How to abuse a .45 Glock

Arnie

I'm slightly surprized hearing that survived so well after hearing some glocks are prone to explode, but I'm sold....after that

Just one word: Reloading !

These storys of exploding and melting guns are mainly caused by overloaded/wrong loaded/reloaded ammunition made in the backyards of some American fools. Personally I would NEVER reload realsteel ammunition, it's unreasonably dangerous compared to the cost-savings of a few Cents per round. Always use factory loaded ammunition, and there is no "Kaboom".

Also, this problem isn't limited to a single brand or polymer weapons as you can see here:

http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom.html

Reloading isn't the main problem with the "exploding Glock" phenomenon. The main problem was that the breeches weren't quite formed correctly on some models. The breech allowed the case to expand on its underside upon firing. Couple this with either a heavily worn case, and / or an overloaded round and you get your breech explosion.

I personally have reloaded many thousands of rounds in the past and have never had a problem. I actually found it good practice to reload as it meant you could lower the charge in each round for different purposes (i.e. low-loading for rapid fire applications to lower recoil, etc...).

Of course, there are people out there who don't have a clue, and those people are going to cause problem statistics. On the Glock particularly though, the design problems they initially had with the breeches can't be overlooked ;)

Glocks still aren't on my list of pistols that I'd consider owning someday...

1. There is NO safety... the trigger "safety" is a joke

2. no external hammer...

3. the grip just doesn't feel right to me

In conclusion... I still say the USP is better.. :)

next reliability test - M16 vs. H&K G36 :P

(I've already seen AK vs. M16... and the AK just refused to die... the M16 on the otherhand... ;) )

Actually, there's two safeties incorporated in to the Glock trigger system. 1) the small lever on the trigger itself, which has to be fully depressed to allow the trigger to be pulled & 2) the trigger itself has to be fully depressed to discharge a round. Don't know if Airsoft versions are like this though. Guess who read the sales pitch on the Glock website. You also forgot the other, most important safety: your finger.

After reading the link, I've come to realise that my two favourite guns also appear to be the most capable of surviving serious abuse: go AKs and Glocks!

Ray

I'm slightly surprized hearing that survived so well after hearing some glocks are prone to explode, but I'm sold....after that

Very true.

It's true that, as R22 says, glocks do, sometimes fail to go fully into battery. It appears that this only happens with non factory loads and re-loaded cases though.

Not to mention, of course, that you mostly only hear about this sort of stuff from die-hard 1911 fans who seem to have a huge chip on their shoulder about, well, anything other than a 1911.

[edit]

AKRay: The Glock Safe Action System comprises 3 seperate safeties.

None of which stop you from pulling the trigger accidentally but I guess the gun had to get in your hand, and pointed at somebody, somehow, right?

It didn't just get there by accident.

Anyway: http://www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm

AKRay: The Glock Safe Action System comprises 3 seperate safeties.

None of which stop you from pulling the trigger accidentally but I guess the gun had to get in your hand, and pointed at somebody, somehow, right?

It didn't just get there by accident.

Anyway: http://www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm

I stand corrected, I knew there was a three in there somewhere. This is what happens when I rely on my memory.

Ray

that little lever on the trigger is a joke...

I'm not worried about my firearm safety... but chances are I wouldn't be the only one who would be using it, therefore I want an actual switch on the side to help satisfy my paranoia on such matters... I also want an external hammer because I want that longer pull for my first shot with a double action...

My mind is set on these matters, there is no changing it, especially from people who've probably never shot a real steel pistol

Funny, I've never shot an RS pistol, but I'd have the same safety concerns. I'd want something I can decock and safe. I appreciate that for law enforcement/military use, something that is instantly ready to go might have it's advantages, but for the rest of us surely safeties are a good idea?

Wait, when did this turn into a "what pistol do you/would you have" thread? :D

:zorro:

Just one word: Reloading !

These storys of exploding and melting guns are mainly caused by overloaded/wrong loaded/reloaded ammunition made in the backyards of some American fools. Personally I would NEVER reload realsteel ammunition, it's unreasonably dangerous compared to the cost-savings of a few Cents per round. Always use factory loaded ammunition, and there is no "Kaboom". 

Also, this problem isn't limited to a single brand or polymer weapons as you can see here:

http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom.html

When done properly, reloading is a very cost effective and safe. Also (as stated below) much of the explosive-Glock stuff was due to improper casting, which (as far as I know) has been fixed.

that little lever on the trigger is a joke...

I'm not worried about my firearm safety... but chances are I wouldn't be the only one who would be using it, therefore I want an actual switch on the side to help satisfy my paranoia on such matters... I also want an external hammer because I want that longer pull for my first shot with a double action...

My mind is set on these matters, there is no changing it, especially from people who've probably never shot a real steel pistol

Sledge this is for you too.

If the user cannot operate a pistol that has no manual safety, he can NOT be trusted to handle ANY firearm. Period. Safety devices are notorious for creating a false sense of safety. You know the phrase how accidents only happen with unloaded guns, or with the safety on? In the hands of a bozo, only a completely deactivated gun is safe.

In my eyes a Glock is actually better for a user that has less training, because there are less levers to operate (confuse the user) and the trigger pull is heavier than most DA guns in SA mode. I carry a SIG Sauer P226 as my duty pistol and I find a first DA followed by SA somewhat confusing - as do most of my mates and people I've talked to. According to our SOP we don't have a round in the chamber so we have to load the gun anyways, so for us the first shot is SA.

This is my opinion that I've formed over the years, having owned handguns since I was 18, currently owning seven firearms, served one year in the military and working currently as a peacekeeper.

On topic... Very impressive, but I'm sure a lot of other guns could also take serious beating before giving up the ghost.

-Sale

Glocks still aren't on my list of pistols that I'd consider owning someday...

2. no external hammer...

3. the grip just doesn't feel right to me

In conclusion... I still say the USP is better..  :)

next reliability test - M16 vs. H&K G36  :P

(I've already seen AK vs. M16... and the AK just refused to die... the M16 on the otherhand...  ;) )

You still want a usp after seeing how "great" they hold up to the elements.

I've shot the USP, it fit my hand VERY well, and it was VERY accurate... and oh so smooth... not too many guns can make me grin from ear to ear like that, but the USP did :D

And I really don't plan on burying it in the sand or throwing it out of a vehicle either.. for what I plan on using it for it is by far the best choice for me...

I also know a safety can fail, seen it happen, but it helps satisfy my rabid paranoia on such matters (working on a rifle range for 2 years does that to most people)

Every firearm I have has a safety switch, never had any problems before, just don't rely on it and use some common sense (a safety is no substitute for common sense) :)

And I really don't plan on burying it in the sand or throwing it out of a vehicle either.. for what I plan on using it for it is by far the best choice for me...

I also know a safety can fail, seen it happen, but it helps satisfy my rabid paranoia on such matters (working on a rifle range for 2 years does that to most people)

Every firearm I have has a safety switch, never had any problems before, just don't rely on it and use some common sense (a safety is no substitute for common sense)  :)

I agree that most hobbyists take care of their guns so they really don't have to be built to withstand those kind of tests. It's more like a "nice to know"-type of thing. You're also very right about the fact that a safety is no substitute for basically anything. But aren't you contradicting yourself when you say you have paranoia about guns without safety levers?

I've actively shot at an indoor shooting range for four and a half years and gotten to know the personnell very well. They also train people who carry guns in their job. Every one of them agrees that a safety lever is only confusing to less experienced users, and that no gun can be handed over to an complete newbie without strict attention and guidance from a professional firearms trainer - safety switch or not.

My competition pistol is single action with a manual safety, as I prefer to have it that way. In fact my revolver and Glock are my only guns that don't have a separate lever to block trigger movement. Still, I like to see guns without unnecessary control levers and a little heavier triggers for the police and other less proficient gun users.

-Sale

Archived