JG MAC-10 AEP (TM clone)

renegadecow

Actually FPS can vary in some guns with a stronger LiPo. I've seen M4s not pass the chrono with a 11.1v and do it with a 7.4v. My guess is that it has to do with the faster compression of the spring, giving it a bit more inertia and getting that tad more of energy.

Anyway the FPS did not change in this case, and I couldn't test the RoF properly with the original battery due to its crappyness. It's not a very fast gun in any case. I'd guesstimate it around 500rpm :)

I can take pics of the actual state of the mod. The gun is extremelly easy to disassemble :)

BTW I think I read somewhere it uses AEP specific rubber, so I don't know how much you would need to modify a standard one... It shoots well as it is.

I modified the battery space (heavily) to admit a 7.4v 1100mAh LiPo, which is working nicely. The gun is way more responsive and "alive" than with the original battery, which is quite crappy.

Hop works well and I've been using 0.20s and 0.25s with it without trouble.

Velocity is a not-so-modest-for-an-AEP ~300FPS with 0.20s.

Quite fun gun to use as a secondary without the troubles of small mags or gas in the cold :)

Hmmm. I think I'm sold.

I had a CYMA beta in the operations' table that took most of my afternoon, so I couldn't take pics of the interior of the Mac-10.

In any case, what you need to get more battery space is:

1.- Unscrew the molds for the original battery attached to the top cover. Those are simple guides with the contour of the AEP battery. 4 small screws total.

2.- Unscrew the lever used to pull out the AEP battery.

3.- Unscrew the AEP battery's base. There are two screws near the hop chamber and another one down below near the front. This last one is accessible through a hole in the plate. You can lift it out now.

In order to maximize the space you'll need to "flatten" the plastic base dremeling out the contoured sizes that guide the original battery. With those and top ones out, the space will be now squared instead of rounded. You can either get rid of the fuse or cover it with tape, as now a portion of the cables will be visible.

If your battery is about 90mm long you won't need anything else, but my 1100mAh batt is 94mm long, so I needed some extra space. I got rid of half the contacts of the AEP battery dock and the surrounding plastic, leaving just the two I used to solder the new cable+connectors.

I'll try to take some pictures to clarify the points, but once opened it's quite straightforward.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived