Exploding bb's

AirsoftBuyer1234

I was just flicking through some airsoft sites, looking for a new hop up unit, and I came across these. Couldn't resist, so bought some. And oh my god they are amazing. If you shoot them against a hard surface, they burst into about 20 flaming fragments, but won't set fire to anything else, which is great. Unfortunately can't use against other people, but for messing around they're great. And if you decide to shoot at something in the distance, there's no longer any question of "did I hit it?". You either see an explosion or you don't

http://www.airsoftworld.net/bb-s-and-other-consumables/bb-s-and-ammo/6mm-exploding-bb-s-91-bb-s.html

Yeah you want to be careful with these, as it says on the product page: "PLEASE NOTE: THESE BB'S SHOULD NOT BE FIRED IN PRECISION BARRELS AS THEY MAY JAM INSIDE AND DAMAGE YOUR GUN". Fine for putting in some cheapo gun but like those paintball BBs I wouldn't put them through a high quality AEG or gas gun.

These are similar to "thundercap BBs" which we used to be able to get many years ago and are often used in films etc.

They are great for doing some film clips etc but cannot stress enough how these should not be fired at anything living !

Also don't use ramrod loaders when loading your mags ;)

To answer the stoppage issues - I've now fired about 50 of these through a TM M92F GBB, without any stoppages, barrel explosions etc. While I'm never going to be able to do a proper reliability test due to the cost, they do seem to be working fine. They're also cold burn sparks, so shouldn't damage the barrel even if they explode inside. One concern is the hop up rubber which might melt but that's unlikely.

Not saying to try this but if you put a small nail through the gaps in your flash hider so the the exit is blocked by the shaft of the nail you get muzzle flash ;)

Not saying to try because you know I will anyway... off to give this a go now... if I don't post back assume it went horribly wrong =D

Not saying to try this but I've heard jumping off a high cliff is beneficial to your health.....

Actually made me lol =D

Tried out the exploding bbs, with a bit of wire at the end of the barrel so they explode there - they don't work too well in pistols, as the shards go back into the barrel and you have to clean it out every few shots, but it works great on AEGs, as the tip of the flash hider is far enough from the barrel that the shards don't re-enter.

I don't think they're at all dangerous, except if they went into the eye, so like a normal airsoft gun. The problem is more that the shards are small enough to get under safety glasses, so in the interests of safety it's not advisable to shoot each other, but it's not going to pave the way for a ban either (I hope)

GOOD GOD NO!

The fact they come attached to one another (like some sort of Airfix set) means that when you break a BB of the rest (like in the video) it leaves a bit of 'flash' (excess plastic used to attach them to one another) on the BB. You can even clearly see bits of flash on the separate BBs in the video. That will easily jam/ruin in the gearbox/barrel.

Archived