Star M249 Para Examined...

War IV, UN Company and Den Trinity all have stock. Just ordered two :P Batteries don't seem to be listed yet though but probably best to strike when the iron's hot and snap these up whilst you can. Something tells me their going to be just a little bit popular........

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Thanks to Scott for doing the repair work**

Hi All

If ya read my post on i think page 57 about my Star M249 MKII - you might be interested in this little post about the repair that has now been done.

Ordered hop up rubber from WGF and got a new Piston/Piston Head from WGC.

Installation was pretty straight forward, not to much hassle working with the mech-box. Plenty of grease etc. rebuilt it and fired the box out the gun and worked a treat.

The Hopup was interesting, the SAW has never had any hop since new, couldn't really work out why, then it was discovered. The barrel was upside down, so either incorrect fitting from factory, or the barrel had been rotating when the gun had been firing. So in fact the grub screw intended to be used for adjusting the hop was actually been used as a barrel retaining screw, and keeping the barrel in place. Got all that sorted, new rubber in place and re assembled the SAW.

Rebuild of the cosmetics was fine until we got to that darn little spring, the barrel release lever. What a pain the backside - anyway, once installed - was time for some test firing..

1st thing that was noticed, wow - it had hopup - and way way to much - once the hope was set, it' fired pretty sweetly.

Was actually nice to get this gun performing right....

Anyways, i've waffled enough.....

Thanks all ....

oh ps .. eheh ... we moved the battery into the stock, wow what a difference to the balance of the weapon, damn thing feels so much more balanced, i'd recommend anyone doing that, but be careful, my large battery that i was using, was too big (7cells) so had to remove some of the batteries wrapping to thin it down... Also theres 4 little lugs that you might need to remove, good old dremel!

:D:D

Got about 65,000 rounds through mine with a few hicups (box mag issues only), until it finally broke the tappet plate.

Damn.

Trying to get a couple just in case it breaks again. I wonder if this was due to excessive dry firing from when I loaned the gun to a friend who couldn't get it to work.

I have to admit. . . taking the g/b out is super easy, and the fact it it is clear makes trouble shooting damn easy.

My M249 is giving me nothing but trouble lately.

First the boxmag jammed, then today it started making a weird noice, dont know what caused it cause when I looked at it when I got home, there was nothing wrong(and it suddenly fired fine)

I am guessing it was due to the fact that the piston has broken a few teeths and the gears couldnt get a grip or something like that.(has anyone heard of that before?)

Oh and regarding the question of being able to put a metal feed tray cover on the STAR, it is possible. I got a CA cheap of ebay, and with enough dremeling it will fit however the locking mechanism must be changed(it is completely different on the CA. Still havent got around to fixing that, so in the meantime I just use som tape to hold the feed tray cover down :P )

(*Edit, oops forgot to log into my own account(this is Gundrosen writing)

For a support weapon?

No thanks.

No problem with that, I've been using a 8.4V 1800mah and 8.4V 2000mah for a while now and it works perfect, dont think that the fact that it's 100mah less will do much aof a difference ;)

Edited by Larsen

No problem with that, I've been using a 8.4V 1800mah and 8.4V 2000mah for a while now and it works perfect, dont think that the fact that it's 100mah less will do much aof a difference ;)

Well - when you have to change your battery - I'll be laughing as I continue with my 4200mAh.

I read this thread over and over again befor I got one of these and finaly decided to take the chance, after openong it I loaded it and fired into the box in came in. man did it sound great. so I go running outside and....nothing.

after 3 hours I realize I have a jam, in the hopup chamber. while removing the baddly lodged bb, and being super carefull I tore off the rear-most edge of the bucking. with that spring we shouldn't mention I was still getting a fare amount of range, I now an having the worst time finding the post describing how to remove the hopup. I think I can figure that out but I must know are you all putting teflon between the inner barrel and bucking?

or between bucking and hopup?

thanks everyone for your input

and thank you static for another very helpfull AEG review/breakdown.

you taught me how to work on an AEG with the UTG rewire guide. thankyou very much for saving me tons of cash for upgrades, the need for repairs have been minimal even though I only know what you have shown me. I guess I haven't made too many mistakes.

thanks

hello all, cant be arsed to look at the whole thread to see if this has come up befor.

but does any one know of a air nozzel other than STARS own that fits the m249.

air is escaping around the air nozzel, so a new nozzel or cylinder head is needed.

If you clearly admit you can't be arsed to look and help yourself do you think other people will be keen to help you?

Have you tried searching the topic for "air nozzle" I jus did it quick and it brought up 3 pages of results from this thread (search bar just at bottom of page)

cheers for your helpfull reply tiff. just thought id get a quick responce from some one whos had a similar problem.

any ways, been doing some research, ive found that star piston heads are a smaller diameter to TM, ICS, systema piston heads. but star use a bigger O-ring to make up the difference, as the cylinder appears to be the same size.

ive used teflon tape around the star piston head (remember to clean off all cylinder grease as it affects teflon tape) which has made it completely air tight. how ever as soon as i put the air nozzel on the compresion goes.

ive tried putting plenty of cylinder grease around the piston head tube and inside the air nozzel. but it is not effective. as it all dissapears up the barrel, and soon compression is lost again,

because star air nozzels dont use O-rings, unlike systema ones which do.

if any one knows of an air nozzel with an O-ring that fits please let us know. or if any one knows a way to make the star air nozzel more air tight?

hope your all haveing more fun with your m249's than i am.

all the best

Dan

I'll see if I can remember everything:

RS MKII Stock

RS Pistolgrip

TOP Front sight

CA Rear Sight

CA metal feed tray cover

Guarder PARA flashhider

G&P RAS

I also have a guarder charging handle, but I am having some trouble installing that.

I also need some lockpins for the feedtray cover(the STAR ones wont work) And I might redo some of the weathering, but overall I see this as pretty completed :)

If your struggling to find a suitable battery to fit inside the new Star Minimi Patrol Pack (seeing as the 8.4v 1700mah they advise isn't available yet), a friend and I have had some custom batteries made by Jeremy at Strikalite and he's now made them available on his site aswell

www.strikalite.co.uk (Product ID: 695)

695.jpg

Better news is they are 2000mah instead of 1700 too! :)

I'll see if I can remember everything:

RS MKII Stock

RS Pistolgrip

TOP Front sight

CA Rear Sight

CA metal feed tray cover

Guarder PARA flashhider

G&P RAS

I also have a guarder charging handle, but I am having some trouble installing that.

I also need some lockpins for the feedtray cover(the STAR ones wont work) And I might redo some of the weathering, but overall I see this as pretty completed :)

Gundrosen,

How difficult was it to get a metal feed tray cover to fit? What modification (if any) did you have to do to either the receiver or the feedcover?

Thanks