US Navy digi

doc_newstead

banksster: Easy killer...I'm not one of those BS SEAL wannabes, so take your rhetoric down a notch. JKT and I have been having a civilized discussion about this.

I was on active duty in the 90's and stationed at both a standard Navy Training Facility (NTC Newport, where OCS, Naval War College, Naval Academy Prep School, Surface Warfare School and Naval Underwater Systems Command were located at that time) and I also worked at CBC Gulfport. During that time I had the pleasure of working with and or hanging out with a handful of guys who had been in the teams or in the sea bees as they went through the various training commands.

My point in this is that these guys are a regular part of the Navy, and yes they have different operational capabilities and requirements, but the Navy system doesn't make huge uniform exceptions for them, unless there is a damn good reason. You're right that the pics people see on the internet, on TV and in books are from training missions, but it doesn't make a heck of alot of sense not to use your standard kit for training in a real operation...the slightest differences could cause confusion and get someone killed (to be overly dramatic).

BTW All I was looking for was the last article you pointed out...there was no need to be so combative about it...

There seems to be a logic to looking at these new uniforms (i.e. ships are in ports which may be hostile and port areas are typically urban so the color scheme isn't that off the wall) but I'm not sure how ready the old traditional Navy will be to adopt something that looks so...land lubber-ish.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but it doesn't make a heck of alot of sense not to use your standard kit for training in a real operation...

Amen to that - "train hard, fight easy". Besides, the whole point of TRAINING is to get you ready for COMBAT. So of course, you don't suddenly switch over to something completely different, untested or unknown when the balloon goes up - that would be crazy.

Bottom line for me is - I don't really know the full explanation of why the Navy is looking at these blue/gray digi-cam uniforms. Its just my suspicion that somebody thought it would look cool and be more standardised with the other services if the Navy had a digi-camo uniform as well. All the stuff about stain resistance or blending in to the nightclub scenerey when they're ashore is just white-wash in my opinion.

Ahhh...you're of the opinion that they are going this way to be modern for the sake of being modern camp. As crazy as this sounds, you're probably more correct than you realize. The US Navy (to a greater degree IMHO) like most military organizations has a rigid cast system (ossifers / chiefs / enlisted guys) and also two distinct philosophical camps. On one side you have traditionalists, who will hate these uniforms simply because the are new, but who have been gradually loosing influence as the Pentagon has moved toward a policy of "jointness", and the technophiles (including the nuclear and aviation communities) which seems to want to adopt anything more high-tech for it's own sake.

The Navy's decision to commotion and deploy a new "Special Operations Ship" is a classic example of this trend. The Techies also have more appeal among the undecided junior officer corps, because a new class of ships creates a whole new opportunity for command --- more ships mean more positions open for promotion to Captain (O-6).

Given this trend, who knows, we may actually see this type of uniform in the fleet in the near future...who would have thought it...

Tell you what, the old time chiefs are gonna be ###### :)

Here is the best way I can think of to break it all down:

The Navy is getting new uniforms no matter what.

So look at it like this:

Main argument:

Sailors and other personal think that using a camouflage design will be created a more modernized military look and be more professional.

Supporting arguments:

Staying modern with other branches.

Longer wear time.

Hides stains and wrinkles.

Etc etc etc... make sense? It's just like, "Well hey we need new uniforms..." "Hey lets do camo like everyone else!" "Alright well it has more pros than cons lets do it."

Oh what? You want me to whip out those top secret mission pictures and post them all over the net? Im willing to bet that almost every picture you have seen of SEALs has been training missions, and not real world operations. Do you think are military is that stupid to deny one of the elite special operation teams from choosing the best camouflage? Seriously, think. SOCOM has a virtually unlimited budget, they can get anything they want.

Don't try and be a ###### with me. What about the USMC? Are they not the United State's most elite large combat force, yet until about six years ago some Marines were still being issued M16A1s, were still using outdated and used ALICE gear, and still using the PRC radios from Nam/Gulf War? C'mon, think. And why would the US NAvy SEALs be afraid of training in camo they would actually use? MARPAT/digital camo is no secret, so why would the SEALs be scretive about using it? Please, almighty *beep*, explain this too me. You OBVIOUSlY <_< know everything about every US special forces/special operations capable unit ever, so please, enlighten me.

Don't try and be a ###### with me. What about the USMC? Are they not the United State's most elite large combat force, yet until about six years ago some Marines were still being issued M16A1s, were still using outdated and used ALICE gear, and still using the PRC radios from Nam/Gulf War? C'mon, think. And why would the US NAvy SEALs be afraid of training in camo they would actually use? MARPAT/digital camo is no secret, so why would the SEALs be scretive about using it? Please, almighty *beep*, explain this too me. You OBVIOUSlY <_<  know everything about every US special forces/special operations capable unit ever, so please, enlighten me.

Wah wah wah... cry me a river.

OMG LOOK!!! IT SEALS IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN WOODLAND!!!

4-vi.jpg

OMG NO WAY LOOK AT THIS ONE!!! ITS THE WHOLE GANG!!!

9-vi.jpg

AHHHHHHHH THE ABOMINANLE SEAL-MAN!!!

103-vi.jpg

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SEAL DOING??? DOESNT HE KNOW THAT IF HE ISNT WEARING HIS STANDARD WOODLAND THAT HE TRAINED IN, HE MAY STICK OUT AND GET SHOT!!!

135-vi.jpg

So what were you saying? The USMC, yea sure they are the larget elite combat squad, does that mean they are the bestest ever? No, if they were we wouldnt have special forces now would we? Im pretty sure the military doesnt spend half a million dollars training each SEAL, and then tell them they cant choose what they want to wear into combat. "Sorry guys, we ran out of funding and you just arent that special. Your going to have to wear your woodlands out in the sand, and dont get them too dirty because you have to wear them in the snow next month too." Cmon, think. Oh and guess what, SEALs do train in other camo's than woodland... want proof? Here: http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/US_Navy_SEALs

Dont challenge me. :pirate:

Wah wah wah... cry me a river.

OMG LOOK!!! IT SEALS IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN WOODLAND!!!

4-vi.jpg

OMG NO WAY LOOK AT THIS ONE!!! ITS THE WHOLE GANG!!!

9-vi.jpg

AHHHHHHHH THE ABOMINANLE SEAL-MAN!!!

103-vi.jpg

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SEAL DOING??? DOESNT HE KNOW THAT IF HE ISNT WEARING HIS STANDARD WOODLAND THAT HE TRAINED IN, HE MAY STICK OUT AND GET SHOT!!!

135-vi.jpg

So what were you saying? The USMC, yea sure they are the larget elite combat squad, does that mean they are the bestest ever? No, if they were we wouldnt have special forces now would we? Im pretty sure the military doesnt spend half a million dollars training each SEAL, and then tell them they cant choose what they want to wear into combat. "Sorry guys, we ran out of funding and you just arent that special. Your going to have to wear your woodlands out in the sand, and dont get them too dirty because you have to wear them in the snow next month too." Cmon, think. Oh and guess what, SEALs do train in other camo's than woodland... want proof? Here: http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/US_Navy_SEALs

Dont challenge me.  :pirate:

You obviously misunderstood me. Please, show me the point in time where I stated the SEALs could only wear US Tri color woodland? You say the SEALs are allowed to wear what they want, yet I haven't seen enough variety in their camo patterns to believe this. Same goes with their weapons: If they have an "unlimited" budget, then why are their boundaries within their armament? Why are they limited to using the weapons that SOCOM says they have too? I want some answers, 'cause all you have done is told me to cry a river and then posted some pics which didn't even show up for me. Once again, I want to know where I said that the USN SEALs were limited to US Tri color woodland cammies, because the sarcasm in the quoted post says that I said that, which I didn't. C'mon.

Also, when did I say the USMC was the best ever? I stated they were the best large scale combat force the US has to offer. If you want to argue that, good luck.

BTW, you don't seem to know what the hell you are doing right now, and the "Don't challenge me" got a giggle out of me. Thanks for that. :)

No, no one said that bro...

but you're pretty opinionated for a guy who's never been there and done that.

Best of luck with BUDS...its not impossible, just really hard, and plenty of guys have made it through before you :)

Best bet is be super prepared physically and don't make a target of yourself (Especially at Boot...the CC's like to screw with guys who are trying for BUDS). Keep your head down and your ears open and you'll do just fine.

I give up. I am all wrong, you are all gods and I know nothing. I should be ashamed of myself for ever thinking I know anything about SEALs.

What the hell do I know... I'm jut a DEP'er waiting to go to BUD/S.

No one ever said you were wrong, you just misunderstood me, insulted me, then gave me no proof of what you were saying. Which, as I understood it, was that the USN SEALs could use ANY, as in ANY(flecktarn, apenflage, digital, multicam, etc) camo they wanted. I said they could only use patterns that the USN had adopted. You showed me no proof of the SEALs being allowed to wear whatever pattern they wanted, yet still attempted to ridicule me. Just because you are going to go through BUD/S, doesn't mean you know everything about the Navy and the SEALs. BTW, good luck with BUD/S. Its all in your head, don't let it get to you. :)

I was in the Navy and I for one HATED every regular uniform I had.

Luckily, I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier so I got to wear BDU pants & a long sleave "jersey". If I were still in I'd be happy to have any BDU pattern to wear instead of the stupid dungarees or working uniforms.

I think it's kind of nice that the Navy wants imput from the sailors who will actually be wearing the uniforms.

• 2 months later...
I was in the Navy and I for one HATED every regular uniform I had. 

Luckily, I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier so I got to wear BDU pants & a long sleave "jersey".  If I were still in I'd be happy to have any BDU pattern to wear instead of the stupid dungarees or working uniforms.

I think it's kind of nice that the Navy wants imput from the sailors who will actually be wearing the uniforms.

Not sure if it is al that relevant any more but I have seen this up close a few times. The "BLUE" Woodland pattern is done, she was bested by the digi...and the Digi has 2 versions, one called predominantly Blue...and it is God Awful, and the Perdominately Grey...the latter is aight. It still has blue in it but could actually be used in an Urban theater if pressed too. But like people have mentioned it is realy just to replace the current working uniform the Utilities (which make us look like freaking Janitors...god I really hate utilities...for all you old school sailors that is Dungeress.) The DOD wants all the services in a BDU uniform and the Coast Guard has the Solid Navy BDU's alreay.

I saw the Digies on the MCPON Terry Scott when he made a tour of the Detainment Facility Camp Delta in GTMO. I was on duty that day in the camp and we me with him down in the Camp proper during turnover for the next shift. It looked alright, way better than the Joradanian Naval Digies. the big battle for Task Force unifrom (Yeah thats the real name) is Black Warrior Leather boots i.e no shine like the Army and Marine corps or traditional leather boot. I am hopeing for the former here, I hate polishing my boots.

But from a military police standpoint, Ihope we remain in Woodland BDU's or wear MARPAT when we switch, unlike the average sailor I deploy on the ground, I deal with ATFP, and I play nice with Al Queda. So Blue...yeah it would suck for me.

Not sure if it is al that relevant any more but I have seen this up close a few times. The "BLUE" Woodland pattern is done, she was bested by the digi...and the Digi has 2 versions, one called predominantly Blue...and it is God Awful, and the Perdominately Grey...the latter is aight. It still has blue in it but could actually be used in an Urban theater if pressed too. But like people have mentioned it is realy just to replace the current working uniform the Utilities (which make us look like freaking Janitors...god I really hate utilities...for all you old school sailors that is Dungeress.) The DOD wants all the services in a BDU uniform and the Coast Guard has the Solid Navy BDU's alreay.

I saw the Digies on the MCPON Terry Scott when he made a tour of the Detainment Facility Camp Delta in GTMO. I was on duty that day in the camp and we me with him down in the Camp proper during turnover for the next shift. It looked alright, way better than the Joradanian Naval Digies. the big battle for Task Force unifrom (Yeah thats the real name) is Black Warrior Leather boots i.e no shine like the Army and Marine corps or traditional leather boot. I am hopeing for the former here, I hate polishing my boots.

But from a military police standpoint, Ihope we remain in Woodland BDU's or wear MARPAT when we switch, unlike the average sailor I deploy on the ground, I deal with ATFP, and I play nice with Al Queda. So Blue...yeah it would suck for me.

One thing I forgot to mention on this subject that made me chuckle abit, the navy is now going to have the "ACE" on the uniform on the same breast pocket as the USMC MARPAT's. I guess these Navy would be NAVPAT? LOL...anyway the "NAVPAT's" ACE is the Anchor,Constitution, and Eagle....basically we want our own EGA now...Esprit Decorps and all that.

According to the latest Navy Times, the final designs are with the CNO. He will choose what pattern we get.

Nice, I haven't picked up a Navy Times in a bit. Last I knew the current Task Force uniform fight was the Warrior Leather Boot or traditional boots. Hope we go with the no shine personally.

Slightly off topic, but only slightly, what camo do Navy MAs wear, if any? would they be having to wear this blue stuff too? Im just curious, because I'm a DEPer also, and, if my job transfer goes through, Ill be going to MA school, so I kinda want to know what I'd be wearing on a regular basis.

Slightly off topic, but only slightly, what camo do Navy MAs wear, if any?  would they be having to wear this blue stuff too?  Im just curious, because I'm a DEPer also, and, if my job transfer goes through, Ill be going to MA school, so I kinda want to know what I'd be wearing on a regular basis.

Silly, I am a Navy MA..HOO_YAH! Anyway we wear old style Marine Woodland BDU's. 8-point covers, and the such. You will find a variety of different duty rigs and the Rig you use in school is different than what you will use. PM me if you want any info I have been active duty for a little while. As of right now it is still under debate whether we will be wearing the Blue BDU's or still keeping our Woodland's.

i wonder if the the NWU (navy work uniform) will be standard issue when the navy finally has their infantry setup. i cant see sailors running into combat with these uniforms

Nah the Navy infantry is dead in the water, The MARINES had a hissy fit and we canned the idea. Riverine force is still running hot so that's a bonus..the NWU (I like the call it NAVPAT to screw the Jarheads I know) prolly won't be worn by Riverine and the what's not, they will wear regualr BDU's. If the NWU is half as comfortable as MARPAT, I am gonna be in heaven when we get 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

It's offical. We are getting the blue digi camo. The offical message says that will be the standard working uniform, with woodland and desert digis for those units that need them, i.e. Seabees. Shore-duty sailors will get non-shine black suede boots, and ship-based will get regular shine black leather.

Archived