Fake ESS ICE glasses?

FTZ-WildeCard

Hi All,

I purchased some ESS ICE glasses off eBay (probably my first mistake) from a seller that seemed to have excellent (100%) feedback. Well they've arrived.. for starters the clear lens that was installed did not have any protective film on it (none of the supplied lenses did). The clear lens was covered in smudges and small marks -- alarm bells started going in my head.

On closer inspection, the shape of the lenses does not appear to be correct, nor the markings on the lenses or the carry case. I've compared with a pair of ESS ICE that my brother owns and there is definitely something off about these. I've included a quick picture and am hoping someone can help identify these as fake or genuine - You can't see the smudging or marks on the glasses, but you can see the difference in shape for the glasses vs instructions. 

Google hasn't turned up much in the way of things to look unfortunately. 

Thanks in advance. 

28ckb4j.jpg

Thanks Mike - To be honest, they didn't arrive in Brand New condition anyway, so I'm contacting the seller.

It would be good to turn this into a warning thread if someone can confirm that these are indeed fakes. I've looked for any ESS ICE glasses that appear anywhere that look like these and can't find anything. The shape of every pair I can find is closer to what ESS' own site has. Ho Hum.. :) 

the lens does look off... i might suggest a small firing test?

Well I paid a fair bit for them to shoot them up! 

Anyway, a quick update - the seller has apologised for the dirty lens and has also said " ...may I confirm that these are 100% genuine, we only purchase our items through the MOD warehouse and the glasses are current issue items.."

They've offered me a full refund, including any return postage. I'll take them up on the offer and re-order from another retailer. In any case, I will do a side by side comparison with the other pair of ESS ICE glasses my brother has, for future reference.

If anyone comes along in the future and can shed more light on this (even better if they are serving personnel and confirm they were issued the same glasses as I bought) that would be swell.

Until then, I can't confirm that these are fake or not.  :no:

OK - here are the comparison photos. The ones I purchased from eBay will generally be on the right hand side of the photos. The pair on the left were purchased from an online tactical goods retailer directly and not via any eBay store. Bear in mind, I am not suggesting that the ones from eBay are fakes - I really am not sure, but as you will see there are several things that make me doubt their authenticity.

The eBay glasses were sold as "brand new" ESS ICE glasses - there was no mention of being replicas or glasses "made in the style of" ESS ICE.

I hope these comparisons will help future purchasers of ICE glasses.

IMG_0346_zps85d0aa1b.jpg

Observations - Cases 

- eBay case is very flimsy, has an almost scrotum like (chuckle :cookiemonster: ) appearance due to wrinkling - poor stitching also. The tactical shop glasses case is rigid, when crushed slightly it returns to its original shape.

- Logos between the two are different, but have been used by ESS in the past. The eBay markings seem to be an older logo.

- Inside the cases, the eBay case is very thin with little padding. "CASE CHINA" is printed clearly inside. The tactical shop glasses case have some padding but no other markings.

IMG_0331_zps433c0f73.jpg

Glasses - Observations

- Both the tactical shop and eBay glasses are both branded ESS in the centre-top of the lens, as before the eBay item seems to use an older ESS logo

- There are no other markings on the tactical shop glasses, the CE mark is hidden by the right hand side arm clip

- The eBay glasses have ICE markings on the left hand side - the ICE marking does not seem to align correctly based on comparisons with ESS' own website - but not all ICE glasses seem to have this marking anyway.

- eBay glasses: CE markings on the right hand side

- The shape of both lenses is different and can easily be seen by viewing either pair from the side - the eBay glasses' profile does not seem to match any photos I can find online for ESS ICE glasses and seems closer to Crossbow style glasses but not quite.

IMG_0330_zps588b6861.jpg

Side by Side Shot

IMG_0329_zps6f205c1b.jpg

Case Hooks - Observations

- The eBay case has a much smaller hook with differing material to the other case. There seems to be some kind of white plastic tag loop attached - the tag was missing on delivery.

IMG_0353_zps69e01302.jpg

And Finally....

- The above is a photo of the eBay glasses with the supplied instructions sheet. Note the shape of the actual glasses and instructions do not match up. Additionally, the markings on the instructions' photo of the glasses do not tally with either pair of glasses - they are simply marked ICE.

- In this photo it is also possible to see how dirty and marked the "brand new" eBay glasses are - they have not been used, this is how they appeared on delivery.

In conclusion

If you are better versed in ICE products than me, I do welcome your opinion as to the authenticity of the eBay glasses. For full disclosure - I have no confidence in the eBay items and have already contacted the seller to arrange a return of the item and will instead purchase from another vendor.

Hope some of this will be of use to someone! 

To add, I have a pair that are more similar to the right pair (eBay)

They were supplied by a friend of mine who is serving, and the items items were direct from stores.
Maybe the eBay seller is telling the truth.
Tested mine with 357fps, full auto from around 3-4 inches away, and no damage to the lense at all.

They might have just be an old style... I'll have a look at my ones when I get back as I got mine from eBay through an eBay store

EDIT:

Just had a look at mine and they are the same style as your eBay ones however, the case is the same as the one on the left and the ESS logo on the front middle is the same as the new ones as well, I think its probably and older or newer style

I have also purchased a set of ESS Eyeshields like yours (also from eBay, and also sold as military surplus), though I have since used them in several games without incident. Given the differences, until we get any word from ESS, all we can do is speculate over the fact that they may be a newer run with a different design. The cheaper case could also be explained as a cost-cutting measure for military sales. Though if the MoD started issuing fake ESS eyepro that could certainly kick up a stink!

Looking forward to hearing updates on this.

Those fore sure look like knock offs. Many many differences. Such as the dip in the top of the lens, and no trade marks.

What photos are you looking at? Trades are there and in the normal place.

Just had a quick google image search and there are numerous photos with different designs for the lens tips. It may well be that those are the older style ones (if they are EX MOD then that is a good possibility) and the instruction book has been robbed from a different case.

Just had a quick google image search and there are numerous photos with different designs for the lens tips. It may well be that those are the older style ones (if they are EX MOD then that is a good possibility) and the instruction book has been robbed from a different case.

This. OP my glasses where purchased through a seller on Ebay selling surplus British kit, and my glasses look exactly like yours - glasses and case.

Mine did come in a little jiffy bag which had the issue number, contract numbers amongst other things. Unless the replicas are getting very good at replicating every little details! :D

Interesting... I bought a pair from Tactical-Kit about 2 and half years back that are Identical in every respect to the eBay pair you received, and as far as I'm aware, Tactical-Kit only sell the real deal. I've certainly never had any issues with my pair, and they've survived plenty of direct impacts without a hiccup.

Hopefully this is nothing more than a case of my pair, and the eBay pair you received being older versions of the same product!

OK guys - here's what you've all been waiting for! 

I wrote to ESS and supplied them my photos... the results are:

THEY'RE GENIUNE!

They were a product made for the UK division; they're 4 years + old but most definitely genuine. 

Hope this will be of us to the community. :)

EDIT: Strange I can't find the edit button on the first post to update it! 

Archived