Buying a Domain

Vicks

Howdy all,

Just wanted to quick bit of help how would i go about buying a internet domain? And do i make a one off payment or pay monthly (guessing it depends if i buy the domain or rent *duh*) And is there a different proceedure for buying .com and .co.uk 's ?

Also how do you work out if a domain is completely empty, or if somebody have bought it and just not put anything in it? I've search the domain i want and google just comes back with:

"Sorry, no information is available for the URL *****

If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the following link: *****

Find web pages from the site ******

Find web pages that contain the term "******"

Thanks for any help,

Vicks.

Go to a provider like 1and1.com and search for the domain, you can buy it from them too, 1 pag redirect, 5 page mini site of 500megs of space for whatever you want.. stuff like that, search for hosting companys or somesuch and check out teh competition first before buying.

Edit: I would clean that up but.. well you get the idea. Who needs grammar really?

If you type in a web address and you just get "page cannot be displayed", this is a good indicator that the domain name hasn't been registered (although you should do a WHOIS report to double-check - use www.whois.sc)

If on the other hand you get up a page that says "this domain name is for sale" then the chances are that it's been registered by a cybersquatter who will basically sell the domain name to the highest bidder.

AVOID these, because you'll pay through the nose.

hehe wasn't quite thinking of that but thanks :D

Also it would seem you can only rent domains (for peanuts though) is it not possible to buy the domain out right or would i need severs and all that jazz for it?

Edit: Posted same time as gazchap;

Yea my brother had a few run-ins with cybersquatters when trying to get the domains he wanted, but he's in spain at the moment for his birthday so can't get hold of him to ask. But checked on 1and1.co.uk (gonna get .co.uk as it's much cheaper, i am a poor student after all :rolleyes: ) and seems the one(s) i want are avalible. So all looking good, now just need to start thinking about building the site :P

If you have your own servers tehn you;ll just be getting a company to register teh domain name so everyone knows that yourdomain.com knows which computer to point to.. if you don't have a server then choose teh best hosting package and then they get it to point to their servers.

What kind of site are you looking to ake? Something that will expand or just a few simple pages? Also check out the ffeatures, you might pay extra for PHP/SQL included, iif you don't need that see if there are ones without it they may be less.

Edit:

I do web design so if you need hands with PHP, Flash/Actionscript or HTML/CSS then MSN/PM me.

http://www.lookingfortrouble.org/Rachel is one example (I haven't really had a bash at doing a truly professional site yet - but that's the closest I've come :))

When anyone buys a domain, they don't own it technically. They're all owned by the domain provider (in .co.uk's case, Nominet UK)

But you do get a right to use it.

You don't need a server or anything for it, but you do need hosting space of some kind if you want to use it for a website. It could be something as simple as having free webspace from your ISP, as most domain names allow you to forward them on to another server.

Payment for domains is usually annual. I believe I have one paid for 3 years.

If you buy a domain, you'll need a webserver to do anything with it. You could use your own computer, but that'll take away your bandwidth and system resources. For a good price, you can get a pretty good hosting plan with many companies. Many of these companies will throw in one (sometimes more) domain name with the plan.

For example, 1and1.com (1and1.co.uk for the UK) is what I use. They offered me 2 free domains that I guess I'll get to use until I stop using 1and1. I can use both domains with a single plan, and have two completely different websites. I suggest you look more into 1and1 and consider them as an option.

Aye it was 1and1.co.uk i was looking at, only gonna cost me £1.99 (£2.34 with VAT) a year for the domain i want, but thats for the "Instant Domain" with that package can i just build the site and then upload it, or do i need to buy extras. From logic point of view i would think that i have to pay for hosting as well? sorry for the fairly silly questions, normally ask my brother but as i say he's out the country.

Taa

Vicks

Thats just for domain parking, basically tells other people that vicks.co.uk is taken.. ill get you a link for what you might want..

Edit: the "Instant Website" looks like their cheapest for actual webpages to be displayed. It says you get FTP access so you could make the pages yourself and upload them if you dont want to use their site builder.

It doesn't say if it's limited to only 8 html pages or what.. thats what I presume (when I first got my domain with them one of the offers was for a 5 page only site for small, low-cost sites)

Edit 2: Thair Hosting Home is an alright deal £4 a month and you get to use PHP (but not databases.. pish) but like I said before.. have a look around. If 99.9% uptime isn't going to be a massive concern you may find cheaper more flexible deals with smaller companies.

Aye it was 1and1.co.uk i was looking at, only gonna cost me £1.99 (£2.34 with VAT) a year for the domain i want, but thats for the "Instant Domain" with that package can i just build the site and then upload it, or do i need to buy extras.

It's literally just the domain. If you want to do anything with it you need webspace. Get a hosting package from 1and1 that has a domain bundled with it and you'll have everything you need.

try www.godaddy.com I think it 8.95 a domain. I've bought 50 domains from them so far. The hosting you'll need seperately. They'll give you DNS information and you input that information with your registrar.

I'm not a fan of GoDaddy. One of their most recent acts:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523012

I much prefer www.namecheap.com - best registrar I've dealt with yet.

Archived