L85 A2

luninhk

No hint on price yet. To be honest how much can that be? Doesnt look anything too expensive in terms of bits etc.

I assume it attaches to the gearbox....how? no idea!

If that empty gearbox shell in the picture is part of the kit, it could require transplanting the entire contents of your current gearbox...so fitting could be pricey if you're paying someone else to do it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take it you mean it's not permitted on skirmish sites, rather than illegal?

Otherwise, Z1 shouldn't be selling it undowngraded, surely?

Cheers.

Z1 can sell it straight out the box due to being a company that deals with international orders, ie HK, JAP, USA et etc.

In some countries the FPS varies, some higher, some lower.

Technically, in the UK, it should comply with the firearms act, that is to say to be considered a toy gun rather than a firearm, the power of an airsoft weapon shoudlnt exceed 1.01 Joule.

For example, if you import an AEG from WGC for example, on customs clearance you are asked to confirm its muzzle velocity. If found to be more than that you will find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Always ensure your AEG's are downgraded or have a 1 Joule spring before shipping.

As for skirmishing, you may be asked to have your gun chronographed to check for fps. If so and your over, you may not be able to play until your AEG has been downgraded. Although I have no idea if many Airsoft Skirmish sites would be that strict, especially if its just a tad over.

The other point to make is that putting higher tension springs into an AEG, coudl possibly damage your gearbox and so forth. The strain over time coudl do more damage than good and may result in buying a new gun or major new parts.

If that empty gearbox shell in the picture is part of the kit, it could require transplanting the entire contents of your current gearbox...so fitting could be pricey if you're paying someone else to do it.

Until more information is given, I'm unsure what the deal is. To me it woudlnt make sense to create an empty gearbox so that you have to transplant your existing one into the new one.

Why not just create a new gearbox with the added bits and simply open the gun and replace? Far simpler in my opinion.

The pics dont give away too much so hopefully a more detailed account of what it does and works will arrive fairly soon. Not sure if Z1 knows yet or have been given details.

Until more information is given, I'm unsure what the deal is. To me it woudlnt make sense to create an empty gearbox so that you have to transplant your existing one into the new one.

Why not just create a new gearbox with the added bits and simply open the gun and replace? Far simpler in my opinion.

The pics dont give away too much so hopefully a more detailed account of what it does and works will arrive fairly soon. Not sure if Z1 knows yet or have been given details.

I'm purely speculating, but why put an empty gearbox shell in the picture otherwise? You need some way of connecting the movement inside the gearbox with the moving handle outside, so a new hole is probably required. I think the Guarder AK gbb bolt needs a hole cut in the top of the box?

I can think of at least three reasons why not to sell it as a complete replacement gearbox:

1. Cost. As you said yourself, the few bits in the picture shouldn't cost a great deal. But add in bushings, shims, gears, motor, hop unit, lube, labour, etc. and the final selling price would be a lot higher. It would certainly put potential buyers off, especially if they're paying for a load of parts that they already have. (Speaking as a total tightwad here :) ).

2. Upgrades. If somebody has upgraded their box in some way, the new box will obviously lack the gucci bits. My A2's motor failed within 750 rounds (as did a fair few other people's) and was replaced with a Marui one. I certainly don't want another Star motor! :angry:

3. Convenience. From Star's point of view, it must be far easier to churn out a few bits of plastic rather than entire gearboxes. Sure, fitting a drop-in replacement would be easier for many people (cost notwithstanding) but it's the dealers and the end-users who have to deal with that problem. From what I've heard so far, Star's attitude to their customers is somewhat...lacking? :blink:

We'll just have to suck it and see, I guess. Maybe we'll get all the options: bare kit, dealer-fitted kit and full drop-in replacement. That would please all of the people all of the time (as long as I can keep my Marui motor!)

We'll just have to suck it and see, I guess. Maybe we'll get all the options: bare kit, dealer-fitted kit and full drop-in replacement. That would please all of the people all of the time (as long as I can keep my Marui motor!)

If it has to be opened up and a transplant needs to take place, I'll do the same and replace my gearbox with a Marui! STAR's I have to say, even the so called "version 2" is just not as good as others on the market.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Im looking to get the new 130 Rds Magazine for the L85.

If anyone knows where I can get them and could clarify if they are the same as the single magazine that came with the rifle, that would be great.

Thanks, :)

Safety

EDIT: I found some at WGC for US $17 and what I think are the same at Zero One Airsoft for £17, however the ones at Zero One look more like the single mag that came with the rifle. Why, however, are they so much cheaper at WGC, that's what I want to know...

reagarding the blowback kit, this is the deal -

it comes with a new coking handle, gearbox and gearbox top plate. the new empty gearbox that comes with it has a slot cut out of the top of it, starting behind the cylinder and ending where the spring guide sits. The cocking handle has a notch which sits in this slot, so as the piston is pulled back it also pulls back the cocking handle. When the shot is fired, the cocking handle returns to its original position via its return spring.

If I was to fit one of these to a star sa80, I'd use a much stronger cocking handle return spring so that it dosnt look as if its out of sync on full auto like in the video.

P.S safetycatch - the rg mags on wgc are the same as the ones on Z1, only cheaper from wgc. Star are based in asia, where I don't know and the rrp on the rg mags is $17 so thats why wgc sell them for that. Z1 are more expensive due to import, duty and VAT charges

I very much doubt it mate, as these are metal and have already been released. if they where to be released in boxes, then they would be already.

having said that though, it is a possibility that star will. I just don't think its gonna happen personally

reagarding the blowback kit, this is the deal -

it comes with a new coking handle, gearbox and gearbox top plate. the new empty gearbox that comes with it has a slot cut out of the top of it, starting behind the cylinder and ending where the spring guide sits. The cocking handle has a notch which sits in this  slot, so as the piston is pulled back it also pulls back the cocking handle. When the shot is fired, the cocking handle returns to its original position via its return spring.

If I was to fit one of these to a star sa80, I'd use a much stronger cocking handle return spring so that it dosnt look as if its out of sync on full auto like in the video.

Ta for the info! Where do you find this out? I have been looking for ages on an update on the BB kit?

it works the same way as the guarder ak kit, but instead of having to modify your existing gearbox, star decided to provide a replacement gearbox shell with the slot pre-cut.

Theres nothing to it really, but the reults are very impressive indead. I just wish that the gearbox was metal, so it could withstand the added stress better. having said that, if this kit is cheap enough I may buy one to fit into my custom academy l85, since this gearbox can take a standard aeg motor opposed to the unique shape of the eg560 motor

I just thought I would ask one question, I have a STAR L85 A2 but due to having skirmished in urban settings for the last 2 months It has yet to see a skirmish (this will however change on the 26th tho :) ) now I have run a couple of thousand rounds or so through it and its working fine, The gear box on mine is holding up fine (especially since its been downgraded to 328fps from 400fps stock and the gear box is similar to my Star M249 which has had around 40000+ rnds put through it with no ill effects) All the shots are going where they should, no misfeeds, no alarming noises or smells etc. So all the dire predictions aside has anyone had one die on them or in any way break?

So all the dire predictions aside has anyone had one die on them or in any way break?

Nope, mineis just fine, although I will be upgrading mine with the NEW Blow Back Kit once released so I may decide to put a TM gearbox at that time.

Just for reliability's sake rather than poor performance and it breaking...

Archived