Tips for visiting Hong Kong?

Furey

This will probs sounds dumb to all of you lot, but whats the deal with trnasporting airsoft guns through airports through Britain to wherever. What do you have to do ???????

(sorry if it sounds dumb, but would like to know) 

Thanks guys

U.K. Law states that anything not brought in the E.U. that has a value over £149 (I think thats wright) you have to declare and pay import charges and VAT there should be no problem with the toys themselves as long as they are boxed.

However when I visited Hong Kong over a year a-go I sent my new toys back to myself and filled my case with gadgets instead!

Reading this thread brings back memories, especially of discovering all the shops and markets near to or on Nathan Road (I think thats the right name). While your there get yourself a hand made suit or perhaps just some shirts. I spent so long shopping that I felt I didn't get enough exploring done of the rest of Hong Kong!

While we are at this, have anyone tried bring airsoft guns TO hk?

The official power limit in HK is 2 Joules.

After retrieving your luggage and passed through Immigration, you will encounter Customs. One of two things will happen,

1. Customs will wave you through and don't check anything.

or,

2. Customs stops you to ask if you have anything to declare. Just tell them you have an AEG and you're here in HK for a WARGAME!!! Just mention WARGAME and they'll understand. Remember, the operative word is WARGAME!!! Not aeg, not airsoft, not TM, not CA, not gbb..... just WARGAME!! They'll understand that. :D

Wow! im going to enjoy this! :wide-eyed:

im going with a buddy who doesnt play airsoft, sounds like im going to have to jettison him for a few days :) im sure he can keep himself occupied.

this has officialy ceased to be a holiday, and is now a pilgrimage to the airsoft mecca. i dont know if there are any games on but im there from the 26th march to the 3rd of april, i think im going to bring a little kit with me just in case. in any case it sounds like i wont be bored in HK!

by the way, cqb site located in a mall????? im used to playing around old farms/grubby warehouses! i can see that this is airsoft on a whole new level.

oh, when is comes to haggling, dont try it with the germans. i got in a fight once because i tried to haggle the price down for a big group at go-karting :huh: i guess i'll have to re-learn the old haggle skills.

cheers for all the info and offers of help gents, you sure are a friendly bunch. had no idea this forum was so international.

Oh,  did I forget to mention? HAGGLE.  Nine times out of ten the listed price is not actually what the sellers give it for, especially to exploitable westerners.  Electronics in the Tsim Sha Tsui district.  Do NOT be exploited.

Well, you can try to haggle, but remember that small airsoft shops in Mong Kok are not like relatively overpriced shops with electronics in Tsim Sha Tsui which target tourists.

NO BARGAIN, NO EXCHANGE, NO REFUND is typical. Prices are set pretty low, there is no space for any discount unless you buy a lot of stuff.

There are however some exceptions, like Supremeco and several shops selling gear.

Wow! im going to enjoy this!  :wide-eyed:

im going with a buddy who doesnt play airsoft, sounds like im going to have to jettison him for a few days :) im sure he can keep himself occupied.

this has officialy ceased to be a holiday, and is now a pilgrimage to the airsoft mecca. i dont know if there are any games on but im there from the 26th march to the 3rd of april, i think im going to bring a little kit with me just in case. in any case it sounds like i wont be bored in HK!

by the way, cqb site located in a mall????? im used to playing around old farms/grubby warehouses! i can see that this is airsoft on a whole new level.

oh, when is comes to haggling, dont try it with the germans. i got in a fight once because i tried to haggle the price down for a big group at go-karting :huh: i guess i'll have to re-learn the old haggle skills.

cheers for all the info and offers of help gents, you sure are a friendly bunch. had no idea this forum was so international.

Matt,

What kind of kit are you thinking of bringing? The rentals here includes bdu's, an aeg, bb's, lunch box, bottled water and transport. Unless you're thinking of buying an aeg while you're here.

Remember, the operative word is WARGAME!!! Not aeg, not airsoft, not TM, not CA, not gbb..... just WARGAME!! They'll understand that. 
LMFAO. Yes listen to the man, don't mention anything technical, don't say you have an uber 1337 Colt M4A1 R.I.S. with uber lit surefire. Just say WARGAME! Lotsa people know what wargame is surprisingly.

Also, if anyone with the surname 'Mak' approaches you, you're advised to wear ear protection.
A friend of urban-ninja eh. lol
Good idea ifyoujump, I take it they keep all the camo patterns in stock? :D  :P

Check with Bronney; there's a place in Wan Chai (directly opposite UNCompany) that's selling knock-off (but exceptional quality) CADPAT for knock-off prices (around 200+ HKD).

Other than that, there's tonnes of places selling all kinds of BDU cammo.

Check with Bronney; there's a place in Wan Chai (directly opposite UNCompany) that's selling knock-off (but exceptional quality) CADPAT for knock-off prices (around 200+ HKD).

Other than that, there's tonnes of places selling all kinds of BDU cammo.

Actually I was joking about the camo'. I thought he was talking about a cheap Gucci/Armani copy or something and not actually about camo' gear and I thought it would be, er...you know...well...um, oh never mind :D

cadpat armani suit. what a trend setter!

will remember the 'wargame' thing. ta.

Matt,

What kind of kit are you thinking of bringing? The rentals here includes bdu's, an aeg, bb's, lunch box, bottled water and transport. Unless you're thinking of buying an aeg while you're here.

hmm, that sounds like a good deal. how much does all that cost? was going to take the essentials- a set of combats, boots, mask, chest rig and a compact aeg with mags. quite fancy buying an M14 over there though.

hope they stock fat westerner squaddie bdu sizes!

It's not CADPAT. It's MARPAT, and it's $290 with boonie last time I got mine.
cadpat armani suit. what a trend setter!

will remember the 'wargame' thing. ta.

hmm, that sounds like a good deal. how much does all that cost? was going to take the essentials- a set of combats, boots, mask, chest rig and a compact aeg  with mags. quite fancy buying an M14 over there though.

hope they stock fat westerner squaddie bdu sizes!

If you're thinking of bringing all of that over, then you're just paying for transport, lunch and admission fee; about hkd120 to hkd150 depending on the site. Check your PM regarding M14.

Regarding Brining AS to HK: As long as your AS gun does not exceed the energy limit, which I forgot what it was (was it 1.3J?), and provided your AS makes it okay in your luggage on the outbound. Then again .. why bring sand to the beach ??

Regarding Haggling for AS: As someone already mentioned -- don't expect 25% discounts from haggling. In fact -- don't even expect 10% on guns. As a reference -- we just bought 15 pieces of TM M1A1 Thompsons from a shop and we got the grand discount of HK$30 off per gun (that's less than 4 dollars US). That tells you something -- the margin on whole guns is something less than 5% in HK.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought it better to drag this topic back 'up' than start another...

This is aimed mostly at the HK members...

I'm coming over to HK on 28th March with my family (Wife and 4 kids) to visit my Sister-in-law and her family (Husband and 1 kid)

She's been living and working in HK for over 12 years so knows it well (but not the Airsoft side of things..)

Her Husband is just getting 'into' Airsoft, probably something to do with firing my Thompson, M16, M11, M92F, etc when they were over here a few weeks back. :P

They're looking into joining in a couple of games while we're over (for 2 weeks) but obviously you HK based guys already know all the 'ins-and-outs' of Airsoft in HK ;)

What's the age limit for 'walk-ons'? My 2 sons are 18 and 15 (in june)

Do all the sites do walk-ons and gun/gear rental?

Thanks guys.

Hardly any age limit. I've played in games where 13 year olds were in. As long as they are sensible, then they can play. (Though they are supposedly required to have parental consent).

As for walk-ons, not very sure about those. Most paid-sites require you to have a large-ish group and book in advanced... I'm sure other more experienced HK softers can help you out here! But for sure, if the location is a pay site, full rental equipment is available.

Am I invited? :D

IMO -- the best type of Airsoft outting for your needs in that you are a toursit family with players with light or no field experience is to go to a dedicated field that will be open during the time window you have slated (as opposed to a club organized outting).

Typically -- I believe the fields are open only on weekends when demand is highest for AS play. I can recommend a friend of mine who owns & operates two fields, both in eastern Kowloon. The fields he runs supplies rental guns & face masks minimum included in the fee (not certain on elbow/knee pads or BDU's which they might have also). The upside on these two particular fields is their strict rule of enforcing no modified guns (all rentals are Marui AK Beta standard power). Now, you might look at this as some what of a kill-joy. But believe me .. you don't want to take your 15 year old with no skirmish experience to a field with a bunch of gearheads with highly modified guns. Even if a field allows moderately modified guns -- your rentals will be standards power, and you'll be at a serious disadvantage.

Now you may be wondering why some if not most fields enforce such rules ? Well, according to my friend, the most lucrative segment of the business are newbies to the sport who are just starting out (and this includes a lot of women surprisingly!). The gearheads, while owners of impressive guns & gear, don't spend much money at the fields in comparison.

So, if this sounds like the type of venue you'd like to try, you can contact him by email in advance, and if his facilities are opened on the days you have available -- you can ask him to assist you AFA giving you the best information on transportation to his fields. He also owns a military surplus shop that occasionally deals in Airsoft guns (hint: ask him about the Stararms SA80). Here is his contact information:

Mr. Ben/Advance Military Shop

email: sa80tam@netvigator.com

Good luck, and good hunting! ;)

Hardly any age limit. I've played in games where 13 year olds were in. As long as they are sensible, then they can play. (Though they are supposedly required to have parental consent).

As for walk-ons, not very sure about those. Most paid-sites require you to have a large-ish group and book in advanced... I'm sure other more experienced HK softers can help you out here! But for sure, if the location is a pay site, full rental equipment is available.

Am I invited?  :D

That's cool. My 13 year old daughter is a bit of a tomboy and wants to do a game...

My Sister-in-law says some of the guys in her office are interested so there may be enough for a group...

Of course you (and any others too) are invited, it'd be great to meet up with some Arnies members. The more the better.

IMO -- the best type of Airsoft outting for your needs in that you are a toursit family with players with light or no field experience is to go to a dedicated field that will be open during the time window you have slated (as opposed to a club organized outting).

Typically -- I believe the fields are open only on weekends when demand is highest for AS play. I can recommend a friend of mine who owns & operates two fields, both in eastern Kowloon. The fields he runs supplies rental guns & face masks minimum included in the fee (not certain on elbow/knee pads or BDU's which they might have also). The upside on these two particular fields is their strict rule of enforcing no modified guns (all rentals are Marui AK Beta standard power). Now, you might look at this as some what of a kill-joy. But believe me .. you don't want to take your 15 year old with no skirmish experience to a field with a bunch of gearheads with highly modified guns. Even if a field allows moderately modified guns -- your rentals will be standards power, and you'll be at a serious disadvantage.

Now you may be wondering why some if not most fields enforce such rules ? Well, according to my friend, the most lucrative segment of the business are newbies to the sport who are just starting out (and this includes a lot of women surprisingly!). The gearheads, while owners of impressive guns & gear, don't spend much money at the fields in comparison.

So, if this sounds like the type of venue you'd like to try, you can contact him by email in advance, and if his facilities are opened on the days you have available -- you can ask him to assist you AFA giving you the best information on transportation to his fields. He also owns a military surplus shop that occasionally deals in Airsoft guns (hint: ask him about the Stararms SA80). Here is his contact information:

Mr. Ben/Advance Military Shop

email: sa80tam@netvigator.com

Good luck, and good hunting! ;)

Thanks for that Menatarms. Not bothered about standard guns, good for the kids as you said.

Hope to meet some of you guys when I'm there... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

go to wanchai or somewhere in Mongkok, its practically the airsoft black market. Shops such as dentrinty, UN, redwolf etc. But as someone mentioned before, the guys there arent too great at english, ive learned that the hard way. Maybe you should bring some pics of the things you want.

Archived