TM HK45, or TM M&P 9...which one and why please?

gogojuice

Well,  

At this time I think I have narrowed my search for a sidearm to these two guns

TM HK45 and TM M&P 9 custom.

I'm not an expert on airsoft by any means, so I come to you looking for your opinions on why you would pick one over the other.

I have searched the net and forums but haven't been able to make my mind up.

Thanks

I have both, three actually, the HK45, M&P9 black and M&P9 custom.

Ergonomics wise, both are the same to me with the different backstrap sizes. Mag release also feels natural to me despite the difference, no hesitation when switching between them

Both also have the same internals; hopup adjustment, blowback unit, etc.

Glow sights are a plus for dark indoors CQB or night games, so a plus for the Custom.

Downside for the HK45 is lack of ACM holsters; I modded, more like chopped and gutted, a P226R CQC holster to make it fit.

The M&P9 however, drops straight into one of my G17 CQC while a tight fit on another G17 CQC, maybe due to a different ACM brand.

Both are quite accurate, well adequate for indoors and acceptable for outdoors.

Quick story for the HK45, I shot a guy once about 50meters away, aiming the sights about 2 meters above him, the BB sailed in a perfect arc and hit him in the upper body. Goose bumps thinking about it.

While I cant comment on the performance of the TM HK45 (as I have the KWA) I can say it is by far the most comfortable pistol I have ever owned. Perfect device, even got to shoot a real one out in Vegas which mad me VERY happy :D

Everything on the pistol is exactly where you would want it to be and so easy to use. I personally found the M&P too small and uncomfortable to use. 

Holster wise, make one from Kydex theres thousands of videos on Youtube how its very simple and pretty cheap once your set up. Plus they can also be tailored to your exact needs without compromise. 

Both.

No I am being serious buy both and you will find that they will last you a long time, shoot straight and just flat out work.

This is coming from someone with both, and a hell of a lot of other TM guns. They are both worth it. Only pros and cons is the M&P is quite light (good for some, bad for others) and the HK45 has a very specific grip (again good for some, bad for others). Aside from the striker over DA/SA actions they offer practically the same things, this really is one of those that is down to feel alone.

'FireKnife'

Making a Kydex holster out of an Abs plastic gun is a BAD idea!

The temperature required to mold kydex will cause abs to wrap.

Well thats just not true. I've made 20 odd holsters never an issue damaging the gun through warping. As soon as the Kydex is away from the heatgun/oven the temp drops rapidly allowing you to mould the pistol, within 20 seconds is cool enough to touch, 1 minute later is cold again. 

Actually made about 3 different holsters for a TM PX4 no damage what so ever was done. Ive even done Cold Steel training weapons which are a much softer plastic and they didnt warp. However if you are worried that it will a piece of tin foil (shiny side out) will reflect the 5 seconds of quite hot heat away which is what I use when moulds are needed for foam based products. 

More on topic - Fireknife is a man to trust about pistols!!

What more convincing do you need D:

Just get 1 x TM M&P9 and 1 x TM HK45 since you need one pistol for your wifey and one for you.

Doesn't make sense for you to buy 2 x TM M&P9.

Yes - as you stated, beneficial fact of owning 2 x same pistols for sharing mags, but it's also beneficial to have two unique pistols that you both can swap here and there during game days.

-- If you settled for just one pistol now, get the M&P9, because biased. :)

No he said he wasn't.. I'd trust him as he did another 4 holsters for me with no issue.. I think it was more an issue of having excess kydex that was hot around the grip and then using too firm foam pads. A HiCapa grip is pretty thin so it was easily done. Still he replaced the grips for me so it all worked out in the end! 

I held both a month back and picked the HK45 over the M&P almost immediately. The M&P feels very cheap and plasticly like a toy, it also weights less than my poor *albatross* student wallet. 

I'm sure performance is likely similar between the 2, but the HK45 just feels way nicer to hold.

From what I have been told the real M&P itself is hardly the matte finish spectacular we think it should be and the weight of the TM when loaded is pretty close to the weight of the real M&P when empty. The HK45 is a while 120g off the unloaded real steel.

Though I would still say both really boil down to fit. They have the same 4-inch inner barrel, same basic hop and have about the same amount of felt recoil on Ultra. The only difference is grip, weight somewhat and trigger action really when they are compared.

'FireKnife'

Well.

I was hoping that this topic would make it an easy decision for me, but to be honest... it seems that it comes more down to feel?

From what I am gathering, they both have very similar performance and features.

Grrrr..I'll keep on watching and learning and listening here.

Thanks and I appreciate your comments that stayed on topic :)

Looking at support, it seems that the M&P has better support for after market parts, but perhaps that is just where I look?

Best bet is to go get your hands round both.

You will know which one is better. Hell even try the real gun as the general shape will be the same, once you know what one fits get the airsoft version of it as beyond that they are just two shells wrapped around the same reliable system.

'FireKnife'

FireKnife,

I think you nailed it....   Both the same on the inside, just the externals look different.

What would you say the aftermarket support is like for each one?  

Does one have more support, slides barrels, springs etc...

I have RS Glock 22 holsters, and am informed that the TM  M&P will fit.  Anyone know for sure (serpa and safariland)?

Kudos for even trying that shot. Wouldnt think about it. Don't really have anything else to add on the topic. Sorry.

The wind had calmed down that moment and AEGs were opening up all around me, so my single shot wouldn't have been heard.

Kudos to the guy for calling it!

FireKnife,

I think you nailed it....   Both the same on the inside, just the externals look different.

What would you say the aftermarket support is like for each one?  

Does one have more support, slides barrels, springs etc...

I have RS Glock 22 holsters, and am informed that the TM  M&P will fit.  Anyone know for sure (serpa and safariland)?

If the RS G22 has the same lower as the G17, the M&P9 will fit.

do your circle of airsoft friends have both for you to try out? Playing a game or two with each would let you make a better informed decision.

But what would I know, I did that and ended up with all 3! :D

From what I have been told the real M&P itself is hardly the matte finish spectacular we think it should be and the weight of the TM when loaded is pretty close to the weight of the real M&P when empty. The HK45 is a while 120g off the unloaded real steel.

Though I would still say both really boil down to fit. They have the same 4-inch inner barrel, same basic hop and have about the same amount of felt recoil on Ultra. The only difference is grip, weight somewhat and trigger action really when they are compared.

'FireKnife'

I love the DA of the HK45 and play with it more than the 9, roughly about 4 to 1.

I love the DA of the HK45 and play with it more than the 9, roughly about 4 to 1.

I personally can't stand DA/SA and use the Condition One carry on the HK45 instead (works very well, like a typical modern 1911). The advantage is though that should my idea for a pistol club take off it is a good test pistol to show two action types. Personally I just like consistency and short travel, long travel leads to jerked shots I find.

Still I find it odd that both my M&P and HK45 feel about the same kick wise and then my XDM just feels like a battering ram in the hand.

'FireKnife'

I personally can't stand DA/SA and use the Condition One carry on the HK45 instead (works very well, like a typical modern 1911). The advantage is though that should my idea for a pistol club take off it is a good test pistol to show two action types. Personally I just like consistency and short travel, long travel leads to jerked shots I find.

Still I find it odd that both my M&P and HK45 feel about the same kick wise and then my XDM just feels like a battering ram in the hand.

'FireKnife'

No arguments there regarding the long travel for DA but it has saved me numerous times when I have brief brain farts and forget to prep the 45 prior to a game. :stupid:  :D

Archived