I'm going to California tomorrow!

tom lawson

Hey all,

I'm off to Cali tomorrow on a two week skydiving holiday (I know, its a hard life) and I was wondering if there's anything worth doing (ie taking a day trip) around there? I'll be at Perris, which about an hour out of LA.

I'm not sure how easy it'll be to take trips away from the drop zone (I'm with 109 other students and I'm not one of the designated drivers) but we'll probably go to Vegas.

It'd be cool to say hi if anyone is around.

Regards,

Tom

The better gun range in LV is the one on Blue Diamond Road. There's another one north LV that I couldn't find. Don't go to the one out west from the MGM grand. There might be some really shonky ghetto stuff out in the desert where you can shoot anything. Had too much fun doing other stuff in Vegas to go looking for it.

The Los Angeles Gun Club is excellent. It's way down in downtown and there's no assault rifles, but there's a huge selection of pistols, good shotties and some old stuff, including an M1. BOOOOOM. It's very ghetto too. and cheap, with no "tourist load" ammo like you'll get in LV.

Six Flags is worth it, if you like rollercoasters :)

what kinda thing do you want to do?

Hey all,

I'm off to Cali tomorrow on a two week skydiving holiday (I know, its a hard life) and I was wondering if there's anything worth doing (ie taking a day trip) around there? I'll be at Perris, which about an hour out of LA.

I'm not sure how easy it'll be to take trips away from the drop zone (I'm with 109 other students and I'm not one of the designated drivers) but we'll probably go to Vegas.

It'd be cool to say hi if anyone is around.

Regards,

Tom

No offense but you ain't exactly a forward planner are you? I mean, 'I'm going tomorrow, any ideas?'. Perhaps, 'I'm going next week etc.' might have been better? :huh:

You're either showing off, or going to forget to pull in time. :D

I've never been to LA, so can't recommend any 'fun' there but I've done a lot of jumps in mexi & Virgina. I did my Halo training out of Arizona (that's as near to Perris/Cali I've been) but no recreational jumps. Did a day's jumping in PARIS a few years back, does that count? :D As with anywhere, I find the focus is on skydiving, the surrounding area & the entertainment it provides are very secondary.

Seriously, you probably won't see this 'till you get back, so I hope you had a great time, with the sort of clear sky, you were expecting. 'Tis way better than waiting for a break in the weather back here in the UK. ;)

Greg.

It really depends on what you want to do.

Surf, Ski, drink, eat, be touristy, be local-y, etc...

Hit up Abbot Kinney street in Venice, you can walk that to main street then up main street into Santa Monica. Good food and drinks along the way.

James Beach in Venice is really good for food and fish tacos.

Santa Monica has great cafe's along the beach and along main street there is some good people watching and drinking during day as well as night.

San Gabriel Valley has great chinese food.

In Hollywood the Geisha House has decently priced sushi and good people watching. Saddle Ranch Chop House in West Hollywood on the strip has good steak and good people watching. If you can get to west hollywood during the day check out Primo Cafe on Sunset Blvd, they have great italian inspired food, coffee and in a nice location.

You can go to downtown LA, go to the Standard Hotel's rooftop bar; go to The Edison near City Hall's basement bar. Eat our world famous bacon wrapped hotdogs.

And you should definitely try to hit up one of the better taco trucks.

El Tepayec in Boyle Heights has some amazing mexican food.

If nothing else, you need to go to King Taco.

Those are all very solid recommendations. I'd add the Griffith Observatory, the Getty Museum, and even if I tell you not to go, you'll probably want to check out Hollywood & Highland. Good for a very brief amusement, I suppose.

If you're looking for something a little more off the beaten track, you can't do better than the Museum of Jurassic Technology. A Sunday morning there and then an afternoon up at Point Dume is about the most relaxing day you can imagine. There's a great little Thai place off the Pacific Coast Highway on the way up in Malibu, as well.

There's an excellent frozen yogurt shop on N Crescent and Beverly. Absolutely beautiful :)

See, that's the sort of advice that most of these fools will ignore. But we know better. :D I doubt I'll ever find myself in that area but if I do, I guarantee I'll seek that shop out. ;)

Greg.

The best fro-yo is on Westwood and Olympic: The Big Chill.

But on Beverly Blvd is an amazing breakfast cafe called Kings Road Cafe 8361 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048. Great breakfast and coffee.

But everything good is about 1.5 hours away from Perris, Ca. Perris is actually a lot closer to Orange County, an area that I try to spend as little time as possible in. There's only 2 good things in Orange County, Oakley and Surefire. The rest of OC can die a slow painful death.

But everything good is about 1.5 hours away from Perris, Ca. Perris is actually a lot closer to Orange County, an area that I try to spend as little time as possible in. There's only 2 good things in Orange County, Oakley and Surefire. The rest of OC can die a slow painful death.

Didn't you hear? Its the OC, not OC :P

Archived