Anyone know much about the PPS 870?

bankz5152

Morning,

Bought a PPS 870 a couple days ago and should arrive Tuesday. Idea being to make it very close to my real one and use the same gear. I know the airsoft shells should fit my RS Shell carriers but what about other parts?

Anyone know what parts are compatible and what are not? 

Probably looking to extend the magazine tube maybe +2 what can I use?

Also outer barrel may well extend that too, just so it matches up with the extended mag tube. 

Thanks

Not sure on compatibility. Isn't the PPS one meant to be a clone of the APS though? Which would mean it should be compatible with those parts. And I think the APS is quite compatible with RS stuff after some small modifications.. 

Either way quite interested on knowing the results. Will you be able to do a review or summary of the shotgun when it arrives? I've been eyeing one up for a while! 

Interesting! Yeah can do, ill do a write up of what RS parts off my 870 fit the PPS 870

Looks promising, looks like a fair few RS parts will fit.

Pump grip and tube assembly

Looks like the trigger group will fit too

Extended tubes

I doubt it but I wonder if my barrel will fit, easy peasy and wont cost me a penny! 

True just the barrel n bolt on a pump. Bolt wouldn't fit regardless and I doubt the barrel will and id loose the inner barrel.

Magazine tubes are fine, triggers fine, all other internal components are fine 

Nope, not at all. You can go on Brownells right now and buy one. Only accessories that go on your ticket are bullets (5.56 etc..), suppressors/moderators, slug ammunition.

I bought my +6 tube in Jan, didn't get my section 1 till March.

After all its just a threaded aluminium tube. 

You can't. 90% of the time the magazine tube is internally crimped making it impossible to load more than 2 rounds. If you buy a Sec 1 shotgun it will be as the manufacturer built it, generally 4+1 in case of an 870 but could be more Mossberg 590 JM is 8+1 from factory. 

Then you just buy a tube or anything else you like to extend it to a maximum of 14+1 I think, but I may be wrong. At that point anyway its stupid long and not very usable. 

If you transfer a Sec 2 shotgun to a Sec 1 licence it becomes a Section 1 Firearm and is removed from your Sec 2/SGC.

Fair enough!

It's just I had a cheap hatsan semi which was my pigeon gun, and that wasn't crimped! I would never have done it, but this is where my thinking for a mag extension was ticket only.

I could have ordered one no drama then and had a very illegal toy...

Edit, sorry for hijacking your thread :)

Thats why I said 90% lol it happens, a mates 1100 was not crimped at all. Just had a hunting rod... All down to trust really lol. Either way it still would have been a firearm if it holds more than 2+1!

No worries happy to clear it up! 

--------------

Now do the APS mag extensions fit the PPS? 

Awesome. I did look at the APS but by the time I was finished it was considerably more than my real one! PPS I picked up for £200 with a load of shells so perfect.

It'll get scratched anyway so that's not going to bother me in the slightest. 

First thing i'm doing is opening up the loading gate to increase loading speed and allow the load 4 method. 

Like so

IMG-20150426-WA0005_zpshb76ybnm.jpeg

(that isnt the finished item, it was neatened up, then went over it with wet & dry)

Then depending on how I get on with it more bits will come. 

Quick write up today, but ill get cracking on a proper review/comparison over the week. 

First off as mentioned the finish on the barrel and loading tube is horrendous, didn't think it would be this bad but its just terrible very shiny. However the receiver is excellent, quite close to the RS in terms of feel and colour actually. Trades are about 25% too big but it really doesn't matter...   

Bolt is spilt into two parts, with the main part housing the 'firing pin' being plastic. Soon as one is available id change this to steel or ali, just to have a more satisfying noise! 

Take down is similar to the RS but a massive pain, ill go into more detail in the full write up.

RS Compatibility 

RS Trigger Group - Drops in no mods needed however the AS bolt doesn't reset the hammer 100%. Rack it it resets but trigger isnt 'live' unless you give it a little giggle but does fire. I'll work out why soon enough. 

Magazine Tubes - Do not fit. The AS thread is much finer than the RS but a bit of PTFE/Electrical tape would easily solve this issue. Looks like the APS tubes are the same so going to fit one of those. 

Outer barrel - Does not fit. I suppose if you where so inclined you could modify the PPS 870 to accept one but then you run into firearms manufacturing laws etc which imo just isnt worth it. Though I think I will change the outer barrel for a 24" one, just need to find out if the APS outer barrels do fit... 

Stock - Drop in fit

Forend- Drops in but VERY tight

Entire Forend Assembly - Almost drop in, a small notch has to be cut out of the slide assembly to allow RS charging arms to fit. Took all of 2 mins and works considerably smoother than the AS bits 

Magazine Tube Spring - Drop in obviously. I will do some tests on this as the AS spring is VERY soft

Shells - About 0.5mm smaller in diameter than RS shells so minor modifications to things like Taccom loading gear is needed. Bit of tape sorted this for me. Interesting design and I think the standard orange shells would be able to take Co2. Internals are a machined cylinder which I expect is identical to the far more expensive purple ones. I will find out Sunday as a friend has the purple shells. 

One thing I have noticed is the sprung arms that keep the shells inside the tube are a little poorly designed, I need to sand a little off and loctite them in place for some added reliability. I also found the spring that keeps the lifter down is a little weak, going to stiffen this.

Thankfully the AS bolt does not fit in the RS and RS shells will not fit in the AS. So no legal issues there. 

Just got to check if RS Safetys, RS shell followers and RS sights fit, shall do this tonight. 

It does have an inner barrel which is a plus, going to experiment tonight see if I can modify an old tightbore to fit. Up the power a tad, I also think a rudimentary hop unit could be added, again experimentation required.  

Mates also got a Tanaka so can compare, but from what ive seen so far its not a direct clone of a Tanaka.

Looks like thanks to Arnies once again i can get the part made! Hopefully not too pricey...

Failing that ive contacted PPS asking for a replacement too.

In light of that I cracked on with the mods...

Everything I did I have done the same to my RS 870, 4000 rounds later and zero issues yet massively increased loading speed.

While I will do a small write on on how, its pretty simple and easy to do. Takes all of 20 mins with a rotary tool for a rough job, bit of extra elbow grease with some wet and dry and you will have a pro finish.

Main tip is to go slow, use a low/medium speed and be sure to mask of the whole body to prevent scratches etc...

First job was to chamfer the mag tube adapter thingy... 

20150506_220838_zps92lzzugo.jpg

Second was opening up the loading gate, basically you grind away the chamfered area the give you into a nice smooth open gate.

20150506_220818_zpse9doiaun.jpg

20150506_220825_zpsiyjp10b6.jpg

You also want to chamfer the inside/underside as well to facilitate loading better. 

Easy to understand if you look at a standard loading gate

magazine_loading_port.jpg

Finally sanding a shell shaped area out of the trigger housing 

20150506_220858_zpstbch5u2t.jpg

This gives the shells a feed ramp if trying to load 2 in at once, very helpful. Stops the second shell flying out the side. 

Obviously this is not an exact science so go as far as you want to and check loading, if a shell gets stuck have a look and where its jamming and sand it off! Careful not to go too far. Always go a little bit at a time.

This will work for any shell fed shotgun as well. 

• 7 months later...

Ive got the tanaka but if the pps is the same you can still get the tsc steel parts. There pricy but the tsc steel bolt kit and hammer are a must. I also installed a rs sear rs dog follower and rs forend tube also if you want a le folding stock the g&p 0ne is a direct fit. And as far as shell catchers go the pps one is fantastic. Bolts into the body pins supplied with the catcher and its on a hinge so you can clear stove pipes or breach load. The only part that i relay want to get my hands on is a replacement plastic chamber as the madbull shells do wear these ober time. I also has some steel pins made up at a machine shop. These are the part that the hammer strikes in the back of the bolt as they will deform over time. I also recomend lock titeing everything in the bolt to stop it from working its way loose. If you buy a tsc hammer set i found the original sear disconector to be a better fin than the tsc. Pps also make a steel one piece slide block that is cheaper than the tsc.

It does have an inner barrel which is a plus, going to experiment tonight see if I can modify an old tightbore to fit. Up the power a tad, I also think a rudimentary hop unit could be added, again experimentation required.  

I had my new PPS M870 apart last night to fix a minor problem and ended up giving myself an education by taking apart, basically, the entire gun.  To my surprise, the inner barrel already has a hop up system.  There is no nub, but there is a pre-formed bump in the rubber.  This hop up rubber is part number eleven in the manual.  The hop up is non-adjustable.

It should be possible to add a nub of some kind to increase the hop effect, which is minimal.  Getting a tight bore barrel to line up properly--with the hop window in the correct position--might be a bit of a chore.

• 1 month later...

I've been toying with the idea of getting a PPS 870 for a little while now, I like the idea of a shell ejecting shotgun, not for skirmishing, just for collection purposes. Is there any update on reliability? The gun won't be used that much, so is it worth getting, or is it likely to break easily and need upgrades?

I sent mine back.  Power is really lackluster.  I did see what I thought was too much wear considering the light use I gave it.  And if you do get one, I would advise Loc-titing the screws in the trigger box--one in mine kept coming loose and jamming the mechanism.  The front sight on mine was also terribly off--not sure how that could have happened.  There are cheap, steel upgrades available for it though.

I would recommend getting the APS 870 instead, although it is MUCH more expensive...

Archived