctly points out, like most leds, this unit gives very little, if any, IR light.

Hold onto your old incandescent lamp units, if you want to filter them & use them as IR illuminators.

Greg.

QUOTE (hugh_b @ Mar 11 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard different but if you've done a side by side then thats the best way to tell! Has your genuine surefire got the standard bulb etc?

For me the element is best as i don't use torches all that often so £300+ would be a waste :)

Both the Surefire and the Element torches was fresh out of the package and both with fresh batteries so they where as delivered from factory.

And I would never pay 300£ for a Surefire torch. But when I could get it for only 100£, I much prefer the original over a knock off any day. I can justify buying the original at 4x the price of the clone, but not at 12x the price considering the performance of the Element version.

I'll see if I can organize some photos for comparison.

All in all, I recommend the Element knock off. It is a really strong choice for a weapon mounted torch.

At the moment, I find it hard to justify buying a light, what ever the price. Things are changing so fast, it will be surpassed in under 6 months.

The concept of spending £25 as opposed to £26 (let alone £100 or £300) is appealing, as no matter the cost, a 'better' one will be available shortly.

Current Surefires, like the scout, are sealed units. This precludes replacing the lamp assembly, with a cheap upgrade. It amazes me that Surefire aren't understanding this & making it easier to change the lamp unit. They manufacture a good quality body. One which you pay dearly for. I think this would be easier to justify (& generate more sales), if you knew you could simply upgrade the lamp, to the latest wizz bang option.

They are also missing an easy trick: By enlarging the internal diameter of their battery tubes, their lights (like others) could be run on 123a's or, the far superior 18650 rechargeable. :rolleyes:

Greg.

How does the Surefire X300 compare to the Streamlight TLR1 C4 during pistol use? I personally don't have either of them but i need a pistol light for a new pistol project.

I have read reports that some people like the x300 more because of it's push forward momentary switch. The Streamlight Procyon is also a popular option with the real steel community too.

How does the Surefire X300 compare to the Streamlight TLR1 C4 during pistol use? I personally don't have either of them but i need a pistol light for a new pistol project.

I have read reports that some people like the x300 more because of it's push forward momentary switch. The Streamlight Procyon is also a popular option with the real steel community too.

I have used both.

The switch is a matter of personal opinion.

Both are very well made. IMO, the light from the Streamlight is better. It is only marginally brighter but has a broader 'tint'. The Surefire is a fairy 'cool' white, where as the Stream light, seems to sort of show different colour tints. This allows it to show as brighter in more circumstances.

Personally, if you can live with the switch, I'd go for the Streamlight. It's way cheaper. Makes sure you get the latest 'C4' version, as there are still a few of the orriginal ones floating around.

The TLR C4 has been around for a while. With led tech moving fast, it is amazing that it still holds it's own. Don't be put off by streamlights conservative lumen figures. As said, it's brighter than the sure fire & at least as bright as most lights claiming 250 lumens. More importantly, the tint & focus make the light penetrate & illuminate where others fail.

I had the option to have both at the same price & chose the TLR over the surefire for the above reasons, not the price. ;)

I have used it on a pistol & it is good but I prefer using a handheld in conjunction with pistols. It is good enough to use as a rifle light, which is what I do. The remote pressure switch is good & reasonably priced. The side by side battery configuration makes it extremely compact & perfect for use on guns like an MP7. In this case, the pressure switch is unnecessary, as you can operate the rocker with your thumb, from the front grip.

Greg.

I thought this would be an appropriate post for this thread...

Is there a pressure pad or "pig-tail" that can be used with the Surefire G2? I've heard that pads designed for the 6P will work for the G2, but I haven't seem any firm confirmation on this.

Has anyone made a cheap, but decent copy of the Surefire 951 or something similar? I'm interested in a light with integrated mount and pressure pad rather than a tactical flashlight bunged onto a mount.

Is there a pressure pad or "pig-tail" that can be used with the Surefire G2? I've heard that pads designed for the 6P will work for the G2, but I haven't seem any firm confirmation on this.

I'll have an answer for you some time next week. I've got a G3 coming in the mail and a remote pressure switch for a 6P.

Chuffed to bits with the R2 lamp I fitted to my Surefire G2, its astonishing when you use it in Drakelow tunnels.

The tiny little CREE Ultrafire is good as well. 300 Lumens for the R2 and 240 or so for the Ultrafire.

Lots of bargains to be had and for airsoft these are silly bright and more than enough for me. :D

At the risk of derailing this thread I think it's appropriate to say that buying a CREE XR-E R2 (or equivalent) based flashlight of good quality is still a sound investment. I've had my CREE XR-E Q5 (inferior to the R bin for the uninitiated) drop-in for well over a year now and while some flashlights have overtaken it in output the amount of light it generates when mounted in my VLI, running only 6v of a possible 11.1v, is plenty enough for practically anything. If you want to light up the side of a two story house at 30 meters at Sennybridge at 1 am?...... My VLI was doing it about a year ago :)

You guys should be grateful this thread wasn't started about 2-3 years ago haha! In the era of the legendary Luxeon III followed by flawed Luxeon V and the first generation of CREE XR-E and the subsequent Seoul SSC -P4, the latter two of which showed Lumiled that they were falling behind fast! The rate of change now compared to then is slow enough that I lost interested in LED for a while hehe.

Surprised that no one has mentioned www.dealextreme.com.

Couple that with some independent research on candlepowerforums.com and you'll have enough knowledge to put together a Cree-based, 200+ lumen, 5 mode torch with strobe for under $40.00 US including shipping.

My Surefire G3 just arrived, and I have this remote pressure switch meant for the 6P. It fits and works fine.

By the way, my G3 arrived with empty batteries. The packaging says 'lithium batteries included'. Do you guys think I should complain to Surefire? The batteries have a best before date of 06-2019. Because of this, it seems to me that it was packaged while it was on. Or someone turned it on while it was still inside the packaging, but it's a sturdy blister pack so I don't see how that could be.

Surprised that no one has mentioned www.dealextreme.com.

Couple that with some independent research on candlepowerforums.com and you'll have enough knowledge to put together a Cree-based, 200+ lumen, 5 mode torch with strobe for under $40.00 US including shipping.

I'm yet to find any 5 mode drivers on dealextreme with a UI that's useful in a tactical flashlight :P It's kind of annoying if your flashlight changes mode everytime you touch the switch. If anything the best thing that Candlepower can do for you is to help you find a decent surefire clone or a good "bang for buck" donor body for a decent p60 drop-in if you're in the market for high end light quality and intensity.

edit - acutally it's hard even to find a single mode driver to drive the more powerful P7 / MC-E leds :'( Try..... you'll see what i mean.

By the way, my G3 arrived with empty batteries. The packaging says 'lithium batteries included'. Do you guys think I should complain to Surefire? The batteries have a best before date of 06-2019. Because of this, it seems to me that it was packaged while it was on. Or someone turned it on while it was still inside the packaging, but it's a sturdy blister pack so I don't see how that could be.

Yes, you should complain to surefire. Or the supplier or who ever.

You have paid well over the odds for a supposedly top notch bit of kit. If the surefire fans are to be believed, it is worth every penny & then some.

The least you can expect is that when they say batteries included, they don't mean empty ones.

If it was some dodgy dealextreamer at $10 you would be a bit hacked off. So, for a surefire supplier to muck this up, you want to make some noise.

Greg.

Archived