TM M14 (OD) to SOCOM 16 or SOCOM II

nextmayor

I've started pulling together my money and plans for my next AEG. I've decided that I want a Springfield SOCOM 16 or SOCOM II AEG. I know that G&G already make exactly what I'm looking for, but based on the spotting opinion of G&G AEG's and the questionable amount of time that you'll be able to find parts for it, I've decided to base my SOCOM 16 off a TM M14.

Without actually owning a TM M14, here is what I think I'll need for this project. Looks like I'll just need the short barrel, SOCOM 16 Flash Hider, and Scout Handguards / Scope Mount. IMO, it sounds a little too easy, so I was hoping someone could check out my parts list. Of particular concern to me is if the G&P Scout Type Scope Mount will work with the FF Short Outter Barrel. Additionally, if you see any other parts that are missing or are incompatible, please let me know

Marui M14 (Fibrer Style OD Stock)

tm_aeg_m14od_low.jpg

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...-M14OD_srch_M14

First Factory Socom Type Front Site Set for Marui M14 Series

ff_acc_sfs_low.jpg

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...CC-SFS_srch_M14

First Factory Outer Barrel Shorty for Marui M14 Series

ff_acc_obm14s_low.jpg

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...OBM14S_srch_M14

G&P M14 Scouting Type Scope Mount Base

gp_smb_445_low.jpg

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...MB-445_srch_M14

I'm leaning towards the SOCOM 16 and not the SOCOM II, but I haven't yet made up my mind. While I haven't seen a replica of the exact RIS from the SOCOM II yet, I think I could get by with one of the replica M14 RIS's that are out and a bottom rail on the stock. Here's are the parts I'm talking about.

First Factory M14 Bottom Rail

ff_acc_m14br_low.jpg

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...-M14BR_srch_M14

VFC M14 RAS (Outport Version)

vfc_mk_m14ras01_low.jpg

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...4RAS01_srch_M14

Thanks for the help. If anyone has done a conversion like this, I'd really like to see some pictures.

My buddy Denis has started down that road with his TM:

mini-IMG_1043.jpg

I think he's waiting on his outer barrel, though (he had another buddy cut the original one), and trying to buy my RAS (NO WAY, DENIS!), and I'm not sure which flashhider he has on it right now. His looks so nice I may do it to.

My feet are still cold - stupid 5.11 boots aren't waterproof.

Waiting on outer barrel, yup. Pictured is the stock barrel that went under the knife. For whatever reason, the threads are goofed on my outer barrel, so the FF outer will replace the pictured one soon.

I have a VFC suppressor that includes a Vortec flash hider that'll go on once I get the new outer barrel. I wasn't partial to the SOCOM flash hider assembly, but it's personal taste.

As far as the scout base, I think you may run into trouble as the description of the FF barrel indicates that it's thicker for better stability. Depends where the base mounts, though. Looks like it mounts to the tube portion of the outer barrel as opposed to the chamber block/handguard detents.

Been there done that :P...all except for the flashhider since that just got released. But now I'm changing it again but this time to an SE M14.

You forgot the inner barrel. If you go with the First factory you might be stuck with their inner barrel. Since their short inner barrel is listed as 420mm while both PDI/KM has theirs at 450mm.

Er, just bunging a lower rail onto your m14's stock wont make it look anything like the real socom II.

The socom II has its own ris system and according to springfield will NOT be sold seperately, at least at the current moment.

Based on my concern and Wupjak's comments about the G&P Scout Mount fitting on the FF Short Barrel, I wrote WGC. They confirmed that those 2 parts are not compatible. So are there any other options for a TM M14 Based SOCOM 16?

If not, there is still the G&G SOC 16. From my understanding, it takes some tinkering to get it to be reliable and consistant, but what about the parts? I've heard that a lot of TM parts from different version mechboxes fit the G&G M14 mechbox, but what about the cylinder head? Has anyone replace the G&G cylinder head with an after market one? If so, what did you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

man I hate doing that.

so, yeah, I totally want to do this too. I'm leaning towards the GnG just for the matte finish, sinse the soc16 is the only reason I like the m14 to begin with.. but I hear the TM, after reading these forums for hours, is just gorgeous.

so I'm bumping this up, to keep the discussion going, or to get an update.. maybe someone can save me a buck.. : )

Bump

man I hate doing that.

so, yeah, I totally want to do this too. I'm leaning towards the GnG just for the matte finish, sinse the soc16 is the only reason I like the m14 to begin with.. but I hear the TM, after reading these forums for hours, is just gorgeous.

so I'm bumping this up, to keep the discussion going, or to get an update.. maybe someone can save me a buck.. : )

Thats a terrible reason to like an M14......... There are about 10238971098374109834 threads on the differences, pros and cons of the TM and G&G models. Go through and read those threads AGAIN because any half assed amount of reading will tell you its probably better to get the TM ^_^ Although I whole heartededly disagree with the SOCOM16's since they ruin a perfect gun, but its better then the STAR or EBR stocks....

Archived