Holster Preference?

hivemind

Which variety of pistol holster do you prefer?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which variety of pistol holster do you prefer?

• Hip
    • Crossdraw
    • Thigh
    • Shoulder
    • Ankle
    • Something strange I'll describe below...

Depending on loadout/impression:

I've never been a fan of shoulder holsters anyway. I think they only suit very specific circumstances like vehicles or certain concealment situations. The Eagle & HSGI "tankers" rigs look pretty good though.

UK DPM kit.

PLCE issue holster either on shoulder rig or belt. It's equally ###### in both positions. I really don't like anything on the thigh or hip for woodland as I find it just snags or the pistol/mag gets lost. An embuggerance! :P Probably go to a UM92 at some point.

SWAT/CRW.

BHI Dropleg with a bungie over the pistol butt (Lanyards *fruitcage* me off). Very stable & comfortable for CQB. Reasonably fast clean draw and reholstering.

MOUT Multicam.

M93R in HSGI dropleg. Surprisingly comfortable even with a big pistol. However it's still an *albartroth* to reholster because of the compensator & foregrip. Need more dry runs too I expect.

Concealed working carry.

Now like many before me I've tried a lot of holsters including IWB, pancakes & ankle holsters. My current all round top three holsters are all belt slide fitting, mainly as I find them the most comfortable & workable.

In reverse order:

3) Glock Industries belt holster. Tiny polymer thing, costs a couple of quid. However the KWA/KSC G19 binds in it and is a pain but most other airsoft Glocks work fine. Not too comfy for all day wear though.

2) Vega belt slide. Molded nylon with thumb break. Sits very well on me & is extremely robust. Probably as fast a draw as the above and works for all my pistols no problem. however it needs the thumb snap done up to be even partially secure.

1) Galco Leather Yaqi belt holster. Comfortable for long term wear. Very simple in design. Adjustable retention. Very compact, similar in size to Glock poly holster. I'm a new convert to leather holster & it looks fine (& smells funky). Very easy to reholster and "learn" the correct draw & reholstering movement as well. But *fruitcage* me is it a quick draw, Warp factor 14 Kip'tin! :)

Regards, The Waco Kid (Fastest gun in Rockridge). :gun:

high - thigh holster - i dont like them low.

eagle mk5, bhi omega vi

i usually take off one of the two straps as well.

if ive got nothing on the belt, i wouldve had it on the belt, but ive often got stuff on the belt so its not an option usually.

my holster is dropleg because you dont have to stick your elbow inside your shoulder to grab the gun and if you're lying down. it's easier to grab the drop leg than the hip/crossdraw ones.

next preference is hip ones because it's those speed draw ones :P that's about it :P

I really like belt but it gets in the way of vests and vice versa. Too bad.

Got a great Galco shoulder holster, but in tactical gear, it just doesn't work.

Crossdraw holsters are a pain to get to and to reholster, plus they take the most abuse when you're prone or running through brush.

Thigh holsters catch branches and are usually adjusted to low to be easy to get to, which also makes them very stupid looking. I'm a big fan of the HGSI Dropleg with flap: The HGSI

This one at least protects the pistol.

I'm a hip holster fan when using my Full Metal M190, as drop legs always seem gradually seek my knee, and then tangle me up at the worst possible moment. Typically, I know well in advance if I need to transition to my pistol, so Quick draw is not too much of a concern, and it just feels more secure there. That said, I use a drop leg or shoulder rig with smaller framed pistols like my Glock 27, depending on what I'm using as a primary and what the mission is.

Depends on the gun I'm running with any more.

When I had my TM SIG 226, I ran with a TT modular holster - right on the front of my BHI Plate carrier, that I wore under my ISSAK. So it would fit right in the middle of my chest, between my two 100 round pouches.

Before that for my 18C, and my MEU, And even now with my WE Hi-capa, I run with a thigh holster for the most part. Gets it out of the way.

I did have a hip holster for my 18C, it was comfortable, but odd to draw at when I was prone and such. Kinda important since I was a sniper at the time and crawled around everywhere.

Most people enjoy thigh holsters, I do.

Having it on my chest was nice, since it didn't get in the way of anything. And with my ISSAK pouches filled to capacity, it was hard to reach around them in a quick fashion.

Though, when I get my USP - I'll probably go thigh rig again.

Thigh holsters catch branches and are usually adjusted to low to be easy to get to, which also makes them very stupid looking.  I'm a big fan of the HGSI Dropleg with flap: The HGSI

This one at least protects the pistol.

yeah, i use a BHI omega vi with drop flap - good coverage for the pistol.

Airsoft: I like a leg holster. It's a lot more natural for me, and I can switch from my M4 on a 3-point sling to my M9 in my leg holster in roughly one second. With all of my gear on, it's the best kind of holster for me.

Real world: hip. I love my hip holster. I have a lot of practice with it, and I can have my pistol out in about one second. I really preffer the hip holster, but as monk said, it gets in the way of my vest. Plus with my normal non-airsoft clothes I have more mobility, so getting to a hip holster is not difficult.

I used to despise leg holsters, until i got my beloved 6004, it's the *beep* doesn't move what so ever my leg moves before it does :P, plus if you have alot of stuff around your waist etc. it's hard to get to a belt holster sometimes, so it's easier if it's on your thigh out the way

I can attest to the quality of the Galco leather stuff as a couple have already said.

I have an FBI canted Galco for my USP Compact (not entirely sure what model), and when broken in, the draw is smooth as f*ck. Really nice thumb-snap, and fairly easy to reholster (although not as much as a Kydex or Nylon one, as there's more resistance due to the leather). Doesn't move about, it's dead comfy to wear (unless you sit down for a while, but hey) and I've never had the retention fail.

I need a proper loadout for it now...

My first choice is the Safariland 6004 drop-leg retension holster. An excellent piece of kit that allows a quick draw and re-holstering (unlike thumbbreaks, which can be a little fiddly if you've got gloves on). Plus, it's difficult for a suspect/hostage/kinky girlfriend/etc... to disarm you and shoot you with your own pistol. Finally, it holds the mag release far enough away from your body to avoid you dropping mags all over the place - which seems to be a common occurrence in airsoft.

My (joint) second choice would be either a hip-mounted BHI SERPA retension holster (if only because of its speed), or a hip-mounted Uncle Mike's triple retension holster (takes some getting used to, but it's an interesting piece of kit, and an associate of mine swears by it). I would only consider wearing a hip-mounted pistol for concealed carry purposes, since they tend to get in the way if you're using a vest with pouches all along your midriff, and especially if you're wearing the vest over body armour.

One of our DarkAngels is in the flying squad, and he loves his BHI SERPA holster. Though the issued sidearm tends to be the Glock17, many officers opt for the Glock 19, since it's more compact. Since they're only travelling light, it makes sense to go for the hip-mounted SERPA holster in this case.

One holster that i'm not a big fan of is the small-of-the-back holster. It looks cool, but i always find it somewhat difficult to reholster the pistol. Not my cup of tea i'm afraid.

In conclusion, it's worth spending a bit of extra cash on a gucci holster, since it'll save you money on broken guns and lost mags, and it'll also save you some dignity on cutting down those embarrassingly long transition times :)

Archived