Vietnam SF loadout

screamin_weasel

When I said accuracy I meant in the sense of an accurate depiction of the equipment used at the time (i.e. he's not bothered if it's not what someone in ERDL would have used), rather than how it fires. :D

Seriously Weasel, check out FNG: they look pretty good, and some of their gear is cheaper than SoF.

Edit: Just realised, the name "Seriously Weasel" sounds cool.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol "seriously weasel"

im going to look at all the UK sites i have been given links to, and price up accordingly.

im also going to get in touch with some re-enactors and see where they get their kit from.

am i right in thinking Green Berets are 5th Special Forces ?

am i right in thinking Green Berets are 5th Special Forces ?

"Green Berets" is the nickname of all US Army Special Forces Groups (becuase they wear a green beret). The 5th Special Forces Groups (a Group being roughly equivalent to a regular Brigade) had operational responsibility for the South-East Asia region, and the 10th Special Forces Group had operational responsibility for Western Europe.

Over the years, there have been further Groups added to the active roster and the geographical coverage has been swapped around a bit too.

In the US Army, "Special Forces" (capitalised) are officially only the Green Berets. Rangers, LRRPS, SEALS, Marine Recon, etc. are collectively known as Special Operations Forces and they, plus some Air Force units are all now part of the unified Special Operations Command (SOCOM).

Nowadays, people also generically use "special forces" (lower case) when referring to any kind of elite, special operations type of unit - like commandos, rangers, SAS, Spetznaz, etc.

i think SPR's are 7.62 LJ.

i'm compiling a list now of what i need, and where im getting it from for cheapest. :D

edit - im trying to find out which SF were operating in Vietnam, so i can search for the relevant patches. but i cant find anywhere that says, so if somebody can help it would be great.

i think SPR's are 7.62 LJ.

i'm compiling a list now of what i need, and where im getting it from for cheapest.  :D

edit - im trying to find out which SF were operating in Vietnam, so i can search for the relevant patches. but i cant find anywhere that says, so if somebody can help it would be great.

Real deal, I take it?

We don't want no fake stuff now do we? :lol:

here is my list. i havent taken into account any postage costs though.

ITEM SHOP PRICE

Tigerstripe BDU Shirt Moore’s Militaria 26.22

Tigerstripe BDU Trouser Moore’s Militaria 26.22

Tigerstripe Boonie Hat Moore’s Militaria 11.65

M56 Suspender / Harness FNG Supplies 6

M56 Pistol Belt FNG Supplies 10

M56 Butt Pack Soldier of Fortune 10

M56 Ammo Pouch FNG Supplies 6 x 3 or 4

M56 Compass Pouch Soldier of Fortune 5

M56 1 qt Canteen Soldier of Fortune 6

M56 Canteen Cover FNG Supplies 6

M16 Canvas Sling Moore’s Militaria 5.83

Label set (name/ US Army) Moore’s MIlitaria 2.33

SF patches ? ? 6

prices in GBP (my keyboard pound sign is shagged)

FMJ - its as real as i cuold find. im not gonna find any real Tigerstripe anywhere, so repro is the best i can do, and i have specified as much issue webbing as possible, as not only is it more real, because it has been used it looks better.

5th Group.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Army/Spec...es/default.html

http://www.thespecialforce.com/

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/BOOKS/Vietnam/90-23/90-23C.htm

http://www.sfahq.com/Special_Forces/Groups/5th_SF_Group/

ok these are 12' figures but their still a good guide into your sf loadout.

instead of m1956 ammo pouch you can also use canteen covers for storing your mags, those were prefered by some sf because they can carry more mags than the regular pouches.

MACV-SOG

http://www.galerie-k.net/combat12/cfe/cfe2...n_vietnam02.htm

SEAL

http://www.galerie-k.net/combat12/cfe/cfe2...n_vietnam02.htm

Green Beret

http://www.galerie-k.net/combat12/collecti...green_beret.htm

FFS.

i set my post out all nice and well spaced so it was easy to read, and it gets *fruitcage*ed up when it gets posted. <_<

FMJ - but surely the M67 harness wouldnt work with M56 pouches (i assume thats the point of having different designated kit)

JKT1 - yet again you have surpassed the common level of interweb intellignece. cheers dude.

7Z - lol they actually look quite good. whetehr its accurate or not i dont know, butit looks cool :D

FFS.

i set my post out all nice and well spaced so it was easy to read, and it gets *fruitcage*ed up when it gets posted.  <_<

FMJ - but surely the M67 harness wouldnt work with M56 pouches (i assume thats the point of having different designated kit)

JKT1 - yet again you have surpassed the common level of interweb intellignece. cheers dude.

7Z - lol they actually look quite good. whetehr its accurate or not i dont know, butit looks cool  :D

No.

The pouches are fastened on the belt :P

You could pm whitedingo or look in the vietnam pics thread to see the '67 suspenders.

Hello All:

I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here in the States, the Vietnam Green Beret Loadout is a fairly common one. If you want to try a bit of a unique twist you could do a "Mike Force" Advisor loadout. These guys lead groups of Chinese and Montanyard tribesmen for the CIA. A Typical unit would consist of one American advisor (a sergeant or senior nco) using U.S. gear and weapons (although occasionally they would carry an AK...cool to add a bit of variety to your loadout from time to time) leading a bunch (sometimes as many at 50) of tribesmen and ex-viet cong.

You've got your Tigerstripes already, and the webing you've picked is fine.

The key is the patches:

Use black name tapes with yellow stitching for:

Right side: Name Left Side: MIKE FORCE

Above the name you can put South Vietnamese Jump Wings

Above MIKE FORCE: US style para wings (patch), and Combat Infantryman's Badge.

No Rank whatsoever.

On the shoulder of the left sleeve: Ranger Tab and a MIKE FORCE patch (see pic)

MACV Special Forces Unit Patches

Ranger Tab

CIB (Combat Infantry Badge)

US Jump Wings

South Vietnamese Jump Wings

Here is a pic of the early war style name tapes I'm speaking of...In the US most Army Navy Outlets can custom make them:

Early Name Tape Pattern

I have never ordered from these guys, but their pricing seems good:

Moore Militaria

They carry all of these patches on their web site for between $2-8.00

Good luck

Edit: I have been checking out Moore's web site and much of the web gear you are looking for is also available here...not sure if they ship to the UK but its worth a shot

Well I haven't sorted through everything in this forum, so I'll drop my $0.02 into the box.

I've been extensively researching Special Forces' role in the Indochina Conflict a few years. By far, the most highly trained and well-equipped SF unit that served in Vietnam was code-named SOG (Studies and Observations Groups) under the Military Assistance Command Vietnam. In short, they were known as MACV-SOG. These guys were 100% deniable by our government because they operated covertly inside North Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia conducting highly classified recon missions along the North Vietnamese Army's Ho Chi Minh Trail. These guys are the epitome of Special Forces, in my opinion, even to this day. SOG was all volunteer and employed SF personnel, SEALs, and Air Force commandos, as well as Marine helicopter crews and other discrete units. SOG had access to the world's most extensive library of weapons, including foreign, domestic, and enemy weapons.

In Vietnam, the only Special Forces Group present was the 5th SFG (ABN), 1st SFG (ABN) out of Ft. Bragg, right here in good ol' North Carolina. All SF insignia is the same (see my avatar), but the beret flashes differ from different Groups.

The "tiger stripe" camo was NOT intended for SF personnel only - many LRRP Rangers, SEALs, and even Marine Force Recon units used tiger stripes as well as ARVN (Army of the Republic of South Vietnam) units. SOG commandos acutally preferred taking Od fatigues and painting blotches of black spray paint on them - it was VERY effective.

SF troops were firm believers in the CAR-15, but the first version to reach the battlefield wasn't so great. On the battlefield, all of the Colt carbines were called "CAR-15s" but there were three distinct models:

The original CAR-15 Commando, as named by Colt.

car15.jpg

The next version designated by Colt as the XM177-E1 (note the front section and different foregrips).

XM177pv.jpg

And finally, the XM177-E2 (extended outer barrel as compared to the E1).

xm177.jpg

As I said, in Vietnam, all models were known in the field as CAR-15s, regardless of the distinct features.

This is my WGC CAR-15 (XM177-E1).

Picture_006.sized.jpg

One last thing: The 30-round magazines were NEVER issued to US forces in Vietnam, although MACV-SOG recon men independently bought them and issued them to their teammates so that each man had at least one. The 20-round magazines were somewhat prone to failure when loaded with a full 20 rounds. The spring would often misfeed the rounds, so 18-19 round magazines were far more common. Many guys took two 20-rounders and taped them together so they could be flipped once the first magazine ran dry.

Hello All:

I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here in the States, the Vietnam Green Beret Loadout is a fairly common one. If you want to try a bit of a unique twist you could do a "Mike Force"  Advisor loadout. These guys lead groups of Chinese and Montanyard tribesmen for the CIA. A Typical unit would consist of one American advisor (a sergeant or senior nco) using U.S. gear and weapons (although occasionally they would carry an AK...cool to add a bit of variety to your loadout from time to time) leading a bunch (sometimes as many at 50) of tribesmen and ex-viet cong.

The Mike Force was short for Mobile Strike Force, which was a full company, or larger, of indigenous personnel, usually Montagnard tribesmen, South Vietnamese, or Chinese-Nungs. They were NOT affiliated with the CIA - the Mike Force was a product of Special Forces A-Teams stationed along the border regions of South Vietnam. An A-Team was composed of 12 Green Berets which were cross-trained in Communications, Weapons, Medical, or Demolitions. They would, in turn, train a company-sized force to operate in guerilla warfare to combat the Viet Cong insurgency inside South Vietnam.

but surely the M67 harness wouldnt work with M56 pouches (i assume thats the point of having different designated kit)

Its all interchangeable/backward compatible. If it weren't, the supply situation would get pretty FUBAR in a hurry.

By the way, those ALICE clips suck! Sure, they hold the pouches very securely to the pistol belt - but they can be hard to get on, and they are very uncomfortable to wear (unless you're into self flagellation). What a lot of guys did was to remove them and use 550 cord to fasten the pouches onto the pistol belt and the suspenders onto the pouches - soft, quiet and comfortable.

Oh - "550 cord" is the nylon suspension lines from a parachute. You can buy rolls of the stuff from just about any surplus store.

Archived