Shotgun Idea

renegadecow

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mechanism design in my skull for a shotgun that suits me perfectly, but I've no skill, tools or materials to even think about actually building it :(.

So put it out in the public domain and reap the benefits of potentially sparking further ingenuity!

This is definitely a neat project.

There are a few things I think would save some hassle though. One being hop-up. Hot necessary is it? I can only picture it making the spread funky and making you need more power. Also, again thinking of spread, would an 8MM barrel with 6MM BBs not add a better pattern, givin the rounds more "wiggle room"? This would require more power though, with plenty of air escaping.

I figured the hop is more on keeping the bbs from rolling out because when you load a shell it dumps all its contents into the barrel. From my experience in chucking 6mm bbs in an 8mm barrel, it seems to work ok. Power is greatly reduced though so maybe a 6mm barrel at first then opens up to 8mm. Personally, just mixing bb weights increases spread well enough even on 5-shot Mossbergs.

Yep, if you want spread, mix weights of BB!

When I had my Clarence lei M1100, I used to hand load shells with weights from. 12 up to .4g. Can't remember the exact figures I got, but with 10 bbs, I want getting spreads of around 10 feet at 20 metres I think, with a .4 'slug' in the middle of the shell rocketing out to 30 ish metres...

Different system, I know, but principles should be the same. Mine ran at 400 fps with a .2g bb :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived