The Future of Weaponry

Fuser

Over the next few decades, which company will beat out the rest?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Over the next few decades, which company will beat out the rest?

• Armalites, whoever's design
    • Heckler & Koch
    • Fabrique Nationale
    • Steyer
    • Sig Sauer
    • Other
    • AFTER THE APOCALYPSE EVERYONE WILL HAVE AK-47'S!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the wonderful 10mm every likely to see military service?  :)

Didn't the FBI try a 10mm Smith & Wesson cartridge? IIRC their Hostage Rescue Team uses a variant of the MP5 chambered for this round, but when they tried using it in a sidearm (again a Smith & Wesson design, the 1006 or something?) it went a bit pear-shaped. Think it was brought on after that shootout in the eighties between two ex-army bank robbers and half-a-dozen FBI agents in which both robbers and two agents were killed and the remaining agents were all wounded.

Anyhoo, that's the only 10mm round I can think of off the top of my head and sitting at my work PC... dunno of a 10mm rifle round....

western govts will kit out their professional standing armies with what they perceive is the best available technology (or best balance of tech versus cost) on basis of the sort of wars/confluicst/security duties that those standing armies are likely to have to participate in.

they wont buy AKs

I suspect because all govts know that if they're ever stuck in a situation where the war they end up fighting is one where they actually need an assault rifle to equip a mass mobilized conscript army in as short an amount of time as possible ... they can go ahead and rattle off AK based designs by the bucketload at pretty short notice anyway :)

AK-47... when you absolutely have got to arm every motherf---er in the country. Accept no substitutes

Er... that would depend on the load.

A shotgun with a rifled bore and firing a sabot is basically a very large caliber rifle....

Shot has a 1:1 l/w ratio. Technically, if a shotgun is loaded with a single, rifle, slug it becomes a rifle. Thats why elephant guns are termed guns, not shotguns...because they can be rifled or smoothbore.

It all depends on the technical definition of a rifle round. By the definition I know, P90 is one.

Actually, the definition I have listed for a pistol is a firearm that can be concealed inside one's clothing. A fuzzy definition that includes, technically, the MP7, P90 and MP5K. Depends on the clothing I guess.

I agree to disagree on the P90 - I still reckon its a rifle.

Archived