Magpul PTS ACR: Remington ACR SBR Build

Noveske

Since I went through a lot of grief on this one, I consider it a project and will post it here.

-Masada Front flip-BUIS removed and replaced with rail (and MBUS)

-Shortened barrel to 10.5" with gasblock tucked into RIS

-Bushmaster ACR RIS

-PTS trademarks removed

-Upper receiver sprayed coyote brown (not a perfect match, but oh well!)

-Shell deflector sprayed black

Will be going with an AAC trilug soon and possibly a mock silencer option.

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6264.jpg

Comments appreciated. :)

I agree. It's simply stunning. I love that barrel, still don't understand why PTS did not release a 10.5inch instead of a 11.5 inch.

Might buy myself a 11.5 and do the same as you did.

It's a good mod, but a bit of work pushing the gas block back. Essentially you have to cut the barrel behind the gas block, and re-attach the barrel from there. I'll post some pics later.

id love to see how you managed to shorten the outter barrel. the 11.5 inch barrel still is too long for my taste. Your ACR, however, is the perfect length.

TBH, mine is only an inch shorter than the 11.5", but it's the fact the gas block protruded in front of the RIS is what bothered me. So to shorten the barrel, the barrel had to be cut from behind the gas block and reattached there. I'll post some pics soon. Been somewhat rather busy.:P

I like the mods on the 10.5" ACR, I've always preferred the front railed unit and the adjustable rear folding stock to that of the standard kit supplied with the Magpul PTS version. However I'm not a fan of the MBUS set, not sure if it's their size (big and chunky) or, especially in this case, the colour. They just look too "obvious" and in the way. Regardless of this, nice pieces of hardware on show...

I like the mods on the 10.5" ACR, I've always preferred the front railed unit and the adjustable rear folding stock to that of the standard kit supplied with the Magpul PTS version. However I'm not a fan of the MBUS set, not sure if it's their size (big and chunky) or, especially in this case, the colour. They just look too "obvious" and in the way. Regardless of this, nice pieces of hardware on show...

Thanks for the compliments. I went with the black MBUS because I was trying to replicate the Remington prototype as best I could from this pic (with the exception of the barrel):

acr1b.jpg

That said, I've gone with FDE MBUS now, possibly will go with Troys later as I've seen a lot of Remington ACR photos with Troys.

As requested:

Here are the pics of the barrel mod. Essentially you cut the barrel from behind the gas block, shorten it to the desired length, but leave about a 1/2" to go into the socket. You'll need to lathe out that 1/2" portion to fit. Then I used a mini-hex screw to secure the two parts and prevent rotation of the front part.

bf44a2b1.jpg

Here are my two barrels: Top is the original 14.5" shortened to 12.5", gasblock in it's original position. Below is the shortened 10.5" with the gas block pushed back:

7b0a685d.jpg

On that note, regarding the top rail mod: Here are some pics of the finished product. I didn't take any pics of the process, but I will for my black ACR which is in the works:

6eeb32fb.jpg

85a17469.jpg

Is the rail this aftermarket components?

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=28857

Nice photos. Makes me want to get one.

Not quite. Mine's the RS Bushmaster variant. Notable differences between the PTS RIS and Bushmaster RIS:

1. Color/Paint: PTS is Flat Dark Earth and BM is Coyote Brown

2. Front Screw Mounting holes: PTS has them, BM doesn't

3. Bottom Picitinny Rail: The bottom rail of the BM RIS is shorter than the PTS (I'm guessing because of the rigidity the pin design requires for RS)

4. Quality: BM's CNC lines are cleaner than PTS and I believe the material is stronger than the PTS (for obvious reasons). This also goes for the built on front QD mounts.

Archived