Great Movie Mistakes

mattmanic

Was watching the Borne Identity last night. The scene where Borne is at the top of the stair and there's a guy with a submachine gun below him. After the gunman empties his magazine up the flight of stairs, he reloads and as he puts the new mag in you hear a generic cocking noise. Then Borne changes his mag and proceeds to fall down the center of the flight of stairs holding onto a dead guy and as he goes past the person with the smg you hear the same generic noise even though it had just been cocked. Borne manages to fire 1 shot, killing him. Then when Borne lands after firing 1 bullet from his fresh mag, he reloads again, just for fun.

I V+ed it and I have been watching it in bits.

There have been a couple in there so far that haven't been continuity errors at all.

I like mistakes but they are doing stupid ones on this.

Plus they missed my favorite from The Empire Strikes Back where Luke is fighting Vader in the carbonite chamber and knocks him off, he jumps from the platform.

You can just about hear a faint *boing* and Luke's head re-appears in the bottom left hand corner of the shot.

Bloody trampolines.

There's a classic trampoline moment in Robocop, where the councilman with the civilian Uzi gets punched out of the window by Robo. It cuts to a news report and you see in the DVE box in the report, the legs of the stuntman bounce back up into shot.

I'd be very surprised if there really was a boing sound in Empire like that any more - if it was in the original mix, Lucas will have nicked it out by now - we don't really leave in extraneous set noises in dialogue stems these days! If I was a mischevious editor though, i'd possibly put a boing back IN for that moment - the trooper in ep4 did, after all, have a sound effect for his head knock, and the trooper who tells him to stay behind seems to know that this lad's a bit of a chump.

Bad gun fx are legion in movies. A cocking noise is movie shorthand for "alert!" or to intimidate someone, so for example. gangs of people like in Lost who are all carrying rifles, would be carrying them charged - yet whenever danger lurks, they all re-cock, thus flushing the chamber. Madness. In the trailer for the rubbish "Righteous Kill" you hear a hammer being cocked in the dark, then a Glock is revealed as the gun being pointed. Duh. But there's millions of these kind of things.

Not really a mistake, but I love this one from BTTF III:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWzJyrqii4#809189D2-7517-4af1-BAF0-1A36C3BB8640&numResults=50&command=%20m_objCurrentDocument.getElementById(%27veohrecs_fr%27).style.height%20%3D%20%27107px%27%3B%20m_objCurrentDocument.getElementById(%27Veoh_SpaceDiv%27).style.height%20%3D%20%2712px%27%3B%20m_objCurrentDocument.getElementById(%27VeohCompass.LoadingDiv%27).style.height%20%3D%20%270px%27%3B%20m_objCurrentDocument.getElementById(%27VeohCompass.LoadingDiv%27).style.display%20%3D%20%27none%27%3B

I'd be very surprised if there really was a boing sound in Empire like that any more - if it was in the original mix, Lucas will have nicked it out by now - we don't really leave in extraneous set noises in dialogue stems these days! If I was a mischevious editor though, i'd possibly put a boing back IN for that moment...

It was still there in the 20th anniversary platinum edition widescreen VHS.

I don't imagine it is still there.

I love when Luke gets out of the X-Wing after destroying the Death Star and sees Leia and shouts "Carrie".

Classic.

Ohh..

Couldn't see the clip becuse the firewall at work dosn't like youtube.

But movie misstakes and such are fun. And I have a ton of them as I tend to watch the same movie alot of times.

A version of the "boing" from the trampoling is in Starship Troopers during the fotballish sports match were you can acctuly se Rico (I think his name is) running upp the ramp when he does his flip thing to score.

The car lights in the bakground in the Lord of the rings, and the sticker on the apple.

(Not mentioning Frodo Crying backvards since it's not realy a "misstake")

The gastubes in the chariot in The Gladiator.

In the first resident evil movie, when Oliveria jumps out of the helicopter, in the external shoot from the side, you acctully see him start to turn to land on his the safty mat (or the stund dubble turn)

Another fun thing are the easter eggs, that espacially George Lucas likes.

For exampel Jango Fet bumping his head in the door in episode 2 in the same way as the stormtrooper in episode 4.

But the best is that one of the astriods that Obi-wan chaces Jango Fet throu is acctully on of the animals from naboo that Anakin rides on.

Another good one from the matrix only an airsofter would spot;

First film, moment where Smith finally 'kills' Neo - He shoots him 10 times in the chest with a .50 Desert Eagle - Maximum capacity of 8 rounds (no extended magazine visible or anything). So, you could say Smith has the power over the matrix to have effectively infinite ammo by re-writing the programme so his gun never runs empty.

So if that's the case, why does he end up pointing an empty gun at Neo in the earlier fight scene in the subway station?

The matrix is stuffed full of them.

Like the 5.56mm brass pouring out of his scorpions, the guns at his feet disappearing and then reappearing while he dodged the bullets by leaning back.

In the second one Morpheus blows up a car with 9mm pistol ammo, not going to happen.

Not when the twins have just spent hours pumping .45 into his car.

Like you said, only airsofters.

Another good one from the matrix only an airsofter would spot;

First film, moment where Smith finally 'kills' Neo - He shoots him 10 times in the chest with a .50 Desert Eagle - Maximum capacity of 8 rounds (no extended magazine visible or anything). So, you could say Smith has the power over the matrix to have effectively infinite ammo by re-writing the programme so his gun never runs empty.

So if that's the case, why does he end up pointing an empty gun at Neo in the earlier fight scene in the subway station?

well... you see an agent reloading in the carchase scen in the second movie... but then again it's not smith...

Exactly... half the time they blatantly have infinite ammo (I swear the 2 ghost blokes fired about 80 rounds out of a UMP in one burst, as well as several agents firing 10+ rounds from DE's), and half the time they're reloading...

CONTINUITY DAMNIT. ><

First film, moment where Smith finally 'kills' Neo - He shoots him 10 times in the chest with a .50 Desert Eagle -

Its 14, not 10. But the same 3 shots are repeated over and over (for dramatic effect)

Also from the first matrix film neo vs smith in the underground station. They each fire three or four rounds and then imediatly run empty... M92, 15+1 DE 7+1... and yet, they run out together.

From another 'softers film, Max Payne, anybody notice the Taurus Judge Max uses to open the toilet doors. He manages to get 6 shots from a 5 shot revolver.

Regardless of all this, movie producers, editors and often scriptwrighters dont know and don't care about what a real gun is capable of, its a little thing called the "rule of cool" :P.

There's another good one in Commando - Arnie is blasting away with an M60, and the chain of rounds gradually reaches his wrist. He turns around, and hey presto, the chain of rounds is back down to his feet!

Still, as you say, if every film stuck religiously to RS capability, they'd be pretty boring..

Another quite funny one i just remembered.

In Mr and Mrs smith vairious guns jam or otherwise can't shoot, but post production still keeps up the muzzle flashes. The best moment is when one of Jolies pistols runs empty, locks the slide back and... she drops the slide and keeps on going !!!

Archived