ARE THEY ALL THE SAME?

Born2BeMild

Guys,

We're talking AEG's here.

I don't think there is much point in all arguing about which gun is best. A lot of you think that they are all the same. At least, I have read that in many posts. But, they can't be all the same can they?

If they are all the same, then all I would have to do is buy the gun I like the look of. If thats the case then its a straight shoot out between;

The AUG Steyr

AK47 Folding Stock

M1A1 Thompson

MP5 SD6

G3 SG1

I know there are a lot of you out there who like the M4's and the G36's (I bought a G36 myself and was looking forward to it unitil parcelforce lost it!) but I'm not so sure that I like the look of these types anymore.

If any of you have experience of any of the above I would be interested in your comments. Especially regarding the following questions;

Is there realistically a lot of difference in performance between a 700 motor and a 1000 motor?

What in your opinion is the most essential add on for an AEG?

Are there any reliability issues attached to the above AEG's?

I would appreciate any comments as I am definately going to buy one of the above and I don't want to buy a pup.

Cheers Guys

Basically, all TM AEGs are pretty much the same. Honest. Range is about the same, power is about the same, and guns with longer barrels will only benefit from greater accuracy.

Besides that, there are individula reliability issues attached to certain guns, but that's it.

Steyr AUG

Very nice, long barrel, bullpup layout so quite compact, quite rare, I want one so... ;)

AK47S

Nice, decent barrel length, lots of metal, but the folding stock means that it only takes the infernal stick style mini batteries, so battery changes are a right pain in the a*se. Also the stock isn't really that stable...

MP5SD6

Not bad, OK barrel length, but the cocking handle is weak, and I've also heard some reliability problems. Only takes small batteries. Personally I'd stay away, but others may disagree. The silencer's nice though.

G3 SG-1

One of the longest barrels makes this very accurate, large battery, nice looking. Bi-pod's unstable though, and it's a creaky bugger. Don't sling it either - the plastic body isn't all that strong.

M1A1 Thompson

My lovely, lovely baby. I got one a few months ago, and aside from the selector switch sticking (which could happen to any AEG), it's been flawless. Loads of metal, nice an accurate, and looks GORGEOUS! Make sure you get a sling, as she's a heavy bugger, but it'd be my choice any day. Some people have experienced the front barrel/receiver bracket snapping, but I've seen no sign of that on mine yet. Don't TRY to break it and you should be fine :)

Cheers,

HaVoC

yeah, i would say Havoc got his reply pretty near perfect.

glad he's not too biased towards the thompson though...... :blink::P

One note to go with his post, the plastic silencer you get with the TM SD series is ######, replace it with a metal CA silencer and then you have a seriously nice AEG, which is very quiet. Personally i would advise you getting the solid stocked version, as the large battery just gives you so many more options upgrade wise, and the sliding stock is prone to wearing on the adjuster locking dial thingy (i'm trying not to get too technical for you here :huh: ), which to me is the SD6's only downfall.

Personally i wouldn't stay away. But then again i like all of the options there, aside from the AK47s, on which the folding stock is just too brakeable for me.

And stick batteries...stick batteries...stick batteries...

*The words 'stick batteries' repeat over and over in my head*

...stick batteries...stick batteries...stick BATTERIES!!!

STICK BATTERIES ARE THE DEVIL!!! Ban...ban...ban...!!!

Ahem...

------------------

Seriously, stick batteries *cringes* are a real pain in the a*se to change, the offer little MaH capacity (as with mini batteries), and they're hard to carry round in the field if you carry spares with you.

Get the full stock version, or the Spetznaz. It's damn near perfect then, although personally I hate the AK sights. Still, at least you won't have to endure...erm...stick batteries...

*commits suicide*

He's right you know, stick batteries can kill with their lameness.

Here is a perfect example of why AEGs are practically the same, an MP5K will shoot to practically the same range as an AUG/M4/whatever, provided they are all stock, upgraded? I don't know but stock, the only difference is build quality, battery capacity and looks.

Most AEGs are the same*

*With exeption of...

Barrel length (accuracy), battery size, age/reliability, looks.

What people mean when they say 'they are all the same' they mean, your gun will preform well against any other TM stock gun, and none of them will break in a week (unless you are me).

Im sure the AUG is reputed to have a slightly higher velocity something like an extra 10fps. Ive the Mil. Version which apparantly is out of cycle of production and as havoc says is rare. I love it to death, its a bloody ROCK and itll take a beating, its also smaller than the M16 with nearly the same barrel length, its back heavy which is good for CQB and the long barrel/slightly better FPS in a small package means its a versatile gun. Only drawbacks, dont give the foregrip abuse itll die on you, watch the magazine feed nozell (dont slap the mags in, be gentle....like with a wonderful woman.) And bear in mind it takes a mini battery so you will get not much but just a small amount less of use with each charge compared to a large batt.

My 2p.

Actually you'll get quite a lot less use.

Using basic maths, most mini batteries are 600mAh, and my large battery is 2400mAh (pretty standard), so my large battery SHOULD last almost 4 times as long as one of those minis.

It probably won't, but it will last maybe 3 times as long... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Im sure the AUG is reputed to have a slightly higher velocity something like an extra 10fps. Ive the Mil. Version which apparantly is out of cycle of production and as havoc says is rare. I love it to death, its a bloody ROCK and itll take a beating, its also smaller than the M16 with nearly the same barrel length, its back heavy which is good for CQB and the long barrel/slightly better FPS in a small package means its a versatile gun. Only drawbacks, dont give the foregrip abuse itll die on you, watch the magazine feed nozell (dont slap the mags in, be gentle....like with a wonderful woman.) And bear in mind it takes a mini battery so you will get not much but just a small amount less of use with each charge compared to a large batt.

My 2p.

I'd heard that the AUG had a problem with the magwell, a friend (who swears by the AUG) sometimes has difficulty getting his mag in (probably has the same problem with a wonderful woman)

Actually you'll get quite a lot less use.

Using basic maths, most mini batteries are 600mAh, and my large battery is 2400mAh (pretty standard), so my large battery SHOULD last almost 4 times as long as one of those minis.

It probably won't, but it will last maybe 3 times as long... :)

My mini batts are 1200mah 8.4v so no big problem there.

Its the G36 and SigSauer 552 . Those translucent mags!!!!

P90 hi-caps are under your nose so you know exactly how many rnds left without taking the aeg from your shoulder, same barrel length as the M4 and it's a bullpup so it's real short (the ideal cqb gun that is also at home in the woodland games).

Archived