Windows security updates

Arnie

When I switched off last night, my PC started downloading the updates. I got a message not to switch off my PC, as it was downloading. I decided to stick around and make sure it switched off automatically (like it said it would)...

...I woke up on the sofa at 6:30 this morning, and the damn thing was still going.

Actually if you would read the security reports...

Firefox is more vunerable then IE.

Problem is, the majority of people still use IE, thusly there will be more holes found, and exploited since hackers can get to more people - because more people use IE.

Pretty simple law of numbers, same reason why Mac OS and Linux aren't targeted nearly as much as Windows - 95% of the world uses a windows based machine.

Which is a hacker going to target? 5% or the world? or 95%? Think of it as a business: they always go for the bigger sum.

Only way Firefox protects you is:

1. Using different technology, which means traditional holes/ways of spotting holes doesn't work.

2. Putting you into a different class, a smaller one, which is thusly less targeted.

Surely you use AIM, YIM, ICQ, MSN, something? Well those are even bigger holes then IE.

How I know? This made front page yahoo news not-too long ago. As well, it's just simple knowledge in security books.

And you are using that to counter my statement?

So you're saying using TWO browsers, each with different vulnerabilities and varying degrees of being targetted, will keep me safer?

I wasn't saying "You should all use Firefox to be safer"

And yes all software has holes - the difference between IE and Firefox is.. Firefox works and tries to not have holes (also won't bring down your operating system if it crashes)

Pleae refrain from talking to me like a moron in future, the reasons you state DO MAKE FIREFOX SAFER. Regardless of the reason. It's not set in stone - but that's fine - Firefox tells me when it needs to be updated and there will always be even more minority browsers to migrate to if Firefox becomes the most targetted.

One thing you should do, especially if you start paraphrasing, is post a link to a source. If you can't do that, the credibility of your knowledge is questionable. Plus, I will always take the word of a legitimate source over a random forum posting.

Just to see what you're talking about, I did a search of Yahoo news for "Firefox Security". Nothing even close to what you're talking about came up. They're about how well Firefox is doing, and bugs that their beta version has.

Archived