Who says the FAMAS is ugly?

Doug

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard elsewhere on this forum that if you want to get a barrel that's significantly longer than the original, you need to replace the cylinder as well (otherwise it doesn't have the volume to push the BB all the way down the barrel without the BB slowing). Does anybody know where I can find out which cylinders are suitable for which barrels?

47 cm + 12 cm = 59 cm, so I figure the best barrel would be the KM M16A1/VN/A2/Steyr TN Barrel Long 550mm , or the KM PSG-1 TN Barrel 590mm . Either would do, just need to know if the cylinder in the FAMAS needs changing (might not with the first one since it's not that much longer than the FAMAS barrel?)

no... you do not have to change the cylinder... you just have to do that if you got a cylinder with a hole in... FAMAS does not have that hole...

i had a psg1(590) in my rpk without any problems atleast ...

http://world.guns.ru/assault/famas_g2_all.jpg

Now THAT g2 sniper version is SOOO hot!

Yeah, I know what you mean; it's that picture that inpired me to do this Photoshop! It's a shame there isn't a G2 conversion kit for the FAMAS commercially available ...

That way you'd have a gun that still looks like a real one.

You should be fine with the barrel to cylinder volume. I use M16/AUG barrels with P90 g/bs and don't have any problems - I taped the cylinder port with electric tape. Actually, I gained about 20-30 fps with the taped cylinder as opposed to without.

Of course this is a different g/b. I have no experience with the FAMAS g/b.

I like the look of no charging handle and no bi-pod. Lean and mean looking.

If you are going to use the G36 furniture - you should also go with the new 'split' flash hider. I think those things look good.

What about using an AK mag? It would be nice to have the large ammo capacity, and the curve would bring and intesting look to the profile. Otherwise I would design a custom box mag, perferably one that is auto-winding. I can't imagine the mag is easy to wind when it located there.

that photoshop image is out of scale.  the g36 handle is considerably taller than the famas handle.

Are you sure?

These two images are to scale with each other (they're not the images I used for the photoshop, cos I can't find them, doh):

famas_scale.jpg

g36_scale.jpg

You can tell they're to scale because 757/998 = about 0.76

The image widths are 500 and 383 pixels; 383/500 = about 0.76

I got the lengths from Modern Firearms & Ammunition

Here are the handles from these two pictures side by side:

handles.jpg

Do you have both the FAMAS and the G36 handle kit? If so, could you give me the measurements so I can fix the Photoshopped picture?

Hmm, this seems to be the place of FAMASness so I'll ask my question here. After christmas I am getting a TM FAMAS. However I want to get an M203 for it. Will the mini pistol grenade launchers fit on the SV? Will the standard size fit on the F1 or the SV? I like the grip of the SV, but wish it had the bipod.

Looks like it should be quite simple to fit the bipod legs to the SV, if you can get hold of them:

Inside the Famas handguard are two large nuts that hold the sling hooks in place. I suppose that it's possible to replace it with the bipod as both Famas' have the same body type (it's only the handguard, grenade sight, barrel and bipod which are different)

Wow, that looks really really good, simple yet stunning! You should definetely go for it.

As for mounting the G36 handle, I can tell you it's very much possibly, as I've done exactly that with a G36C handle/rail.

You can actually reuse some of the old FAMAS sights for building a mount, and then use plasticard for the rest. Things fit uncannily well actually :) If you are interested I could take a few detal shots of the mount I built?

As for switching the inner barrel that isn't a problem either, the real problem would be fitting an outer barrel, but that should be possible if you get a king arms suppressor mount and some kind of threaded outer barrel extension.

For the charging handle you should get one that looks like a G36 one. You can get metal ones now, but it should be relatively straight-forward to wcratch build it from plasticard.

Wow, that looks really really good, simple yet stunning!

If you are interested I could take a few detal shots of the mount I built?

the real problem would be fitting an outer barrel, but that should be possible if you get a king arms suppressor mount

For the charging handle you should get one that looks like a G36 one. You can get metal ones now, but it should be relatively straight-forward to wcratch build it from plasticard.

Cool, thanks! Some photos of what you've done would be great. I'm going to ask a few dumb questions now:

What's a king arms suppressor mount? And what's plasticard? Could you put up some links? :)

Glad you liked the pic!

Hardcoil-

I wouldn't mind seeing some detailed pics of the mounts. I have the temptation to do this in the future.

Plasticard is exactly that, plastic card, I've used it in model making and such but for much smaller projects.

Not sure about the king arms thing, but I've seen an adaptor for having a suppressor right up agains the receiver. 01 have it, made by Laylax.

Cheers

no rigid, but easily cut and filed, takes paint easily too. You could pile it up to make a block, bolt/screw it onto the gun and then bolt/screw the rail on to that?

In my mind I thought maybe getting an aluminium sheet putting it over the entire top of the receiver, small block at front, larger at back, rail on that?

OK, here we go.

Here's one from the top:

famasmount1.jpg

And from the side:

famasmount2.jpg

All the white stuff is plasticard (styrene sheet). I started by cutting up the FAMAS front sight and screwing that on in the back. By chance a protrusion on this fits snugly into the groove that the FAMAS cocking handle uses to go back and forth. This is a good thing, because that means that everything are at the right angles, and that the rail will be parallel with the barrel. I then just added a thin sheet of plasitcard on each side, , and the rail fil snugly on top. From then on, I build the rest of the mount from plasticard. This is really easy once the position of the rail is established by using the sight thingie. I made mine a little high as you can see, because I wanted to be able to slide the rail in from the back. The rail has also been cut in the back, but that's because I want a cocking handle there.

Edit: Ooops it's actually the FAMAS REAR sight, not the front one that's used.

Here is how it looks with the rail attached:

famasmount3.jpg

MAN I hope this gun will look a lot better when painted black :blink:

Yeah, it looks just as good as my Phtoshopped one, only real!

One question though: from all the plasticard on the front it looks like you've needed to remodel quite a bit of the receiver. Was this essential, or did you just want to achieve a different look? Cos I assumed just cutting off the handle where it joins the rest of the gun and sticking something else in its place wouldn't take as much work ...

I'd love to see the gun as a whole to get a proper feel of how well that other g36 handle looks, could you post a zoomed-out pic?

Archived