Anyone else lift as a hobby? (no crossfitters allowed)

Dacascos

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its because 'most' crossfitters have no technique at all, its litterally move the weight anywhich how. Its like going to work and people just doing everything their own way no system or technique behind it and its a massive safety issue thats why people ddont like crossfit. 

Also because much like vegetablism and abstaining from TV, some people can't seem to shut up about it.  I never cared about the weird, jerky, joint-destroying stuff going on in my gym, as long as nothing got flung in my direction.  

Speaking of pros, I don't have a single acquaintance who lifts regularly, except a former Mr. O who's in a relationship with a good friend.  Kinda hard to feel manly when that guy is around.  

Thanks for the advice, but I know what I'm doing to lose weight. Its just the whole weight lifting thing that I don't know what I'm doing.
I have a bar with 4, 20 pound weights I use for benching, squats and deadlifts (the bar is aluminum and weighs maybe 3 pounds)
2, 10 pound single hand weights I use for butterflies
And a 30 pound single hand weight I use for rows and skull crushers.
I found some smaller plates I can add to the bars, but nothing I can really do evenly.

edit: I did just think of a better option though. My late grandfather had built a more complete home gym in his basement. Maybe my grandmother still has the stuff set up. Ill have to ask her about it.

Dude just a personal opinion here, a lot of people will back me and a lot will massively disagree BUT better you get the warning early just incase you end up in the same boat! So SkullCrushers, if you can stay well clear they can cause somee very serious and very long term intense pain in your elbows even if your for is perfect. Its like squats, some people are jut not built for it. So if your elbows start to pull and ache QUIT IT before you end up in a serious situation!!

I am in no way trying to put you off them just something I have come across in my years of it

It's skeletal system and biomechanics.

Same goes for compound lifts- every single person has a different skeleton, trying to force the form from one person to another doesn't always work. Some people have naturally wide hips, longer shins, rounded shoulders.

Yes lifting correctly and with constructive work you can correct posture with lifting, however if it doesn't work, don't force it! Dacascos is right here - if you get pain somewhere get a form check, or stop doing the exercise. I don't bench as i've got shoulder issues due to rugby/impact and benching pulls things the wrong way.

Had an ERI (exercise rehab instructor) spend three hour sessions recorrecting my shoulders and i've had no pain since, just avoiding benching as it was part of the issue!

my gym has recently got some new stuff in. God knows if its groundbreaking but it looks quite fun and I wouldn't mind having a go. On top of the usual kettlebells etc they've got a "battle rope" (actually a black tow rope), some bulgarian bags, viprs and 60kg "tyre" with handles. Anybody got any suggestions for a workout I could do in no more then 30 mins involving all of the above? Literally no idea about this shiiit

30 minute workout can be put together but you need time either side of it to woarm up and cool down and stretch. I dont believe you can fit it all into 30 mins dude

Would stay away from kettle bells too as I have heard of A LOT of people ending up with carpal tunnel and tendonitis from it

30 minute workout can be put together but you need time either side of it to woarm up and cool down and stretch. I dont believe you can fit it all into 30 mins dude

I expect that literally hundreds of millions of people have successfully exercised in around 30 mins or less but whatever

I'd roll for some sort of 'for time' exercises. Brief explaination for this:

battle rope whips - wave it up and down

bulgarian bags - I have no idea what this is beyond a heavy croissant.

viprs lunge - lung with it to one side, stand up return to middle, lunge onto other leg with vipr down the other side

tyre flips - deadlift it up, flip over and repeat

30 minutes divided into 5 minute rounds, 6 rounds. Keep form strict, especially towards the end of the half hour. Warm up by jogging/running with plyometrics for 5-10 minutes (hopefully run to the gym) and cool down with stretches, focusing on hamstrings, quads and lower back on this. If you have time, gentle jog back focusing on breathing and lowering heart rate. Ice cold shower. Done.

Whips, vipr lunge, burpees, tyre flips, pullups. 45 seconds of each, 15 seconds rest into the next exercise.

I expect that literally hundreds of millions of people have successfully exercised in around 30 mins or less but whatever

"whatever"....?? Suddenly you're a 5 year old dude? Come on, its a forum of people giving THEIR opinions, if you dont want then dont comment!!

I've never stated my opinion is 100% right for everyone but every kid I train passes his/her PT test with flying colours so please dont "whatever" me, its childish, rude and unnecassary especially when you're the one asking for help.

I have a bar with 4, 20 pound weights I use for benching, squats and deadlifts (the bar is aluminum and weighs maybe 3 pounds)

2, 10 pound single hand weights I use for butterflies

And a 30 pound single hand weight I use for rows and skull crushers.

I found some smaller plates I can add to the bars, but nothing I can really do evenly.

That aluminum bar appears sketchy so please be careful. Home gyms are great, but just make sure your equpiment is safe, won't break, or somehow hurt you. You should be able to find a lot of good information online regarding equipment that is considered "unsafe".

Generally: proper lifting bars come in 10, 15, and 20kg's - bars can also vary based on the type of excersize it will be used for (i.e. diameter, knurling patterns, "flex", "spin", etc.). The bar is also designed for specific color coded plates, or "bumpers" - they often come in 10 (green), 15 (yellow), 20 (blue), and 25kg (red) increments (there are also 1 kg increment and fraction plates, but those aren't too common). During IWF competion, collars are used to keep the bumpers in place - these should be 2.5kg's. I would recommend using collars, or some form of safety clips until you get more comfortable. I start to use collars for completion prep as, for me, it changes the feel of the bar tremendously for some reason.

Good luck!

It's minor weight distribution and rotation of the plates.

If the collars grip the plate properly it changes how fluent the plate rotates naturally - can really make the difference sometimes.

Yeah, that makes sense - people have told me a lot of reasons why; I might just be over thinking things sometimes

Our plates actually don't rotate at all during the lifts and the shaft of the barbell spins within the sleeves...even unloaded, the weight of the sleeves alone prevents them from spinning. The bars at my gym all have bearings in them instead of bushings to help control this. I'm certainly no expert, but that's what I was told (among other reasons).

For example, notice here that the plates aren't spinning at all. On a side note, I really like the way Lydia lifts...it's nearlly perfect. Around the 29 second mark, her head almost makes contact with the bar as she moves into the catch - a lot of lifters, including me, seems to have a hard time with this concept as I've actually hit my head when I mis-timed my pull. She basically took 115kg's from first pull to catch in about 3/4 of second...she is exceptionally fast.

I wish I could watch Youtube at work.. something about someone called 'Lydia' who lifts with perfect form gets me interested.

Part of my interest in biomechanics is the complexity of it all - one slip or minor imperfection in your posture and you've dropped 30kg on a max lift or thrown a joint out.

Your point with nearly missing your head with the bar is common, it's human. I remember learning basic rifle drill and watching people move their head around the weapon, not the weapon around the head. It's the same principle, it won't hit your head, it's not big enough, but you percieve it too and that's enough to chicken neck.

No, though I do use that holdd for shoulders and back often but iit was actually my arms just suddenly decided "nope not doing this anymore tough and nope not giving you a warning here ya go heres 180kg how do you like it hahahahah" and that was that!! Couple of guys saw though and rushed over to lift it off my now misshaped torso!!! Kinda hurt to be honest but the embarrassment was sooooo much worse but funny too

When I was in training (and a rehab platoon for a funked back) there was a Royal Marine platoon commander on exchange.

He got trapped under a 60kg bar benching solo, we rushed to help and as there's no rank in the gym someone called him mate. Swift grilling* later from a PTI SSgt we were reminded of his rank.

Two weeks later, same guy, same time, same thing happened. We didn't help as he's a confirmed throbber and we practically fell in to watch as he did the roll of shame. In his 'Royal Marine Commando' T-Shirt. It is a state of mind after all.

*read: absolute melting

The gym is no rank period unless in uniform but still if someone helps you then geees, I'd have dropped it back down but it does go to show the mentality in the gym, everyone will run to your aid but you burn that bridge and everyone will just watch whilst not seeing a thing!!

Not sure what was worse for him, the pain of it, the roll of shame or the 60kg's with that attitude!!

I wish I could watch Youtube at work.. something about someone called 'Lydia' who lifts with perfect form gets me interested.

More or less every guy in my gym has a hard on for her...Jessica Salvagio, Maria De La Puente, Julia Rhodes, etc. Just google them and you'll see why. These ladies are all ranked elite lifters and are supremely talented.

Isnt she the girl that olympic benches???

When people mention "lifting", I automatically assume "Olympic Lifting" as that's the only kind of lifting I know how to do. There are only two lifts performed in the Olympics, snatch and clean+jerk. Both lifts are extremely safe (the "power" variation of these lifts are even safer) and I feel is no more or less dangerous than any other sport. But like with any sport, it must be taught, supervised, and performed correctly with the correct equipment (e.g. proper lifting shoes are MUST, chalk, etc.). I've been doing snatch and clean+jerks for nearly 20 years now and have never been seriously hurt (a few cuts and scrapes, mostly from brushing the knurling against my skin). I've never come close to dropping a loaded bar on myself...but then again, I can't do any heavy lifts (over 80kg) for the past 10 or so years.

Was it suicide grip..?

I've never seen any benefits to holding a bar without your thumb, and the risk far outways reward.

I sometimes switch up to a "thumbless" grip on my jerk (the clean and snatch has to be done using something called a "hook" grip, otherwise you might get hurt). I honestly don't know why I switch it up - when I finish my clean, I drive the bar up to the point it's launched into the air for a split second. I sometimes completely let go and I think that's when I naturally move from hook to thumb-less grip. Again, I don't feel it's any more or less dangerous for jerks (most definitely a no-no for snatching or cleaning) and never been advised not to use it (several of my coaches pointed the change in grip to me as I didn't even know I was doing it). Perhaps it is dangerous for other types of lifts? I'm not really sure...

The hook is fine for all lifts bar the bench - the thumb prevents the bar rolling forward and out of the grip. Sweaty palm, lapse in chalk or any factor and the bar is falling between armpit and stomach.

Unfortunately for humans, that's where all the bits you need to live are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222121/Strongman-gym-boss-dies-freak-accident-weightlifting-bar-falls-face.html

Archived