Decent Pc Games?

Arnie

Anyone know of a decent PC game that will keep me amuzed for a bit and provide stress management? :)

Looking for something new along the lines of Half-Life, DeusEx or SystemShock2.

I know Doom3 is out, but sadly it doesn't work on my system due to bugs in ID's engien that they haven't fixed yet, and seem to have a period to wait for HL2.

Sooo anyone got any thoughts?

i'm a huge game fanatic, it's 3 am and i'm still playing dod for hl. i say if u havnt already, try call of duty and/or splinter cell (series). good games they are. however, i'm going to wait until hl2 comes out until i spend some of my money. i cant think of any other good games right now but i'll get back to it later.

DeusEx 2 sucks, and thats putting it nicely. Horribly buggy game, I can play Doom3, but I can only get DeusEx2 up to 5fps...WEAK.

Dont waste your time with HalfLife and its offshoots, like DoD, CS, all that kiddy ###### ;)

Heres a list of REAL games you may like.

Halo

Call of Duty

Medal of Honor (any of them)

Splinter Cell

Command and Conquer (red alert and generals are my favs)

Far Cry

Just a small list.

Well if you only want to play in your spare time, get a C&C title, each mission or skirmish only lasts a couple hours. If you have more time, you MUST try FarCry.

Right now i've been playing F-Zero GX on GameCube....freaking INSANE speeds....

i'm a bit backward with new games...

cheap (and very good) games to kill time

total annihilation

warcraft series

starcraft

total war series: my fav... shogun obviously

rainbow 6 and delta force (i think the old ones are in the bargain sections now...)

i loved F-Zero... played the one on the SNES when it first came out, can't get enough of this game, even though I'm not a racing gamer.

While I don't like the War/Star/Ghost craft series, I see we atleast agree on RTS :)

Never could get into Rainbow 6 III, its a great game, just too generic for my tastes.

On a side note...I wish I could sleep, all I have is Arnies to pass the time....not that thats a BAD thing though!

Hidden and Dangerous 2 - great online play, and the single missions are excellent too. team tactics and quite impressive AI. excellent period weaponry, and a wonderful inventory system, not to mention bullet marks on the bodies where you shoot them, horribly realistic "rag-doll" physics, and random faces that contort in the enemy death throes into all kinds of nightmare inducing empty-eyed stares. You can shoot weapons out of hands, and helmets off heads.

nice easy numberpad based command structure to get your team mates to run to point "a", bark like a dog and roll over, then shoot nazi at point "b" who comes to investigate said barking noises.

come to think of it, you can just order your men to "follow me" and "fire on my lead" if you can't be bothered to be sneaky or etc.

Theres nothing quite like a perfectly executed assault on a building from four different entry points at the same time... Or sneaking through a silent forest crunching the snow underfoot, to suddenly hear your team-mates whisper in your ear "I see them, They're over there" and while you're looking about in panic, the squad member that saw the enemy soldier puts a bullet squarely in their head- making you jump out of your skin, as the echo rattles between the trees.

I think that Doom 3 is a touch over-rated, but the graphics make up for it, and far cry (been mentioned a few times above) is a wonderfully shiny game, but the enemy are all psychically linked, which really bleeps me off! You pop someone with a suppressed pistol, and as the body falls, you see men who were about half a kilometer away with their backs turned, pull out their rifles and start running up the hill towards you. (and you really can see that far- very shiny graphics!)

Arnie you said that you have Call of Duty but have finished it. It's a great game, but where it really shines is in multiplayer. Get online and have a play. I'm sure you'll be hooked.

Otherwise just go back to good old Counter-Strike by donwloading the latest version of Steam.

Or if you are up for a game which will keep you at home for hours on end you have to go with Planetside. You have to pay a monthly subscription for this game, but if you have the time to play it, it is the best game i have ever played. It is so addictive its crazy. Thats my word of warning. Choose with care. But HAVE FUN!

How about something like Conflict Desert Storm 1 or 2, or if it's been released yet, Conflict Vietnam? I'm sure i read somewhere that they've been released for PC. And if they haven't, i know for a fact that they're available on Xbox. If you're after a REAL classic, then i suggest one of Microsofts old XCOM games (still got terror from the deep on playstation 1/PS2)

oooh XCOM, now that takes me back. Reminds me of the days of things like original Dune, Chuck Yeager etc. Actually.. I seem to remember a game eons ago called Chucky Egg. I wonder if anyone's ported the bbc code for that yet.

Oooh: http://www.gjgames.com/chucky.htm damn, I used to play that game back when and games like Elite were the cutting edge

Oooh, Chucky-Egg! Nice one Arnie. I remember that one, back in the day when I had the time and the inclination to play games :)

A mate loaned me his "Action-Replay" cartridge. After 10 minutes of tweaking it, I could jump my little egg-collecting character right off the top of the screen. I still kept getting splatted though :(

Master-Blaster for the Commodore Amiga has to be the all time number 1 on any platform, just for pure playability. It was shareware too!

if you are into third person shoot and slay games get your hands on "bloodrayne". it was one of the very few games i did't get bored of. seriously, a cute vampire chick kicking some nazi *albatross* is just the kind of game one has to love ;)

btw arnie, if you have some spare time give dee a hug. not the loving kind of hug tough... :-/

doom is out atleast it is on this side of the pond if its not htere order it off of out amazon, and cod thats sweet. BF1942 is pretty cool too especcialy the dc mod. I feel special giving THE ARNIE OF ARNIES AIRSOFT video game advice!!!!

NO COUNTER STRIKE! I don't think a man in your position would like to ruin his reputation by playing such a crappy, crappy game.

Conflict Desert Storm is a terrible game as well.

Have you thought about Emulators and ROMs? Nothing like playing old school games for the price of nothing! :D (looks at his NES 900 rom collection) I could send it to you if you want.

I think the point to remember is that most folk (myself included) see games as a brief release from work and an occasional distraction. Computer games aren't a life. :)

Has to be said that I don't really find multiplayer stuff much fun online, much better to play on a lan where you can laugh at your friends in person. ;)

SOF is a good game... but the knife thing is a bit dodgey sometimes... you slice someone at the back of their head and they do a somersault?? happens all the time in the first mission in Prague...

i agree with arnie... LAN games are the best. get together with some mates ata net cafe or something and start rainbow 6, SOF or quake even... when we play no one takes anything seriously, just run around with an M60 spraying everything down... :lol:

now that you guys have reminded me of hidden and dangerous... I remember the first time I played HAD1. I placed an anti-tank mine on the ground by mistake and went to try and pick it up... :mellow:

Archived