Receiver engraving and refinishing - Any suggestions?

hwagan

Howdy,

I've done the usual search, and found the usual nothing, so...

After spending ages thinking of ideas and trying to come up with a good thing to do with my LM4, and re-reading some of the Oregon Files novels, I've decided I'm going to turn said LM4 into the closest I can reasonably get to a Barrett REC7. Also, I'm going to annoy the Chinese navy and get them to shoot my leg off, and then go and buy a Titanium leg with a gun in it, but that'll come later.

Anyhow. Having done a bit of research, this project isn't looking too difficult except for one hitch. Madbull make the correct gas block/piston assembly, and the REC7 is offered with a DD Omega rail or an ARMS S.I.R. I'm going with the Omega rail because I much prefer the look and I'm not sure if anyone makes a mid-length SIR. I'm also going to go with a 12" barrel length, which isn't a standard option from Barrett from what I can tell, but hey, it's the god-damned Corporation, they have TV's on their sleeves, they can have whatever barrel length they damn well please.

So, onto the hitch - With just a fancy gas assembly and an Omega rail, it's not really a REC7. The real key to this project is the receiver engraving.

I've found this website here: http://airsoftengraver.com/ - They seem to offer all the necessary services, and I've sent an e-mail in to find out if they can do all I require. However, the website is a bit poor and I'd like to see if there's any other options available that people have previously used.

So basically, I need to find a company/person who can:

Strip a KWA LM4 receiver to bare metal.

Mill engrave trademarks on the side of the magwell in the correct font.

Re-finish the upper and lower receiver, ideally anodized black.

Laser etch the Barret logo on the opposite side of the magwell and the upper receiver.

I'm aware this'll cost a bit, but I'm willing to pay decent money to get the desired results. If anyone has had anything like this done, or knows of anywhere that'll do it, I'd be immensely grateful. 

Also, I'm not looking for suggestions or how-to's on doing any of the work myself - I'll royally *badger*s it up, and I want this done professionally!

Ahhh thanks man - I'll wing them an e-mail!

I've also spoken to Keith who runs airsoftengraver.com, and from his initial response it's looking positive - Offers all the services I require, and definitely seems to know what he's talking about. I'll see what RifleCraft are after for the same work 'n all, as they're obviously more established.

Will do man! I'm still trying to decide between the PDW, 10.5 or 12" build, as they all look pretty awesome. I'm leaning towards the 9" rail/12" barrel as I'm used to a 9" rail, but the shorter options do look awesome, and I tend to hit barrels more than 10.5" on trees and things quite often...

definately keep the 9" rail.  id go for the 12" as i prefer to literally reach out and touch people (i do like long guns :P)

also purely because 1.5" out the front of a ris doesnt look right.

See the gas block for the REC7 has a top rail in line with the upper receiver/RIS top rail, so it's kind of like an extension of the RIS as it is. With the 12" barrel, it'd be flash-hider in front of the gas block. Which isn't a bad look in my eyes, but it's also going to be a fair bit heavier than the 10.5" version. I'm not 100% set on the model yet. I quite like all of them!

Your on the right track speaking to Keith. I've seen his work and his set up. Most impressive. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awesome, good to know someone else has heard of the guy - Thanks man, very reassuring. He seems to know exactly what he's on about and very proffessional in the e-mail I've had, but positive feedback definitely helps.

I've been over to his place and seen his work. Eventually I'll get him to do an upper and lower receiver. He's one of these technical types that when he's talking within a minute or two I'm baffled by his knowledge. Best of with the project anyway. Get some pics up when your sorted.

That all sounds like good news! Currently I'm awaiting a quote for the work, but I'm going to have this done one way or the other. I don't suppose you've got any past experiences of what his prices are like? I'm not sure whether to be expecting a quote for £50 or £500!

Well, having got to know Keith during last year's NAE I can say that his prices seemed very reasonable.

We chatted about some work on my Thompson and my 15" Deagle. His stall showed off some of his wares, foam cuttings, vinyl badges, etc.

In the end I did not take him up on some engraving for my Deagle but only because I haven't finished the rest of the custom work on it yet myself.

That's even more good news - I've got a price I'm willing to pay in my head, 

Had an e-mail back from Riflecraft; They only do Laser Engraving, and I'm waiting for a reply on how deep they can laser engrave something. Either way, if it's the laser etching I'm thinking of in my head it's not gonna be good enough for the Barrett markings!

Airsoftengraver = Keith = PTWAirsoft

Just Google PTWAirsoft (hell, there's even a thread on here about it) and read all the stories of those who got ripped off by this shyster. I'm one of the lucky ones. It only took me a couple of months (mind you, a few threats of legal action and other stuff as well), to get my money back. There's also a thread on GasGuns.Info as well - and a few on TW forums.

Had an e-mail back from Riflecraft; They only do Laser Engraving, and I'm waiting for a reply on how deep they can laser engrave something.

Through the paint to the metal surface and that'll be as far as you'll get, if you want deep trades you'll be looking for mechnical engraving.

Also I'm assuming the LM4 receiver isn't a high grade of aluminium so I'd rule out anodising it too, even if you'd want to pay the minimum charge most commercial anodisers have they're unlikely to be willing to do it and risk contaminating a large volume of anodising solution and having to replace it, painting would be a much safer bet.

Dammit I was hoping this Keith guy was going to turn out as on the ball, I for a while now have been wanting to get a silver 1911 and add Babydolls from Sucker Punch engravings to the slide, I even have the design a friend has drawn up pretty much to scale.

Just Google PTWAirsoft (hell, there's even a thread on here about it) and read all the stories of those who got ripped off by this shyster. I'm one of the lucky ones. It only took me a couple of months (mind you, a few threats of legal action and other stuff as well), to get my money back. There's also a thread on GasGuns.Info as well - and a few on TW forums.

Really? Good grief he seemed ok. I'll have a look at that.

FFS!

STAY AWAY!!!

I have first hand experience of that douche dickface of a sorry excuse for a human being, and not a very good experience... DO NOT under any circumstances deal with that person no matter how good it may seem.

My thread about it

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/199540-ptwairsoftcouk-no-response/page__p__2489653__hl__ptwairsoft__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=2489653

Another victim on Arnies

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/207292-scammed-by-ptw-airsoft/?hl=%2Bptwairsoft&do=findComment&comment=2592448

Another victim on gasguns

http://www.gasguns.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8740

Ooow, this made me mad just now, that *beep* !

Just a note, any potential positive things I say about Keith or his business in any of these threads, scratch that and replace with cuss words, *beep* *fruitcage*!

Yeah, riflecraft for the finish for sure, and then if we can get a proper engraver to take our business we would be set! :)

Spread the word about that Keith douche as well, if you see anyone potentially doing business with him, steer them clear. Anyone who asks me about my PMAGs I say, "anywhere or anyone except Keith / PTWAirsoft".

Hell I kind of got the urge to fly over the the UK and file a proper police report and statement on him... :|

Reply to below;

Last post about him, not to derail thread further. But yes, he seems alright doesn't he, but considering the amount of shady websites and services he has floating around, and his track record, and the re-occuring scam reports there is only one conclusion that can be drawn, the guy is a scammer and a theif!

• 6 months later...

Archived