ATF decision on GBB M4s

suicidalsnowman

I just spotted this,

http://noairsoftforoldmen.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-official-gbb-m-4s-are-firearms-per.html

Which links to an ATF decision here.

The ATF says that they have actually been able to make the lower receivers fire live rounds with the use of real uppers.

Is there anyone from the US who can clarify the impact and jurisdiction of this decision?

I just spotted this,

http://noairsoftforoldmen.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-official-gbb-m-4s-are-firearms-per.html

Which links to an ATF decision here.

The ATF says that they have actually been able to make the lower receivers fire live rounds with the use of real uppers.

Is there anyone from the US who can clarify the impact and jurisdiction of this decision?

I can get a plumbing pipe, a cartrige, a nail and a hammer and get it to fire. Seems ATF have far too much time on their hands. Can you imagine how many real firearms are slipping through while those ATF muppets play with toys?

If I was a tax payer in the US I'd be asking for a refund and channel the cash into a law enforcement agency who are a little more focussed on the real threats.

Is it just me or dose anyone else think its scary that they call a m16 a machine gun. If they can't discern the difference between a select fire assault rifle from a belt fed weapon designed to sustain a high ROF for an extended period. That make them seem real competent right?

Is it just me or dose anyone else think its scary that they call a m16 a machine gun. If they can't discern the difference between a select fire assault rifle from a belt fed weapon designed to sustain a high ROF for an extended period. That make them seem real competent right?

See, the problem is you're carrying over your airsofting love of guns into areas where it doesn't belong. Automatic weapons are all called machine guns under the law, to distinguish them from shotguns, handguns, non-automatic rifles, etc. So in this case, the ATF knows exactly what they're talking about

Hey man airsoft isn't effecting my opinion on this at all. I'm just saying a governing body with the power and ability to effect so much they could at least do more than just generalize some firearms as a machine gun. We know good and well that theres technical a difference. A agency that controls firearms should acknowledge it too. If they are gonna be this thorough about trying to control a airsoft gun that takes more work than its worth to "convert" they should be consistent with that effort.

I've always thought this was how it was.

assault rifle

–noun

1. a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.

2. a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usu. modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.

machine gun

–noun

a small arm operated by a mechanism, able to deliver a rapid and continuous fire of bullets as long as the trigger is pressed.

But i guess thats just what the ATF calls them. I'm not trying to start an argument on this but i can't stand to see them manipulate people options with broadly categorizing things to make them seem like something else. I just think Theres kinda a certain stigma around the word machine gun.

No, its what they are legally categorized as. Since it is a mechanical operation beyond "pull trigger, fire bullet" it is a machine gun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

They really are being consistent, that is what they are called under the law, and it is the law that the ATF is concerned about. The law is far more concerned with whether or not a weapon can fire in full auto than whether it is a submachine gun, machine pistol, assault rifle, etc. since for their purposes, it doesn't really matter

Archived